No announcement yet.

Canelo, and his leverage, are rolling over GGG and DAZN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    He looks like a pampered bytch, not a fighter. I don't care if he's the A side pop star and all you cheerleaders are going to sing about how he can do anything because he's popular. You keep worshiping stars and I'll be rooting for the actual boxers who got balls and are getting in there and fighting.
    I feel the same way, these guy need to put the poms poms down and actually watch some real fighters

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Showtime has no beef with Canelo; Showtime's beef is with Oscar De La Hoya.

If Eric Gomez is the only person that Espinoza has to deal with, there's no doubt in my mind that Showtime/CBS will happily work out a PPV deal with Canelo; it won't be for $350m over 10 fights, but you can reasonably see a 10-fight $200m deal (with Canelo getting a significant piece of any PPV upside that generated).
      I dont think he will or gbp will ever be able to work out a deal again. My arugment is only that this whole ordeal only hurts his stock. I dont believe its him flexing his muscle, dominating negotiations and showing hes the one in control of everything

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
        What the F. . I said you never called for him to fight Smith or Charlo and you didn't deny it.
        I want Canelo to fight top guys period. And Canelo has proven through out his career he does that. There are tons of fights I'd like to see Canelo fight ahead of yet another Canelo/GGG fight where you and GGG will just make excuses after the fight. Meanwhile GGG has a career NOT fighting top guys and just fought Rolls LMAO and fought Vanes last year. LMAO And is actively trying to fight Munguai next. LMAO If you a GGG fan you should be furious because he made it clear unless it's canelo for the upteen time he won't fight ANYONE with a pulse. Canelo trying to fight Kovalev if he fights Smith, Charlo or any other top guy I'm cool with it. The difference is I'm confidence Canelo fighting someone better this year then GGG will be fighting.

While you are bracing for another tomato can bum opponent chosen by GGG as he tries to back his way into another Canelo payday

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          Canelo doesn't need contracts. He needs only one contract at a time. Against Spence: 60 mil, Crawford 40 mil. Anyone will fight him for the money.

He isn't as greedy as you think. I don't even think he took all their money. Payment per fight, I'd imagine, prorated. You can't force anybody to fight someone they don't need. Period. It's illegal too.

DAZN is lucky if Canelo doesn't sue them. I know Oscar will, if it comes to worst, because he wouldn't know where to take his stable next. Most probably Showtime or ESPN.
          I agree that he only needs one contract at a time and you cant force anyone to fight anyone.

But the other side of that coin is; you cant expect people to pay him the kind of money he wants. Hence the issues in the first place. He wants to get paid to fight whoever he wants, the relationship between him and dazn is symbiotic. They need to benefit as well.

Im not going to speculate too much on the details of the contract because i really dont know. What i do know is that dazn has potential billions of dollars in financial backing. What does gbp have?

Dazn will survive whatever happens and im sure canelo will too. But you cant just constantly bite the hand that feeds you. How will the business world look at canelo and gbp if this massive deals falls out?

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
            no, I do not.....

I think that Golovkin continued using the exact same selection policy that he has been using for his entire career..... low-risk/low-reward

#tiptoeingthroughthetulips

I can name about 9 occasions, where Golovkin selected the easiest possible opponent, despite there being much better opposition available..... Rolls was just the latest
            Interesting. So why did canelo fight rocky?... Watch out for the double standard

Lets hear those 9 occasions. Because ggg has been trying to prove himself for about the past 8 years. Hes been calling top mws out and his fights against lower opposition are largely because fighters are avoiding him and hes getting the next best guy will to fight him.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              First ... a question cannot be a lie. That's logically absurd, like most of the rubbish you come out with.

why did you ask a question insinuating the opposite..... if you supposedly knew the answer..... ?

you are full-of-it

Read the statement by Hearn and the response to it from Gomez again and highlight the part which you believe means that Canelo asked to fight Andrade and DAZN refused to approve it:

"I spoke with Eric Gomez and [Golden Boy matchmaker] Robert Diaz and they asked if Demetrius would be available to fight Canelo in September," Hearn told ESPN on Wednesday. "The answer is a big yes and although I don't think we are first choice, it's the undisputed fight and one Demetrius would be 100 percent ready for. We will see what happens over the next few days."

"Gomez acknowledged the discussion with Hearn but said Alvarez also has other options."

Hearn is DAZN's director of boxing and Andrade's promoter. Why would he be talking about Canelo vs Andrade as a possibility if he knew DAZN had ruled it out?

your quote doesn't say anything like that.....

" We will see what happens over the next few days "

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyl-G View Post
                Interesting. So why did canelo fight rocky?... Watch out for the double standard

that was a filler fight, to get an ABC trinket at 168

when you have to compare a title-holder from the division-above..... with a nobody from the division below..... you know that you are out of bullets LMAO

Lets hear those 9 occasions. Because ggg has been trying to prove himself for about the past 8 years. Hes been calling top mws out and his fights against lower opposition are largely because fighters are avoiding him and hes getting the next best guy will to fight him.

ok

1) he made a bunch of silly excuses to avoid Sergio Mora in a showcase on HBO, preferring instead to fight a NO-HOPER in Monaco on free-TV

Mora was an ex-champ who had clearly faded, which is the ideal opponent for a young fighter attempting to establish himself on the world-stage..... boxing has always worked that way.....

NOT saying that Golovkin could not have beaten Mora, just that the Latin Snake is a known mover/spoiler who is notoriously difficult to look good against..... and they were not willing to risk failing to put Mora away, looking bad in the process, or..... worse

when I heard Loeffler stuttering and stammering his way through half-a-dozen silly excuses, I knew what was up..... that was ridiculous..... because insisting that someone is irrelevant, and not a draw..... only works if you fight someone relevant who IS a draw..... not an unknown NO-HOPER on free TV who is WORSE

missing opportunities like that, and with guys like Cotto..... is why Golovkin only has 97k fans..... he needed those type of fights

2) they did the exact same thing to Lara and Ward, who are both also known mover/spoilers who are notoriously difficult to look good against.....

