No announcement yet.

How strong to be competitive in 135lb class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong to be competitive in 135lb class

hey, i havent boxed in a year and i realy want to get back in the gym. Last year i started training, but never got to compete. Before i go back i want to make sure that im strong enough to be competitive in the 135lb class. I want to be at least good enough to be able to go to shows and win more then i lose. Also do you think this is a good weight for my height? I was weighin in at 120 last year this time, but i got tired of being so small. Im 18yo 5'8" and 135 lbs so what should i be maxing out at for...

bench press?
    squat?
    mile run?

thanks in advance

I fight at 126 and 132. I am 5'7 and like 1/2". In the lower weight classes, power isn't a very big factor. Smaller fighters are more speed demons then anything. Speed = power.

I don't, and never have lifted any weights at all. Well, correction. The only weights I do are to do with neck strengthening.

I am a strong fighter. I am extremely fast, slick, and I have good power as well. I have a good amount of knockouts on my record. However, in AM's, you won't be getting as many KO's. Keep in mind, a knockdown counts as one point, as does a jab.

Comment

im 5"8 and 139lbs and trying to get up to 142

in my eyes the 130 - 150 range is good for people around 5"8

Comment

In your weight class its all about speed and stamina, so focus on that.

A few guidelines that can apply to any weight class to tell if your strong for your size is (1 rep maxes):
        Push: Benchpress 1.5 bodyweight (for you itd be 202.5)
        Push (Legs): Squat 2.0 bodyweight (270)
        Pull (Legs): Deadlift 2.0+ bodyweight (270+)
        Vertical Pull: Weighted Pullups +.5 bodyweight (+67.5)
        Vertical Push: Overhead Press .85-1.0 bodyweight (115)
        Rotation: Incline Russian Twists 45lb (probably a bit high but meh)

Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
          I fight at 126 and 132. I am 5'7 and like 1/2". In the lower weight classes, power isn't a very big factor. Smaller fighters are more speed demons then anything. Speed = power.

I don't, and never have lifted any weights at all. Well, correction. The only weights I do are to do with neck strengthening.

I am a strong fighter. I am extremely fast, slick, and I have good power as well. I have a good amount of knockouts on my record. However, in AM's, you won't be getting as many KO's. Keep in mind, a knockdown counts as one point, as does a jab.
          speed does'nt equal power
          it's been done already and said, a punch where you are utilizing speed actually uses differrent muscles as does when your punching for power
          just some peoples power punches can still be really fast
          speed does not equal power

Comment

Originally posted by John125 View Post
            hey, i havent boxed in a year and i realy want to get back in the gym. Last year i started training, but never got to compete. Before i go back i want to make sure that im strong enough to be competitive in the 135lb class. I want to be at least good enough to be able to go to shows and win more then i lose. Also do you think this is a good weight for my height? I was weighin in at 120 last year this time, but i got tired of being so small. Im 18yo 5'8" and 135 lbs so what should i be maxing out at for...

bench press?
            squat?
            mile run?

thanks in advance
            John, imho, weight trainin doesn't make a fighter hit harder, have more stamina or explosive power, it may give you thou physical strenhgt to wrestle guys off of you or maybe take a better punch. concentrate on conditioning and exersises that give you explosiveness. Going back to your question, to give you an idea, I've heard Juanma Lopez, who's probably weighin the same you are right now is benching 10 reps of 225, of course not everybody is Juanma.

Comment

Originally posted by megadude View Post
              speed does'nt equal power
              it's been done already and said, a punch where you are utilizing speed actually uses differrent muscles as does when your punching for power
              just some peoples power punches can still be really fast
              speed does not equal power

So you are telling me if I had a twin who was exactly the same in every aspect, only slower. Him and I would hit the same?

If he throws a 10lb arm punch at say I dunno 10 mph, and I throw a 10lb arm punch at 20 mph, the damage is going to be the same?

I am no big mathmatic freak or psychics person, but I can do simple math. My punch would be harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post

.. Have any videos of your fights?

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
                  John, imho, weight trainin doesn't make a fighter hit harder, have more stamina or explosive power, it may give you thou physical strenhgt to wrestle guys off of you or maybe take a better punch. concentrate on conditioning and exersises that give you explosiveness. Going back to your question, to give you an idea, I've heard Juanma Lopez, who's probably weighin the same you are right now is benching 10 reps of 225, of course not everybody is Juanma.
                  that's bull, unless he's using a machine, but not free weight. The guys only my size.

Comment

I have video's, just not online. They are old VHS and stuff. I have a sparring session on youtube but I don't like linking. Few people here have saw them, PunchDrunk has. He can comment if he likes.

Comment

Working...
                    X