No announcement yet.

Wrist Injury From left Hooks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist Injury From left Hooks

I am new to this forum (Just Registered Today). I started boxing very late in life at age 55. I box for 6 months on and 6 off(Jan-Jul). This is my third year of doing this. I train 3 days a week for 1 hour. My trainer is an ex pro and we have an active junior welter weight pro and have had 5 national champions. On my first day back this year (3 weeks ago) I injured my left wrist throwing power left hooks on the heavy bag. I throw with the thumb facing up and it's my best punch. I have been throwing this way ever since I started and have never been injured. I think I hit the bag to high which led to me hitting the bag at an angle. The pain is on the pinky side underneath the ulnar wrist bone. I cannot throw left hooks anymore without pain but can throw everything else virtually without pain. I also play baseball and have pain when swinging a bat. I can still do pushups with just a very small amount of pain.
    I went to the doctors after about 2 weeks of training through it and X rays were negative. They gave me a pretty secure wrist brace and told me to not do anything with that hand for 3 weeks. I were the brace day and night. Has anyone every had this injury and if so how long did it take to heal?

I've never had it that bad but I did sprain while not throwing it properly. I don't have much advice as I took a week away from stressing that wrist and then went easy for another week and all was well.

Comment

doubt it will take too long, just grab a handweight and strengthen the wrist in all directions, very rarely do you need a period of complete rest/use of a restrictive brace for a soft tissue injury but you need to cut out the punching. Most injuries are simple enough- avoid the aggravating activity for a few weeks (punching) and do some sort of strengthening rehab.

Comment

I use 16 oz gloves and always wrap, I have to see a Navy Ortho doctor (I'm retired Navy) on 2/9 because they found some shrapnel under my thumb on the same X ray (same hand) which has never bothered me and has been there for years. If it is still bothering me by then I can pick his brain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
          I am new to this forum (Just Registered Today). I started boxing very late in life at age 55. I box for 6 months on and 6 off(Jan-Jul). This is my third year of doing this. I train 3 days a week for 1 hour. My trainer is an ex pro and we have an active junior welter weight pro and have had 5 national champions. On my first day back this year (3 weeks ago) I injured my left wrist throwing power left hooks on the heavy bag. I throw with the thumb facing up and it's my best punch. I have been throwing this way ever since I started and have never been injured. I think I hit the bag to high which led to me hitting the bag at an angle. The pain is on the pinky side underneath the ulnar wrist bone. I cannot throw left hooks anymore without pain but can throw everything else virtually without pain. I also play baseball and have pain when swinging a bat. I can still do pushups with just a very small amount of pain.
          I went to the doctors after about 2 weeks of training through it and X rays were negative. They gave me a pretty secure wrist brace and told me to not do anything with that hand for 3 weeks. I were the brace day and night. Has anyone every had this injury and if so how long did it take to heal?
          Looks like you injured the ligaments which are a slow recovery due to poor blood supply . For faster recovery try Prolo Therapy or blood plasma plalet injection therapy . I have had injuries to ligaments and that’s the best way to heal them quickly

Comment

Sounds like a possible technique issue were you punching too deep perhaps or bending your wrist? Hands wrapped properly? All common mistakes.

Most even pro's have horrible technique throwing a left hook on the heavybag. You should actually hit the face of the bag. Picture it as a block or chunk and envision yourself punching it out.

For now apply ice and rest it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Sounds like a possible technique issue were you punching too deep perhaps or bending your wrist? Hands wrapped properly? All common mistakes.

Most even pro's have horrible technique throwing a left hook on the heavybag. You should actually hit the face of the bag. Picture it as a block or chunk and envision yourself punching it out.

For now apply ice and rest it up.
              I have to agree with that. I remember hurting my wrists early on, from not wrapping right and punching from an odd angle.

Comment

I think I hit the bag to high which led to me hitting the bag at an angle.

Has anyone every had this injury and if so how long did it take to heal?
                The landing zone is your first two knuckles so hitting that high is probably what did it.

You're older now so healing takes a lot longer.

I use 16 oz gloves and always wrap, I have to see a Navy Ortho doctor (I'm retired Navy) on 2/9 because they found some shrapnel under my thumb on the same X ray (same hand) which has never bothered me and has been there for years. If it is still bothering me by then I can pick his brain about it.
                Why don't you have the shrapnel removed?

Comment

I have an appointment with ortho on 2/9 about the shrapnel. However its been there so long and has never bothered me. They caught it on the X ray I had of my wrist which they took when I injured it with the left hooks. If my wrist is still bothering me by then I will pick his brain about the boxing injury. Not so concerned about the shrapnel as I don't even know it is there.

Comment

Its a clear case of not wrapping properly in my opinion. This happens early on too, sometimes when you become fatigued you tend to half ass you punches and when there's not good wrist support you'll bend the wrist. Add that to a weird angle and you got yourself an injury.

Comment

Working...
                    X