Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to a magazine store tonight . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's all right. It is hard to find a math magazine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      I will try again, although a few posters are not saying very nice things about where the magazine has fallen to.
      I’m not sure, the critizisers actually read the mag. For some peculiar reason, The Ring got a lot of haters.

I live in Europe, and buy a copy every month. It’s still good journalism.
      (So goes for British Boxing News and Boxing Monthly.)

On internet, I’ve noticed this tendency to read headlines, followed by a quick glimpse at the article itself, before moving on to the next headline.

Paper invites you to read longer articles, and to reflect on what you have read.

Comment

Everything the Golden Boy touches dries up and dies or sues him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Everything the Golden Boy touches dries up and dies or sues him.
          So far, I find De La Hoya a good owner of printed press.
          A good owner shouldn't interfer with the editorial work.
          And The Ring under the ownership of De La Hoya, hasn't always been nice when commenting on his boxing career.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            I've seen Ring and KO at Barnes and Noble.
            KO hasn't been published in over ten years.

You can get The Ring online. I haven't seen it in a store or book store in years either.

I remember the 90s though- RING, KO, Boxing Illustrated, Boxing '95, '96, '97 and so forth, some of those newspaper-style mags, all kinds of s h i t.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
              So far, I find De La Hoya a good owner of printed press.
              A good owner shouldn't interfer with the editorial work.
              And The Ring under the ownership of De La Hoya, hasn't always been nice when commenting on his boxing career.
              - -Ring had stopped circling the clogged drain when Oscar at the apex of his earnings pulled them out for a good scrubbing and suite of new clothes.

The reader comments are generally more informative than the articles. Credit Ring for allowing some of their harshest critics.

It could be much better, but without Oscar it'd be defunct.

Comment

Wow really? They usually have every kind of magazine known to humanity there, including at least 3 devoted to martial arts or mixed martial arts. Strange they wouldn't have any boxing mags.
                Yea this has been my experience when going into a B&N in the past. They even had UK boxing mags last time I was there which I always enjoyed looking at & buying from time to time. That said it's been awhile since I've been in one.

Randomly when I was in Alaska a couple yrs back the local grocery store had Ring. Had to buy it. Believe it was the Spence vs Mikey preview issue. I hadn't seen one in awhile at that point & was surprised they had parts of the mag dedicated to MMA now.

I miss seeing, buying & flipping thru boxing mags, but it seems like such a antiquited thing nowadays & obviously with the internet the info is always outdated.

I wish someone would get more creative & updated & make some sorta interactive boxing mag you could view on a kindle or whatever. I mean that kinda just sounds like a boxing forum like this place, but I like some legit quality pundits views on things & it'd be cool if you could engage with them more & others with like & opposing opinions. Idk still sounds like a boxing forum more or less when I spell it out more lol.

Anyway I think there is some innovation to be had that hasn't been thought of yet with mags but idk that I'm smart enough to put it in words or see how it should work is my main feeling. Or maybe the internet, live video streaming & podcasts have just made magazines, current & potential future incarnations, obselete & I'm in denial about it a lil bit.

Comment

I've seen Ring and KO at Barnes and Noble.
                  KO?

Not in the past 13 years you haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    KO?

KO! -- What ever happened to Jeff Ryan? Do you know if he still writes on boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      KO?

Then some other boxing related magazine because they have every kind there.

Comment

Working...
                      X