• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambiguous Boxing Terminology

1 Was Hurt

2 Was Rocked

3 Was Wobbled

4 Was Staggered

I hope I did not leave any obvious ones out.

Though these terms seem perfectly descriptive and plain, and have been used by boxing announcers for generations, are we and the announcers always sure of what they are talking about?

Is rocked worse than staggered? Is it more serious to be rocked than it is to be wobbled, for instance?

Does rocked mean a man was also hurt, or was he merely knocked off balance, let's say?

I know I always want to hurt my man. Maybe rocking him is just the part of hurting him that looks good to the judges. Any thoughts on these old war horse announcing terms, lads?

Rocked to me is just being hit flush with a hard power shot. I’ve seen many guys get rocked and keep fighting. Wobbled would be the worst IMO since in my head he’s doing the Zab Judah stank leg dance.

Hurt means he’s about to get wobbled lol I’ve seen guys hurt playing to the ref that they’re fine. No staggering, no wobbling, but they all make the same fake “I’m fine” face before getting KTFO

Comment

By the fetid stool of Allah, I believe I both agree and disagree. A fighter can be rocked without staggering, methinks. Wobbles and staggers can happen for other reasons, but hurt is from being hit, stagger or not.

Conclusion: An announcer cannot generally know when a man is hurt unless there are unmistakable signs. They overuse the word. Stick men like Don Dunphy see Tyson landing his shots and imagine themselves on the receiving end, and overuse the word without knowing if the opponent is really hurt, because the punch looked so hurtful.

Comment

- -Media appointed "boxing experts."

Heads of the dunce class leading these herding, pasture grazers are LoonyTunes Teddy Atlas and smarmy, Slapsie Maxie Kellerman.

Anyone else would be ashamed to appear in public looking as stuupid as that, but the pay is good.

Comment

Kellerman in particular is a joke. He must spray spit continually while announcing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Kellerman in particular is a joke. He must spray spit continually while announcing.
            Lefty

Lets not forget "Buckled." Buckled is very specific, it refers to when the back of the knee reflexively gives way for an instant. It cannot be masked and it cannot be faked if one knows what to look for.

Max is part of a failed experiment that started after Cosell left. Cosell, warts and all, had his charms...including the fact that he backed up Ali when it was very unpopular. Cosell knew something about boxing. Max was supposed to be the next intellectual who came down off the pedistial to grace us with his boxing knowledge, and the rest is history.

Comment

Kellerman does not seem like an intellectual to me at all. I don't know how anyone could make the mistake of thinking he was.

Comment

Billy is right, buckled is one I forgot. I knew there were bound to be a few I overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  Kellerman does not seem like an intellectual to me at all. I don't know how anyone could make the mistake of thinking he was.
                  Its an image thing... Dennis Miller uses them big words, and Kellerman can use em... The American public calls them intellectuals.

Actually interesting factiods about Kellerman. Went to a very very elite public high school in New York city. One of those places where the government watches who goes in... Hunter High School, we used to play stickball there lol.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                    Rocked to me is just being hit flush with a hard power shot. I’ve seen many guys get rocked and keep fighting. Wobbled would be the worst IMO since in my head he’s doing the Zab Judah stank leg dance.

Hurt means he’s about to get wobbled lol I’ve seen guys hurt playing to the ref that they’re fine. No staggering, no wobbling, but they all make the same fake “I’m fine” face before getting KTFO
                    This.... exactly.. ^^^^

Comment

Working...
                    X