No announcement yet.

Daily routine leading up to a fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos of fighters that do weight lifting with their training

And the list goes on and on and on. Weight training helps you get stronger mostly the shoulders, you are less prone to injure your shoulders when you weight train them.

You get your legs stronger as well from where the power comes and feel stronger during runs.

You don't have to train like a body builder but IMO you have to include some weight lifting.

Ricky Hatton is another example of using weights (he used to train with a trainer for body builders). How many times you saw him gassed out?

Masato from K-1 he used to lift as well, see some of his highlights, his boxing skills where very good.

Buakaw:

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      My reason against lifting is this. Lifting heavy weights for strength is terrible for boxing because:

You train too many muscles to activate at once, a professional boxer trains his body to only use the muscles he needs. The arm has pulling muscles and pushing muscles for example - the pulling muscles shouldnt be activated when throwing a punch. This is why oldschool boxers looked so smooth. Too a nooby you don't feel like you are hitting hard unless you engage more muscles, but it's an illusion - some of those are holding you back. Heavy weight lifting is something that tightens you up (YES IT DOES) because the entire movement is not something you will ever use in boxing and goes against everything boxing is about. ALSO, this is from personal experience. Most guys are doing it to look ripped, sorry to say.

Being strong in boxing has a lot more to do with stamina and balance than it does about your numbers with weights.

I am also disagreeing with these coaches that claim they have the science to back it up. I don't think they understand boxing. they understand the human body but not how boxing uses it. Thats the problem.

The reason why guys like Foreman are so strong is because they are NATURALLY strong by default, and also limber because thats how they trained. Joshua is not very strong or dangerous considering his size because he is a tight ball of muscle he has built up, he isn't using it and most of it is going against him than for him.

and yes I can think of 1500 fighters in the past that would obliterate Canelo, I can think of 3 that already have beat him. So forget about that 52-1 record lol.

Show me Lomachenko doing any type of power lifting please, I don't believe he does - he moves around like an oldschool fighter and has no tension in his body. Please show me this guy "lifts" for strength. shadow boxing with hand weights doesn't count.

Him vs Gary russel is literally the perfect example of a an oldschool style speed vs new school fake explosive speed. Gary russel looks fast to a noob because hes coiling and yelling to get his punches off, but non of them land. He landed maybe 5 real punches in 12 rounds against Loma in all seriousness. If he was so fast how come he couldn't hit him? because he telegraphs everything, he's too stiff. His "speed" comes at a cost. Lomachenko is smooth and unreadable, has no tension in his body.

Canelo is another example, if you slowed his tapes down and ignored compufraud you wouldn't believe how low his connect percentage is, and how often the punches he does connect with aren't effective or flush. (grazing shots).

Loma Interview:

On sparring days, I’ll have a more carbohydrate-heavy diet, which gives me more energy to spar more rounds and not get tired. Sparring is extremely important in preparing for a fight, and it all starts with my diet. I wake up at 5 a.m. each morning to begin. I start by running outside for an hour or so. I come back and work with my sports psychologist, who trains my mind for the battle inside the ring. Then I rest and have a full breakfast at about 10 a.m. At noon, I begin my workout, which is either swimming, weightlifting, or even additional cardio. I play tennis and basketball as well. It all depends on what my father tells me to do.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post

And the list goes on and on and on. Weight training helps you get stronger mostly the shoulders, you are less prone to injure your shoulders when you weight train them.

You get your legs stronger as well from where the power comes and feel stronger during runs.

You don't have to train like a body builder but IMO you have to include some weight lifting.

Ricky Hatton is another example of using weights (he used to train with a trainer for body builders). How many times you saw him gassed out?

Masato from K-1 he used to lift as well, see some of his highlights, his boxing skills where very good.

Buakaw:

Those are some good finds.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          Those are some good finds.
          Thanks the Nigel Benn one is the best, very rare IMO.

Comment

Buakaw:

dude literally you are proving my point.

