No announcement yet.

What type of yoga is best for boxing? Seeking expert advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of yoga is best for boxing? Seeking expert advice

I am trying to figure out which direction to branch my yoga training into that benefits my boxing more. I first learned yoga at a small place near my home that specialized in Ashtanga Vinyasha. I looked it up on Google after booking an ayahuasca retreat.. I wanted to learn it so if I had a bad trip, I could fall back on the yoga during the ceremony, quietly. Two months before the ceremony, I went there twice a day. 8 am and 530 pm, and I also did yoga for an hour around lunch-3pm as I had my own training session at that time. So, 3x yoga a day for 2 months. in the middle of my most intense ayahuasca session I was able to fall back on my yoga and relax because of it.

The yoga became a part of my daily life in the morning. Shawn Porter likes it too, I found out this morning. He does Bikal yoga or Bikam yoga, I am not sure if I'm pronouncing it right. It's a 90 minute hot yoga though. I wonder what kinda routines the top guys in the world like Mayweather, Pac, GGG, Canelo are exposed to, yogawise. I'm sure all the top guys probably do it. There are neck exercises in yoga that benefit nothing more than a guy who gets punched for a living

Probably most forms of yoga would be fine. I do DDP Yoga and it seems to help recovery, a little yin to counterbalance all the yang of boxing.

Comment

Strawberry yoga is very tasty and the raspberry is very good too.
      The vanilla is just too vanilla for me!
      To much yoga can make you sleepy so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Strawberry yoga is very tasty and the raspberry is very good too.
        The vanilla is just too vanilla for me!
        To much yoga can make you sleepy so be careful.
        Ray do you think yoga can help in any way for boxing? I don't box but I've do yoga before, it's actually pretty hard.

Comment

The stretch that feels so amazing is if you sit down, both legs straight then put one foot 12 inches away from your groin, lean forward and wrap the same side arm as the foot close to your groin around the top of the knee and push it down, while holding a rag behind you (unless you have no muscles and are super flexible) the name of the pose escapes me but it's the best for sore shoulders, **** it feels good. Another good one is, get on knees, toes should be supporting feet, look up and swing 1 arm back at a time, find the heels....omg..rock around back and forth on that, it feels so good. if i was a cat i'd purr

Comment

If you think it can, it can. I do enjoy strawberry, fresh berries in real Greek yoga...................

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              Ray do you think yoga can help in any way for boxing? I don't box but I've do yoga before, it's actually pretty hard.
              Hey Beercules!

I did a rare form of Sikh Yoga for years while doing martial arts... Its an interesting question actually. Yoga is a path, that is what the term means and "Hatha" Yoga is physical Yoga with "Kundalina" being the "serpent" the energy up through the chakras which is what Yoga is for...

But it does have certain effects on performance. It will not give you muscle mass or tone. It will make you a very efficient user of Oxygen making you aerobically stronger. New forms of Yoga try to be exerscize systems, I don't like that personally, Yoga builds your mental, your glandular and your circulatory system primarily. It helps you control fear, and relaxation of the body through control.

This helped me a lot when I was fighting full contact, it made the fear easier to deal with. I still use it to control breath and oxigenate the body and blood. Its a great system when used correct.

Hope this helps

Oh and Ray is correct, it is great with strawberries.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Hey Beercules!

I did a rare form of Sikh Yoga for years while doing martial arts... Its an interesting question actually. Yoga is a path, that is what the term means and "Hatha" Yoga is physical Yoga with "Kundalina" being the "serpent" the energy up through the chakras which is what Yoga is for...

But it does have certain effects on performance. It will not give you muscle mass or tone. It will make you a very efficient user of Oxygen making you aerobically stronger. New forms of Yoga try to be exerscize systems, I don't like that personally, Yoga builds your mental, your glandular and your circulatory system primarily. It helps you control fear, and relaxation of the body through control.

This helped me a lot when I was fighting full contact, it made the fear easier to deal with. I still use it to control breath and oxigenate the body and blood. Its a great system when used correct.

Hope this helps

Oh and Ray is correct, it is great with strawberries.

Comment

Don't do yoga, maybe steal a few stretches when you warm up before working out, and for off days, but that's it.

Yoga is a workout, burns calories, drains the body, tires your muscles, etc.

If you want to get better at boxing, than box, leave yoga for the vegan sluts.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    If you want to get better at boxing, than box, leave yoga for the vegan sluts.
                    Thats why the chicken nugget yoga is catching on.

Comment

Working...
                    X