Beating ELITE fighters "at the top of their game"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    But when wasn't he?
    Toney was definitely better for the Barkley and Williams fights. He had to lose 40 pounds in about five weeks for Jones. He wanted to call the fight off but the manager and promoter talked him out it.

Sure it's an excuse, but that doesn't mean that Toney wasn't just a shell of himself when he fought RJ.

Comment

How was Leonard not at the top of his game for Duran I

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Toney was definitely better for the Barkley and Williams fights. He had to lose 40 pounds in about five weeks for Jones. He wanted to call the fight off but the manager and promoter talked him out it.

Sure it's an excuse, but that doesn't mean that Toney wasn't just a shell of himself when he fought RJ.
        I didn't know that! Thats interesting...kind of makes me feel good as a toney fan! I can't in good conscience claim foul but in the back of my mind I can wonder whether a healthy Toney would have given a superior account of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          I didn't know that! Thats interesting...kind of makes me feel good as a toney fan! I can't in good conscience claim foul but in the back of my mind I can wonder whether a healthy Toney would have given a superior account of himself.
          I never even liked Toney. But it was well known in Los Angeles that Toney was having a bad time making weight. I think Roy beats him anyway. But he didn't beat him anywhere near his best. I'm pretty sure Toney fired his manager and promoter right after that fight.

Comment

I never even liked Toney. But it was well known in Los Angeles that Toney was having a bad time making weight. I think Roy beats him anyway. But he didn't beat him anywhere near his best. I'm pretty sure Toney fired his manager and promoter right after that fight.

Toney has never liked the scales haha. Yeah Jones beats Toney at their prime weight range. But Toney looked so bad that fight.

Comment

Better because of the opponent more than likely. Then again Toney looks like **** against poor opponents aswell.

Most of that came after the fight was over, the "I wanted to pull out"

Like I said, when wasn't stoney drained? When didn't he have to lose that kind of weight?

Comment

Better because of the opponent more than likely. Then again Toney looks like **** against poor opponents aswell.

Most of that came after the fight was over, the "I wanted to pull out"

Like I said, when wasn't stoney drained? When didn't he have to lose that kind of weight?
                I didn't hear about any problems for the Williams and Barkley fights (of course that doesn't mean there weren't) and Toney looked terrific in both.

It seems safe to say that Toney stayed at 168 (at least) one fight too long.

Comment

I didn't hear about any problems for the Williams and Barkley fights (of course that doesn't mean there weren't) and Toney looked terrific in both.

It seems safe to say that Toney stayed at 168 (at least) one fight too long.
                  He cut massive amounts of weight for all of his fights back then. When he was still undefeated they did a short documentary on it. About his eating habits between and during training camps.

Was Toney drained? Yes.

The question I'm asking is when wasnt he?

Yeah he looked better against other guys. Because other guys aren't Roy Jones that's why.

Comment

He cut massive amounts of weight for all of his fights back then. When he was still undefeated they did a short documentary on it. About his eating habits between and during training camps.

Was Toney drained? Yes.

The question I'm asking is when wasnt he?

Yeah he looked better against other guys. Because other guys aren't Roy Jones that's why.
                    Well there is no doubting that. But you don't think he seemed much more sluggish and lethargic in the Jones fight?

Comment

Well there is no doubting that. But you don't think he seemed much more sluggish and lethargic in the Jones fight?
                      Nope.

He was just in the ring with a guy way above his level and the level he was used to fighting.

I actually think he looked better than he did in some of his fights around that time. Despite the fact he lost every second of every round.

Comment

Working...
                      X