Broner and Canelo = stiff lifted fighters. the worst kind.

Tyson = past prime video of him and not doing him any good

Comment

Loma Interview:

On sparring days, I’ll have a more carbohydrate-heavy diet, which gives me more energy to spar more rounds and not get tired. Sparring is extremely important in preparing for a fight, and it all starts with my diet. I wake up at 5 a.m. each morning to begin. I start by running outside for an hour or so. I come back and work with my sports psychologist, who trains my mind for the battle inside the ring. Then I rest and have a full breakfast at about 10 a.m. At noon, I begin my workout, which is either swimming, weightlifting, or even additional cardio. I play tennis and basketball as well. It all depends on what my father tells me to do.

absolutely nothing in that video that says Loma is "lifting" his broken english version of weight lifting is handweights.

He's using the cable and probably a high rep leg extension. but nothing close to what comes to mind when somebody claims to lift eights. Not heavy squats or benching etc. Which he doesnt do. Guarenteed.

Comment

dude literally you are proving my point.

Broner and Canelo = stiff lifted fighters. the worst kind.

Tyson = past prime video of him and not doing him any good
                Tyson used to bench press 100Kg when he was just 13 years old, not when he was past his prime.

I don't see Canelo as a stiff fighter...Footwork wise not so great, but hands he is a fast fighter, and even defense. So not stiff IMO.

Broner was lifting weights even when he was undefeated and before the Maidana fight.
                Last edited by KidDinamita; 09-09-2019, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Tyson used to bench press 100Kg when he was just 13 years old, not when he was past his prime.

I don't see Canelo as a stiff fighter...Footwork wise not so great, but hands he is a fast fighter, and even defense. So not stiff IMO.

Broner was lifting weights even when he was undefeated and before the Maidana fight.
                  no, Tyson bench pressed to see how much he could. he wasn't regularly bench pressing as apart of his routine. thats how the story goes. I bet every boxer in the world has tried lifting weights at some point, even Ali - but to hus a heavy lifting routine as apart of of your boxing training is another story. And yes Canelo is tight as a virgins *****

https://www.brawlbros.com/mike-tyson-workout/

this was tysons workout routine in his prime and it is easy to come by, read it 100 times. only weights he did were shruggs and sometimes running with weight on his back.

when he got bigger and more jacked up later in his career he started lifting. in his prime no.

cus d amato strength routine

500 dips
                  500 pushups
                  500 shoulder shrugs
                  2,000 situps
                  30 minutes of neck bridges

heres a quote from tyson himself

“No way. Only hitting the bag and boxing all the time. I did lift later in my career when I came back in ’95. I started lifting weights because that’s what everybody was doing. Everybody had strength-and- conditioning guys at that time.”
                  Last edited by them_apples; 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

no, Tyson bench pressed to see how much he could. he wasn't regularly bench pressing as apart of his routine. thats how the story goes. I bet every boxer in the world has tried lifting weights at some point, even Ali - but to hus a heavy lifting routine as apart of of your boxing training is another story. And yes Canelo is tight as a virgins *****

this was tysons workout routine in his prime and it is easy to come by, read it 100 times. only weights he did were shruggs and sometimes running with weight on his back.

when he got bigger and more jacked up later in his career he started lifting. in his prime no.

500 dips
                    500 pushups
                    500 shoulder shrugs
                    2,000 situps

“No way. Only hitting the bag and boxing all the time. I did lift later in my career when I came back in ’95. I started lifting weights because that’s what everybody was doing. Everybody had strength-and- conditioning guys at that time.”
                    I actually tried that workout and got a pinched nerve in my neck.

Comment

500 dips
                      500 pushups
                      500 shoulder shrugs
                      2,000 situps

Vinnie Pazienza - After his neck injury
                      Timothy Bradley - Since he was a kid

It wont work for everyone the same, Evander Holyfield is another example.

Tyson in his late career was already using drugs and smoking like crazy, He couldn't get the same results when he was dedicated even if he didn't touch a weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X