Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will This L Make Joshua Better Or Have We Seen His High Water Mark?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought he was made of the strongest stuff mentally and this fight pretty much displayed his full limit in that regard. That is very hard to come back from unless a guy is insanely determined and what about Joshua has ever screamed he had that sort of inner fire, even how he acted after the loss shows that lack of fire inside.

Anybody that has some dog in them is going to sniff that out and beat him.

Comment

He's not a HW, but Daniel Jacobs was exposed as having a bad chin, being knocked out by Pirog, and being knocked down by Sergio Mora of all people. And then he resurrected his career by stopping Quillin. Not many people believed in him even after that, they needed more proof. Then he showed he has really developed positively vs GGG and he could have done better vs Canelo but both performances were a far cry from the Dimitri Pirog fight.

Maybe Anthony Joshua can do the same. Although he is like 30 years old already while Jacobs was 23 at the time of his stoppage loss, so Jacobs definitely had time on his side to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        He's not a HW, but Daniel Jacobs was exposed as having a bad chin, being knocked out by Pirog, and being knocked down by Sergio Mora of all people. And then he resurrected his career by stopping Quillin. Not many people believed in him even after that, they needed more proof. Then he showed he has really developed positively vs GGG and he could have done better vs Canelo but both performances were a far cry from the Dimitri Pirog fight.

Maybe Anthony Joshua can do the same. Although he is like 30 years old already while Jacobs was 23 at the time of his stoppage loss, so Jacobs definitely had time on his side to develop.
        If Joshua has cancer (or anything seriously life threatening) and manages to defeat that, he would have the mental strength to come back from anything boxing could throw at him like Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

This makes some sense, but I kinda feel like HW is its own lil world. Power rules more than it should & bad losses like last night never get shaken from your memory to fully regain the confidence you had or from your oppositions memory in the weaknesses you have.

Frazier never regained his form after that bad Foreman L going 3-3-1 after that fight with his biggest W likely being vs Jerry Quarry. Norton got destroyed by Foreman to & the best thing he did post that was give Ali another good go around in their trilogy fight. Michael Spinks was never seen again after Tyson blew him out badly.

Those bad HW losses leave lasting scars on cats I almost feel like. I mean f#ck man Joshua got dropped 4 times & took a solid beating with Ruiz landing some good punches here & there for another 4 rounds. I think w/e happens from here out Joshua lost some of himself in the ring last night.

Comment

Thinking back to Haye losing to Thompson, watching that live it seemed unlikely Haye could ever get to the top. Punch resistance and stamina looking very bad. But he came back and improved as did as lot of others in boxing history. Difference is almost all of them were at an earlier development stage than AJ is now. They were able to take a step back and re-group. Benn showed stamina, chin issues in early defeats was able to do the same. Even Bruno who people mock did mature, grow enough to fight a disciplined top level performance vs McCall. But with AJ he can't go have 3-4 development fights in the next year, he's going to take 6+ months off and then come back in a big stadium fight. Doesn't sound ideal for a guy who wants the pressure lifted.

Not saying the loss destroys him. Because he can still be as good as he was, I don't think this result means he loses a Whyte or Parker rematch. But is he going to understand what he did wrong and fix it while also dealing with the psychological side of losing and his opponents now being more aware of, likely to target his weaknesses? Chin+stamina+mental+technical issues? I don't think so, especially not in 1-2 fights.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              I need to watch the fight!!

He’ll come back, of course. This was the drake curse haha.

He’ll come back, Andy Ruiz will probably make the mistakes every shock champion made before him and go on a media tour and get even fatter and then AJ will will win the rematch presumably in his own back garden.

But history tells us the stench of an early KO loss lasts forever. Klitschko, Lewis etc. they were known as chinny.

Up to AJ to show everyone what he’s made of now.
              Lewis got stopped twice but he wasn't chinny. He took plenty of flush shots throughout his career.

Joshua is getting rocked from any flush shot landed. That's different from what went on with Lewis.

Comment

AJ is likely ruined for good. Too many red flags mentally I'm seeing before and after the fight to the point I almost feel sorry for him. If he reset his career, dropped Eddie Hearn and his trainer it would show he's actually serious about getting back to the top. I just think it's unlikely he'll take control of his career in the way he needs to right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  This makes some sense, but I kinda feel like HW is its own lil world. Power rules more than it should & bad losses like last night never get shaken from your memory to fully regain the confidence you had or from your oppositions memory in the weaknesses you have.

Frazier never regained his form after that bad Foreman L going 3-3-1 after that fight with his biggest W likely being vs Jerry Quarry. Norton got destroyed by Foreman to & the best thing he did post that was give Ali another good go around in their trilogy fight. Michael Spinks was never seen again after Tyson blew him out badly.

Those bad HW losses leave lasting scars on cats I almost feel like. I mean f#ck man Joshua got dropped 4 times & took a solid beating with Ruiz landing some good punches here & there for another 4 rounds. I think w/e happens from here out Joshua lost some of himself in the ring last night.
                  It is really hard at HW if you allow it. You can also just become a boring fighter like Wlad did. Go for the jab, jab, right formula and get your KO’s by picking your opponents apart from long range in boring but successful fights. I mean Wlad’s formula nearly worked at 41 years old vs Joshua himself.

Comment

Working...
                  X