Name your favourite kung fu or martial arts actor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name your favourite kung fu or martial arts actor

Your favourite martial arts actor

I have a few. Each has their own individual attraction.

Sonny Chiba. The dude always looks like he wants to rip off a piece of your body.

Chuck Norris. Has that perfect thousand yard stare and seemed he would just as soon kill you as talk to you.

Bruce Lee. The shrieking voice and shredded physique coupled with lightning speed are unparalleled.

There are a few Shaw Brothers actors I like but they are not as well known as the ones previously mentioned.

Full disclosure: I was never a Jackie Chan or Jet Li fan.

Comment

VegasMichael named most of the obvious ones. Also can't forgert Jean-Claude Van Damme! Bloodsport was one of my favourite movies as a kid, think JCVD is one of the reasons I got into martial arts at a young age too, tbh.

Comment

Bruce Lee of course.

I also really enjoyed Steven Seagal's first 5-6 films.

Comment

Jean Claude Van Damme.

Not only is Bloodsport rad as hell, but JCVD was an actual professional fighter. 18-1 in pro full contact kickboxing, 44-4 in semi-contact pro kickboxing, 2nd dan black belt in Shotokan karate, also trained Muay Thai and Taekwondo.

Norris was pretty legit, too. Black belts in Judo, BJJ, Kyokushin, ****o-Ryu, Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo, etc.

Either one of them would beat the ever living crap out of Bruce Lee.

Comment

Jean Claude Van Damme, Jim Kelly. Of course Bruce Lee is a Icon, but I have not actually seen many of his movies in full 'Accept of course, enter the dragon'. Jean Claude Van Damme was just around in a awesome era, martial arts these days in movies always seems tacky.

Here is Jim Kelly actually talking about Bruce Lee.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 08-08-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Bruce Lee is the grandaddy. Van Damme in his younger days. Loren Avedon for a while from the late 80s to early 90s. I heard he had a big ego, which hurt his later career. No Retreat, No Surrender 2 and King of the Kickboxers are still damn fun movies though. Speaking of dragons, I also used to like Don "The Dragon" Wilson or "The Dragonfly" as Tank Abbot used to call him, especially The Bloodfist movie series and Virtual Combat.

Comment

I forgot about Van Damme. Bloodsport is one of those movies I will watch yet again if I see it on the telly. He was good in Lionheart and Hard Target too. Sho Kosugi wasn't bad in the ninja movies but Michael Du***off was just plain terrible in his movies. He had zero martial arts skills. I was never a Steven Seagal fan. I've heard good things about Donnie Yen but have not seen any of his movies yet.

Comment

Scott Adkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lWvzvayMXM

how the hell do you embed youtube videos??

there used to be a YT button but it's gone

Comment

Venom Mob - If you don't know them that's because you dunno them by their group name. If you watch Kung Fu, you know Shaw Scope, Shaw Brothers, and The Venom Mob.

Jackie Chan - After he was doing more Hollywood movies a lot of the charm was gone. I like his Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker franchises just fine, but, I like Samo too man....Samo would beat the **** outta Owen, well, i dunno that at all, what I mean is Samo's characters would beat the **** out of Owen's characters.

Bruce Lee - Everyone loves Bruce. Only reason he's not higher for me is that dude is well played out. Not his fault everyone loves him, but, it does get annoying sometimes.

After that, if I'm honest, and I know they do not hold water as far as acting, performing stunts, or even just looking comfortable on camera, but, honestly if I've watched too much Venom, Jackie, and Bruce I'll likely opt for the first run of Power Rangers TV show with Austin as Red Ranger or a Ninja Turtle movie.

Jet Li is kind of a little underrated I think. Like Jackie his Hollywood are not necessarily worse, just, more Hollywood. I think some of the fun of Kung Fu is a break from Hollywood and so when one of the stars comes over and makes the big bucks that's great but also, for me, there is a bit of a loss. Jet in China was pretty amazing.

Donny Yeun (Spelling?) before Ip Man was ****ing fantastic. I don't remember if it was 13 assassins or bodyguards and assassins, both of which good 2010s kung fu flicks, but one of them, maybe both, Donny is ****ing bad ass. I don't dislike Ip Man, but, I am a little bitter it's so successful it's taken over Don's career.

I always forget that giant chinaman's name. Bolo or some such, Chinese Hercules. That dude had some good one's too.

Comment

Working...
                    X