Lara would have been Golovkin's best opponent to date at that point..... and once again, insisting that someone is irrelevant, and not a draw..... only works if you fight someone relevant who IS a draw..... not guys like Willie Monroe, Wade, Brook, etc.....

3) Ward..... they promised to fight Ward at 168..... a) they killed the fight in June 2015 by demanding a catchweight they knew would kill the fight..... b) in September 2015 they refused that fight in 36 minutes flat

4) the superstar Cotto, should have been the ultimate goal of every fighter from 140-160..... at that point in time, Cotto was the very best option, because May/Pac were totally unrealistic and never going to happen

Mr " anyone from 154-168 " totally refusing to negotiate on weight with the little old faded SUPERSTAR Miguel Cotto..... is the 2nd most bizarre occurrence within boxing that I have witnessed within the last decade

I cannot believe how little was spoken about that situation, both from the media and from the fans..... totally bizarre..... every other fighter from 140-160 would have cut off one of his fingers for that fight, and yet Golovkin would not so much as lift his little finger to make that fight, totally refusing to drop a single pound to fight the 153lb superstar

then a few months after refusing to negotiate on weight with Cotto and Canelo..... Golovkin threw up his hands in frustration and claimed that he was willing and able to fight at 154 but nobody would step up..... WTF???

those are the exact type of fights that Golovkin should have taken

5) they specifically promised to fight Canelo at 154..... but as above, when shht got real they tucked tail and ran from that fight..... and just like above, 6 months after refusing to negotiate on weight with Cotto and Canelo, Golovkin threw up his hands in frustration and claimed that he was willing and able to fight at 154, but nobody would step up.....

6) Derevyanchenko - and Golovkin got stripped

7) Saunders..... why the fcuk would Golovkin select a total NO-HOPER in Vanes, when Saunders was running around with his "dream"..... calling him Pvssy-Borat.,.... and offering to fight him in June???

a unification > a mando, so Golovkin would not have been stripped for refusing to fight Derevyanchenko..... instead, Golovkin avoided TWO threats, selected an inactive JMW, and got stripped for his troubles in the process.....

the very second that Saunders said he was available, there was no other fight to make..... Munguia, Spike, and Vanes..... should never have been mentioned

..... come on, that is the 3rd most bizarre situation within the sport of boxing that I have ever witnessed..... two of those situations being created by Golovkin

8) Charlo - they said that fight " made no sense "

9) Andrade - they said that fight " made no sense "

if you think all of that happened by coincidence, you are a fkn dreamer

stop licking Golovkin's sack, and then expecting old school fans to applaud you for it..... MANY established journalists/insiders have commented on Golovkin's timid opponent selection..... which is why you guys should have smartened up
                Last edited by aboutfkntime; 07-18-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  Not in the US they didn't. And they didn't exist in the sport of Boxing before Canelo. They need Canelo for credibility in both the US market and in the sport of boxing. Canelo meanwhile is already the biggest superstar and draw the moment they rip up his country every top network is begging to sign him. The moment Canelo leaves DAZN he takes with him all of the US subscribers who are only on DAZN because of him. And other fighters are watching no other fighter will ever sign with DAZN when they see how they are running things. DAZN will be DOA in less then a year launching in the US. lol If you were a established network/subscription service with tons of other content and a army of subscribers it would STILL be foolish and bad business to lose Canelo. If you are DAZN and you launched in the US and launched your flag in Boxing off the back of Canelo just a few months ago and you lose Canelo that's called Company suicide. You only have 1 chance to make a first impression and DAZN will have proven to be world class phuk ups to the US Market and to the sport of boxing.

HBO and Showtime were more established then DAZN is in both the US and Boxing market and neither could tell Canelo who to fight. Idiots really thought DAZN could? Well you just found out who runs things when Canelo put their azzz on time out. DAZN need Canelo more then Canelo needs DAZN.
                  DAZN carries a variety and multitude of sports including: Tennis, Golf, Rugby, Crickets, Horse racing, Bowling, Volleyball, Darts, Soccer, Cycling, Fishing, the WWE, NBA, NFL, MLB and the NHL.

In addition, there is not a huge demand for boxing in the states anyway. It's no longer a popular, mainstream or crossover sport. It has almost like a cult following.

They just added Boxing and MMA content to its platform just over a little less than a year ago. When the over the top streaming video streaming service first launched here in America; In conjunction with John Skipper as the new Chairman of the Perform Group.

Lastly, as far as Canelo Alvarez is concerned, he witnessed a very sharp decline in subs and viewers here in the states in his previous fight on Cinco De Mayo weekend. .

Globally, only 600,000 subs tuned in. Moreover, he lost $Millions more at the live gate; Almost $15 mil in lost revenue to be exact against Daniel Jacobs at the T-Mobile.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                    why did you ask a question insinuating the opposite..... if you supposedly knew the answer..... ?

you are full-of-it

your quote doesn't say anything like that.....

" We will see what happens over the next few days "
                    You think Hearn and Gomez wouldn't have known from day one whether DAZN would approve a unification fight between Canelo and Andrade or not?

The very fact that they were discussing it proves they both knew it was a possibility.

Comment

• A lot of it has to do with AJ Losing also. Only reason I paid $100 was because Canelo x AJ

Now Canelo is the head hancho and primary

DAZN finds a way to get Canelo back in before we know it. Maybe November - December

Comment

Working...
                      X