Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo can not be compared to Margo when speaking of a Cotto fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margarito was a 100 punches a round fighter and had one off the best staminas in boxing. Canelo is a low volume counter puncher and has the worst stamina in boxing. Dude was dead after 3 rounds against Kirkland.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
      He was not the best cutting the ring off but he sure did know how to cut it off imo,thats why he got fighters on the ropes so much
      I think it was more of not being able to stop him from coming forward while throwing 108punches per rd. U could throw a brick at Margaritos chin & hed laugh & say u throw like a girl...

Comment

1-Margo knows how to cut the ring off,Canelo does not

2-Margo is a pressure fighter,Canelo is not

3-Margo had to take a beating in order to get his win,Cotto beat his ass like a red headed step child(no pun intended) Canelo simply is not built like that,hell very few are

Canelos lack of foot work will hurt him here and in my opinion he is not even a better boxer,he is slower and just does ot respond well to adversity.

(REPLY TO THE OTHER THREAD SINCE I AM ON IGNORE)

You make valid points but Canelo is a very skilled boxer, even Mayweather himself hold Canelo in a higher regard than cotto in the boxing skills department.

Canelo will defeat Cotto with his punch placement, he throws combination that land at a high percentage and his power is decent where you dont want to get hit by them too often.

He not going to have to cut off the ring against Cotto that much cause cotto is a smaller fighter who fights small, so its not like cotto is gonna stay on the outside and work he gonna come inside and try to get away quick but hes not that quick cause Canelo counters are very accurate.

I see this fight as Cotto coming on strong first 3 rounds landing nothing of real value but wining the exchange rate by being first and getting out, but will be a repeat and Canelo will plug cottos out and then it just a matter of whos lands more and harder which I have Canelo beating Cotto down the stretch to a 11th round stoppage.

Comment

Obviously Canelo won't be able to do what Margarito did they are polar opposites.

But I think Canelo's size, youth and explosiveness will be a problem for Cotto.

He hasn't fought anyone that ticks those boxes for a while.

I think the style match up is great, they should mesh well.

Comment

Canelo has other strengths of his own he's bringing that will be dangerous for Cotto, don't see the sense in comparing this match to Cotto-Margarito. Canelo is not going to try to break down Cotto from the very beginning, he'll have a completely different gameplan.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              Canelo has other strengths of his own he's bringing that will be dangerous for Cotto, don't see the sense in comparing this match to Cotto-Margarito. Canelo is not going to try to break down Cotto from the very beginning, he'll have a completely different gameplan.
              I actually agree. I see Canelo applying pressure in small spurts and attempting to work Cotto from the inside and tieing him up while trying to work his uppercut overtime.

In contrast, I see Cotto using his jab combined with footwork to time Canelo so he could land his left hooks of which Canelo seems to be too open for. If Cotto shortens his left hook as he did in his last scrap to knock out the Aussie it can cause a lot of problems for Alvarez.

In either case it's a intriguing match up.

Comment

Prime Margarito>>>>>>Canelo

Comment

Canelo is the superior fighter from him, Cotto and Margarito. No way in hell even Canelo of 2 years loses to 2008 Margarito. Margarito gets slept hard, Mosley style.

Canelo will beat Cotto, probably by UD.

Canelo has a couple of things you did not mention. Patience, great defense, power, great, vicious combinations. The intentions behind Canelo's combinations are scary, and Cotto is no Mayweather or Lara to move out of the way of most of those combos. Guaranteed Canelo will land his combos and they will land hard. Canelo's suberp defense will also be on display. Iremember when he clowned Trout with his elusiveness looking like Neo from The Matrix, had Trout missing all of his power punches. Trout had to jab his way through the fight cause he couldn't land anything meaningful.

Comment

No not an easy fight at all but sure Canelo looked great in his last fight but Kirkland was never that good and he was drained to high heavens....Canelo will cause Cotto issues with his counter punching and when Cotto goes flatfooted Canelo will have his opportunities to unload combo;s and he has beautiful combos and strings them together well
                    How was Kirkland drained if he is a 154 lb. fighter, and I think the weight limit was 155 lb., even. Now, Martinez and Geale are different stories. Catchweights, to be exact.

Comment

Man this is the biggest horse turd I've ever stepped in.

You act like there's things that Canelo does exceptionally well that Margarito doesn't. Kind of like, everything but block punches with his chin.

Geezus H. Christ.

Comment

Working...
                      X