No announcement yet.

Should they bring back smaller gloves??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FLEX U.K View Post
    off the back of another fighter dying after a fight i would say a definitive no!
    Originally posted by Freedef View Post
    Its dangerous more than enough with 8/10/12 oz gloves
    Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    I wouldn't mind having a smoke while watching some boxing in an arena. However I wouldn't want to see fighters with anything less than 8 oz gloves. Especially since we have guys that are in the 240s and can hit harder than the average 200 lb fighter from back then.
    Where so you guys get this stuff from???
    I said smaller gloves, not brass knuckles....

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    Redirect the entire sport back to 1949, and let it stand that way, freeze it. They cannot bring back the admission prices of 1949, I realize that, but bring back everything else, including chalk boxes and the tradition of introducing fighters who are attending in the crowd. That would be one place you could still smoke.
    Well I know what you will say when I bring up the 12 or 15 rounds issue....
    hahaha

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I'm of the belief that heavier gloves cause MORE damage so yea lighter gloves should be the standard.

They do protect your hands better, but brains>hands so efff all that.

People don't understand that you aren't supposed to get hit in the head. That sh^t is bad for you. So getting hit more with a heavier (allegedly safer) glove is actually more dangerous than getting hit less with a lighter (allegedly more dangerous) glove. Both are doing damage with each punch is the problem most don't consider. Cuts on your face & getting your lights turned out looks worse, but a sustained attack that lasts for 36 minutes that might even allow you to recovery a bit from being more seriously hurt is where the real danger starts to come into play too.
    Yes. Research seems to suggest big gloves are worse for the brain.....

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    LOL I was just about to post this. Stop molly codling American fighters. Also bring back real boxing fans.

In terms of smaller gloves, they would lead to more kos and thus, hopefully, less injuries as sustained punishment seems to be the biggest issue.
    That's how i see it.
    WIN/WIN

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt69 View Post
      Where so you guys get this stuff from???
      I said smaller gloves, not brass knuckles....
      Smaller gloves make it easier to cut opponents, easier to break hands, and make the punches register more power. That's why they 16s are used in sparring. To prevent cuts, prevent broken hands, and to prevent the fighter from throwing with the usual power that they would in a fight. Bigger gloves=slower punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Nah, but they should bring back more fighters with balls. The balls to fight the best in their weight class and become lineal and/or undisputed champion. At least more American boxers willing to do so.
        Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I'm of the belief that heavier gloves cause MORE damage so yea lighter gloves should be the standard.

They do protect your hands better, but brains>hands so efff all that.

People don't understand that you aren't supposed to get hit in the head. That sh^t is bad for you. So getting hit more with a heavier (allegedly safer) glove is actually more dangerous than getting hit less with a lighter (allegedly more dangerous) glove. Both are doing damage with each punch is the problem most don't consider. Cuts on your face & getting your lights turned out looks worse, but a sustained attack that lasts for 36 minutes that might even allow you to recovery a bit from being more seriously hurt is where the real danger starts to come into play too.
        Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        LOL I was just about to post this. Stop molly codling American fighters. Also bring back real boxing fans.

In terms of smaller gloves, they would lead to more kos and thus, hopefully, less injuries as sustained punishment seems to be the biggest issue.
        Smaller gloves make it easier to cut opponents, easier to break hands, and make the punches register more power. That's why they 16s are used in sparring. To prevent cuts, prevent broken hands, and to prevent the fighter from throwing with the usual power that they would in a fight. Bigger gloves=slower punch.
        the real question is which causes more brain damage. i really do think 200 subconcussive hits during a fight because of the bigger gloves can be as damaging to the brain as a one punch knockout. even with the big gloves we have just as many cases of punchy fighters with signs of brain damage. the big gloves cause less cuts and less broken hands but i think are just as damaging to the brain. heavyweights are probably 40 lbs heavier than they were in the 1940's

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
          the real question is which causes more brain damage. i really do think 200 subconcussive hits during a fight because of the bigger gloves can be as damaging to the brain as a one punch knockout. even with the big gloves we have just as many cases of punchy fighters with signs of brain damage. the big gloves cause less cuts and less broken hands but i think are just as damaging to the brain. heavyweights are probably 40 lbs heavier than they were in the 1940's
          I am in favour of lighter gloves.

What weight are ufc gloves?
          Old school boxing gloves are 6oz If I'm not mistaken.

Comment

200 subconcusive hits probably does more damage

Comment

Well, if we go back to the earliest days and the introduction of gloves in the first place, contrary to popular belief, they were introduced as a means of protecting the hand, not of protecting the opposing fighter from damage. In fact, more damage in inflicted upon fighters in the gloved era than in the un-gloved, simply because the hands last longer so fighters can throw more punches for longer periods.

Even now, with modern gloves, for anyone who has worn them, they know the design is based on protecting the hand, with the cushioning and mesh etc.

Thus, increased protection of the hands leads to increased and more consistent punch output. The more punches a fighter takes, the more damage he will obtain, it is common sense really.

So having somewhat smaller gloves would likely lead to less sustained damage but the reality is, this is boxing and the brain is going to be damaged regardless.

Comment

i really do think 200 subconcussive hits during a fight because of the bigger gloves can be as damaging to the brain as a one punch knockout.
                Maybe more damaging.

It is for this same reason that NFL linemen, who take small helmet to helmet shots on every play over long careers, are the ones showing more brain damage than the running backs and quarterbacks who only occasionally get their 'bell rung' by a big hit.

There is now a school of thought which believes it is the sparing session, with helmets and large training gloves, over the long term, that does most of the damage leading to pugilistic dementia. Not the occasional in fight KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Magician Lord View Post
                  I am in favour of lighter gloves.

What weight are ufc gloves?
                  Old school boxing gloves are 6oz If I'm not mistaken.
                  UFC gloves are 4ounce, but they don't punch each other nearly as much and it would be impossible to block punches with gloves that small.

For safety measures, especially after the recent death, no way do gloves that small are used.

Comment

Originally posted by Geralt69 View Post
                    Small gloves don't kill people moron.....
                    Why am I a moron for answering your question? You said it would make fights better,in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by FLEX U.K View Post
                      Why am I a moron for answering your question? You said it would make fights better,in what way?
                      I guess that explains why he was banned. Problems getting along with other people.

Comment

Working...
                      X