Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how come thurman is vilified for taking a break....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Madison View Post
    yet other fighters werent, including ward and mayweather? How come he's been made out to be some sort of coward cause hes having a break to recuperate, if he doesnt want to box this year then he doesnt have to.

If i remember correctly ward had a couple of periods out of the ring (one to lose 3 times in court to a man with terminal cancer)

End of the day thurmans got the best wins at welterweight whether the LDBC crew like it or not. That will only change if spence and crawford pull their fingers out and decide to fight somebody. Spence has got one good win but he needs another. And as for crawford,no, beating jeffrey horn does not make you 'the man' of the division
    Ward was/is also a coward/stupid but Mayweather's breaks came after extensive careers (first in 07 then in 15). Before those breaks he fought some pretty good fighters.

Thurman in an 11 year career has only had 28 fights and at a stretch, fought 2 world class opponents...at a stretch. All the while, the division heats up around him and he makes no effort to fight Crawford, Spence or rematch Spence (who I felt won).

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by icha View Post
        what did garcia and porter achieved at welterweight???
        and im sorry but thurman does not have atraction, he isnt a superstar yet like the likes of ggg or canelo, he is far from that level... he might as well get stripped and no one would care... it took for ever to guys like him and spence to get a good win and now that they got it the hunger is gone... they need to continue to challenge them selves to reach super star status or else no one is going to care in a couple of years, danny garcia took more risks at an earliear age and still couldnt get to a better place, it takes a lot more than that. .
        Thurman holds the record for attendance at the Barclays and when you look at his viewing numbers, they are higher than any other American fighter. 5m peak views vs Garcia, around 4m vs Guerrero, 3m v Porter, 1.5m against Collazo. Numbers don't lie.

I'm not saying Thurman is a Canelo/Joshua type worldwide attraction, but he's been around for a long time and his name has been in the mix with biggest attraction in the history of the sport, people know Keith Thurman.

Danny Garcia moved up to welter 4 fights ago, he's already been a champion, fought the #1 guy in the division and now he's fighting to be a champion again...against a top 3 guy. I seriously don't know how some fans process thoughts. It's mind-boggling to me. Danny Garcia has always fought the best and continues to do so. Every fighter is going to take easy fights inbetween top fights, stop cherry-picking.

Comment

to anser to question that is the title of the post, it's because he has/had a major belt, and is an easy target aka low hanging fruit for criticism... notice nothing original is coming out in criticizing him, not a one. he's injured and with a division chalk full of killers, I wouldn't come back any less than a 100%... to do so would be extremely stupid and dangerous.

id rather Thurman take the time and come back healthy, than come back not a 100% and then use his injury as an excuse. and I'd rather him come back and take a couple of tune up fights than go right in and fight a banger, then lose, then blame the time off... that is the most logical thing to do, come back 100% prepared and ready to go.

Comment

Thurman? I haven’t seen that guy in years

Comment

Working...
            X