No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Dick Tiger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you rank Dick Tiger?

Dick Tiger is in the Top 10 of my all time favourite fighters.

For me, he is criminally underrated in terms of his all time great ranking and is rarely mentioned amongst the all time greats in the history of Boxing.

I personally rank Dick Tiger as a Top 10 ATG Middleweight, usually flip flopping between 6 and 9. A truely exceptional list of accomplishments at MW.

On top of that, winning the Lineal LHW title by beating HOF'er Jose Torres twice. Being outweighed on plenty occasions at LHW, bascially being Lineal LHW Champion whilst being a Middleweight.

Tiger beat;

Gene Fullmer x2
    Joey Giardello x2
    Jose Torres x2
    Nino Benvenuti

7 wins over HOF opposition.

Along with other wins over Top ranked and fighters who went on to be top ranked fighters such as;

Ruben Carter
    Holly Mimms
    Gene Armstrong
    Henry Hank
    Don Fullmer
    Roger Rause
    Henry Casey

That is simply an incredible amount of quality wins.

2 time Lineal Champion at Middleweight, Lineal Champion at Light Heavyweight. Beating current Lineal Champions on 3 seperate occasions.

Who do we compare Dick Tiger with? Who is he as great as? Who is greater than?

I tend to see a comparison between him an Emile Griffith. Considering Griffith was one of the fighters of the 60's. But wasn't Tiger also one of the fighters of the 60's?

For me, Tiger was better than Ali in the 60's. I expect people to disagree with that. But, I think it's a reasonable argument.

Is he greater than say, Bernard Hopkins? For me, I think he is certainly greater than Bernard Hopkins. What are peoples opinion on this? I am wrong to say that?

Hopkins is generally considered a Top 50 ATG. Is Tiger?

So, where do you rank him?

I don't know if i'd regard him as a top ten great, but let me say this, he would give ANY top ten middleweight a good fight.

Comment

Dick Tiger also had on of the all time great chins. Extremely tough individual.

Great inside game, great skills, great combination puncher.

Could out skill you on the outside could destroy you on the inside.

Do you not consider him a Top 10 MW? If so, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Dick Tiger also had on of the all time great chins. Extremely tough individual.

Great inside game, great skills, great combination puncher.

Could out skill you on the outside could destroy you on the inside.

Do you not consider him a Top 10 MW? If so, why not?
        I definetly consider him a top 10 middleweight, he had strength, speed, skills, heart everything that a true fighter needs. Hes one of the all time great middlweights for sure.

Comment

Just last night, I watched him give up height, reach, weight, & a considerable amount of age to a terrific fighter, the memorable Jose Torres.

Tiger still won. Then, he repeated the dose in a rematch. An under-rated fighter, indeed.

Comment

1. Monzon
            2. Hagler
            3. Greb
            4. Ketchel
            5. Robinson
            6. Hopkins
            7. Flowers
            8. Burley
            9. LaMotta
            10. Apostoli

This is a list I posted on another site a few weeks ago and found it very difficult to chose between Tiger and Apostoli for the tenth spot. Great fighter, and I wouldn't argue with anyone putting him in the last 2 or 3 spots of my top 10 at the expense of another fighter.

Comment

Tiger was a great, I like to rank him as a middleweight as well even though his wins over Torres were great.

Comment

I Usually have him 8 or 9. He was beast.

Comment

18 losses would make anyone with less than 100 fights look bad. He had some great fights but not one of the greatest and certainly no SRL. Not even comparable to Ali in the slightest

Comment

Originally posted by RurouniYume View Post
                    18 losses would make anyone with less than 100 fights look bad. He had some great fights but not one of the greatest and certainly no SRL. Not even comparable to Ali in the slightest
                    Why would he have to compare to Ray Leonard and Ali, they were not middleweights? As far as his 19 losses go.....do we detract from LaMotta who had 19 losses? Holman Williams who had 30? Giardello who had 26? Ceferino Garcia who had 27?

Comment

Working...
                    X