Chavez a top 10 Lightweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
    Chávez was better than most of those fighters
    That’s just your Mexican pride talking now sit down before you fall down.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
      He expects the judges to save him. Doesn't matter how bad he does, they'll say he swept the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
        In 135 he beat Rosario and Ramírez clearly
        Thats fine, my point was that he had three title fights at 135, not near as much as he did at Super Light Weight. The rest of his LW fights were when he was just starting out.

Not a comment on his ability just that LW wasnt where the most of his prime was spent.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
          Thats fine, my point was that he had three title fights at 135, not near as much as he did at Super Light Weight. The rest of his LW fights were when he was just starting out.

Not a comment on his ability just that LW wasnt where the most of his prime was spent.
          Narváez has like 37293737 title fights in 115 and he is not a top-10 of the weight

Chávez was a beast at 130-135.

In 130 he destroyed Martínez , same fighter that gave Nelson hell

Nelson is considered one of the greatest 130 pounds in history

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
            I.di.ot

Do you know who is Chávez?

The same Pacquiao said that Chávez was his idol

Comment

Thanx for your quick response.I know who the cab driver slayer was and he was a great fighter but at 135 I’m not putting him in the top ten of all time.

Comment

1. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
                2. FINITO LOPEZ
                3. SAL SANCHEZ
                4. ERIK MORALES
                5. MARCO ANTONIO BARRERA
                THEN You can add your Chavez and other mexican fighters.

CHAVEZ

Comment

If you took into account his pound for pound ranking he may be top 10 but his body of work at 135 is very small much like Trinidad at 154 for example.

Strictly basing him off of 135 then he wouldn’t be top 20. 135 is probably the deepest division in history. Buchanan and Laguna for example I wouldn’t pick to defeat him but they definitely rank higher specifically at 135.

Leonard, Gans, Duran, Ortiz, Whitaker, Macfarland, Brown, Williams, Armstrong, Canzoneri, Welsh, Ambers, Montgomery, Jack, Buchanan, Laguna, DeJesus, McAullife, Wolgast, Lavigne, Tendler, Mandell etc;

It’s a deep division. Arguello also didn’t have very many fights there but also was great at the weight. Mosley was excellent at 135 but didn’t really have any major fights or unify.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    If you took into account his pound for pound ranking he may be top 10 but his body of work at 135 is very small much like Trinidad at 154 for example.

Strictly basing him off of 135 then he wouldn’t be top 20. 135 is probably the deepest division in history. Buchanan and Laguna for example I wouldn’t pick to defeat him but they definitely rank higher specifically at 135.

Leonard, Gans, Duran, Ortiz, Whitaker, Macfarland, Brown, Williams, Armstrong, Canzoneri, Welsh, Ambers, Montgomery, Jack, Buchanan, Laguna, DeJesus, McAullife, Wolgast, Lavigne, Tendler, Mandell etc;

It’s a deep division. Arguello also didn’t have very many fights there but also was great at the weight. Mosley was excellent at 135 but didn’t really have any major fights or unify.
                    As much as I appreciate the need for the Junior divisions at the lower weights, those fighters who are dependent upon them to build their careers have to be scrutinized more critically. I don't doubt that Chavez would have also been successful in earlier eras, when 130 and 140 wouldn't have been available to him. But those fighters who made their name in the original eight weight classes almost necessarily need to be ranked more generously.

Buchanan, based on the footage, would handle Chavez. Not a shut-out by any means. Chavez would definitely make him earn the win. But that jab and the movement would be too much. Ken got stronger as the fight progressed, and we know how he looked in the championship rounds. Duran needed a ball shot to finish him, for God's sake. Definitely the best challenger the best fighter ever had faced. Styles make fights, but I don't see Chavez lasting 15 against Duran. I really don't see him winning rounds.

Buchanan has two things against him:
                    1) His competition: Ortiz was old, and Duran was at the heighth of his powers. Probably he also had lousy management.

2) He's a bit of a spoiler... but not a master-boxer. He was stuck in the ugly middle.

He wasn't quite the cutie that guys like Benitez and Whitaker. He doesn't flood highlight reels like Locche. And the way he did win wasn't the way to win fans. Guys like Chavez and Arguello, and also Armstrong and WIlliams, get more attention because of how they won - violent finishes.

People wanna see boxers beat the shyt out of each other. (That's why Fury - the best heavyweight we've ever seen - doesn't get the credit he deserves. But people are madly in love w/ guys like Foreman and Bowe - guys who'd never leave the local circuit if they fought in lower weight divisions). Ken, like Fury, played the spoiler. Ken could box, and he could fight. But the balls and heart manifested in a style that doesn't translate to the highlight reels and record books very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      As much as I appreciate the need for the Junior divisions at the lower weights, those fighters who are dependent upon them to build their careers have to be scrutinized more critically. I don't doubt that Chavez would have also been successful in earlier eras, when 130 and 140 wouldn't have been available to him. But those fighters who made their name in the original eight weight classes almost necessarily need to be ranked more generously.

Buchanan, based on the footage, would handle Chavez. Not a shut-out by any means. Chavez would definitely make him earn the win. But that jab and the movement would be too much. Ken got stronger as the fight progressed, and we know how he looked in the championship rounds. Duran needed a ball shot to finish him, for God's sake. Definitely the best challenger the best fighter ever had faced. Styles make fights, but I don't see Chavez lasting 15 against Duran. I really don't see him winning rounds.

Buchanan has two things against him:
                      1) His competition: Ortiz was old, and Duran was at the heighth of his powers. Probably he also had lousy management.

2) He's a bit of a spoiler... but not a master-boxer. He was stuck in the ugly middle.

He wasn't quite the cutie that guys like Benitez and Whitaker. He doesn't flood highlight reels like Locche. And the way he did win wasn't the way to win fans. Guys like Chavez and Arguello, and also Armstrong and WIlliams, get more attention because of how they won - violent finishes.

People wanna see boxers beat the shyt out of each other. (That's why Fury - the best heavyweight we've ever seen - doesn't get the credit he deserves. But people are madly in love w/ guys like Foreman and Bowe - guys who'd never leave the local circuit if they fought in lower weight divisions). Ken, like Fury, played the spoiler. Ken could box, and he could fight. But the balls and heart manifested in a style that doesn't translate to the highlight reels and record books very well.
                      I think there’s a lot of fights were Buchanan boxed beautifully. His left hand was so educated. For a stylish boxer he didn’t have great defense though but he had a great chin and was tough as nails.

The Paduano fight is a masterful performance and both Laguna fights were a lot of fun as was his fight with Jim Watt. That was probably more competitive than it should have been.

Regarding his management; He didn’t have it easy. He was a Scottish fighter that rarely fought in Scotland and not that big of a following in England (at that time), he got screwed in Spain for the Euro title but landed the Laguna shot not long after. Duran never seemed to want to give him a return (I have no doubt Duran beats him again though) so Buchanan only got a title shot again when he was too old (vs. Guts Ishimatsu in Japan). It’s too bad he and DeJesus never faced off. That would have been something special.

Comment

Working...
                      X