Why does Canelo fight at 155?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mortal7 View Post
    His snake won't allow him to make 154.
    Canelo's ATG love cannon makes me a fan. Nothing else.

Comment

It's pathetic honestly. What's even scarier is how the sanctioning bodies actually recognize the Canelo-weight.

Comment

Serious questions, do you really think it's difficult for him to lose a pound? Does it really matter at this point? Do you think it really benefits him fighting a pound over? He's already established himself as a dude who takes on challenges. I feel like people are knit picking at this point and no, I'm not defending Canelo, but assuming he's ducking people because of this is stupid especially his track record recently taking on challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
          That is a fine beef whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            Cotto weighed 155lbs when he fought Martinez. I would think Cotto would be the one who would want to keep their fight at 155 and Alvarez would want it at 160.
            Cotto would be the only one at 160. The rest of the division is too dangerous for Ginger, hence the constant catch weights at border line 154+

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              Where Lara weighed in at 155lbs?
              yes, vs maslov 158, vs gross 154 1/2, vs gray 155, vs boone 155, vs varela 155, vs perez 155 1/2, vs brewer 154 1/2, vs correa 155, vs hearns 156 1/2,
              vs canelo 155...
              thats 10 fights out of 24, yet canelo has 2 out of almost 50 and you all come here to cry...

Comment

He's a boss, a draw. He created his own weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                  Cotto weighed 155lbs when he fought Martinez. I would think Cotto would be the one who would want to keep their fight at 155 and Alvarez would want it at 160.
                  Fair enough. All I'm saying is everyone knows why people fight at catch weights, to increase their odds (whoever is demanding the catch weight.)

Now, imo it's only an issue if you're avoiding a certain weight to duck people, or taking champions above or below the weight limit and winning their titles.) Canelo isn't even fighting anyone at 154, champions included. Cotto looked to be the transition into the MW division, but things did not go as planned.

This is not an exclusive thing that Canelo is doing. Their have been JMWs fighting North of 154 since forever. I remember I was watching I think a (i think) Vinny Paz night from 10+ years ago and he was fighting at JMW weighing in at 157.

Why is Danny Garcia the lineal 140lb Champ fighting North of 140 two fights in a row now, why is Cotto dragging Martinez under 160 for the MW title. Why is there a catch weight or a purse compensation for fighters not making contractual weight damn near every single card on TV.

It's all pretty obvious.

It's not exclusive to Canelo.

Comment

so he can't go up to 160 because golovkin would murder him and he can't fight at 154 because floyd is the champ and he will never fight floyd again. so i guess his days of championship boxing are over. why should we care about him? i have no clue.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is as long as its agreed to by both fighters...

Comment

Working...
                      X