No announcement yet.

Hasim Rahman journeyman or champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hasim Rahman journeyman or champion

What is your opinion on Hasim Rahman. Was he nothing other than a journeyman fighter who was hand-picked as a challenger and got lucky. Or was he a very underrated Champion who should be given credit.

Not a good fighter really.

Lost almost everytime he fought a decent fighter.

Comment

Just a journeyman. A glass jawed journeyman at that. He was able to hang around in the upper echelon for a while because the talent pool was so mediocre. If Rahman was around in the 50s-80s, I don't we would have ever heard of him.

Comment

More journeyman than champion.

I remember how he used to be sparringpartner of Brian Nielsen. Nielsen had it fairly easy with him which tells you a lot.

He could punch though.

Comment

He is the epitome of a journeyman. True journeymen, the good ones anyway, might upset an elite fighter every now and then, or give them hell, maybe wrestle a title away every now and then. Rahman wasn't a very cerebral fighter and other than his jab and power, brought little to the table. But his jab was excellent and he could be a technician when matched right (Tua, for instance). I strongly believe that what this current heavyweight scene lacks are fighters like him.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            He is the epitome of a journeyman. True journeymen, the good ones anyway, might upset an elite fighter every now and then, or give them hell, maybe wrestle a title away every now and then. Rahman wasn't a very cerebral fighter and other than his jab and power, brought little to the table. But his jab was excellent and he could be a technician when matched right (Tua, for instance). I strongly believe that what this current heavyweight scene lacks are fighters like him.
            If Rahman is the epitome of a journeyman, I don't know what to say.

Why does he have to be one or the other? Obviously he's not a great champion or even a great fighter, by any stretch of the imagination, but he beat some good fighters in his time and knocked out Lennox Lewis pretty spectacularly.

He was just a decent fighter. Not a journeyman.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

Why does he have to be one or the other? Obviously he's not a great champion or even a great fighter, by any stretch of the imagination, but he beat some good fighters in his time and knocked out Lennox Lewis pretty spectacularly.

I hear you. I don't know, journeymen tend to get a bad rap. I didn't say he was a clubfighter . He was a decent fighter. But to me that's what a journeyman is, a decent but yet inconsistent fighter.

Comment

He was better than the likes of Tua and Sanders, and they werent bums.

Comment

he was a gatekeeper. He was very good at being a gatekeeper and at his best had some ability.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

I agree. he was never a guy that could reel off several title defenses but he sure as hell was better than just a journeyman. he did also beat corrie sanders and a couple other descent fighters. there's been worse champions than rahman

Comment

Working...
                    X