Dela Hoya and Mosley shame themselves by fighting Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Ehhh, abit of hindsight.

On paper it looks great but in reality he handpicked Pacquaio back then as what was expected to be an easy fight.

And it wasn't the first time either. There's a pattern there for that also.

i don't think it was expected to be an easy fight, just a fight he could win. pacquiao was looking monstrous and was one of the planet's best fighters at the time. he was just expected to lose because of the size. de la hoya was established as being on the slide. yeah, we didn't know he was completely shot and killed himself to make weight, but was only a 2-1 or 3-1 dog at the most. also have to credit pacquiao, he was a hell of a fighter in '08, and we did know that.

de la hoya fought bernard hopkins after he destroyed trinidad and was the planet's best MW, floyd at his peak, pacquaio at his peak, mosley at his peak, vargas when he was still dangerous, peak trinidad.

the guy took on basically all comers. dangerous punchers, elite boxers, bigger guys, you name it. hindsight has little to nothing to do with it. he actually took on the toughest part of his schedule late in his career and when he had chips to play with and leverage, after he was established, when lots of guys are jus tlooking for an easy check.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i don't think it was expected to be an easy fight, just a fight he could win. pacquiao was looking monstrous and was one of the planet's best fighters at the time. he was just expected to lose because of the size. de la hoya was established as being on the slide. yeah, we didn't know he was completely shot and killed himself to make weight, but was only a 2-1 or 3-1 dog at the most. also have to credit pacquiao, he was a hell of a fighter in '08, and we did know that.

de la hoya fought bernard hopkins after he destroyed trinidad and was the planet's best MW, floyd at his peak, pacquaio at his peak, mosley at his peak, vargas when he was still dangerous, peak trinidad.

the guy took on basically all comers. dangerous punchers, elite boxers, bigger guys, you name it. hindsight has little to nothing to do with it. he actually took on the toughest part of his schedule late in his career and when he had chips to play with and leverage, after he was established, when lots of guys are jus tlooking for an easy check.
      Well yeah I picked Pacquaio to win solely because of the Forbes fight but the vast majority were expecting Oscar to knock him out and a lot of writers were fearing for Pacquaio's safety.

Hindsight has a lot to do with it. You just mentioned Vargas for example but Oscar showed little interest in Vargas until he looked vunerable. That's pretty much the epitome of hindsight right there.

Mosley, another one. Looks great on paper but at the time a number of people considered it not a cherry pick per se because Mosley was a rising star and top fighter obviously but let's say opportunistic as Mosley was seen as a smaller man and not looking the same man at 147.

And there's more, Quartey looks fantastic on paper but he wasn't too keen on that fight until he had a poor showing with Lopez amongst other factors.

My point is, hindsight is 20-20. The names look great but the circumstances are often forgotten about some of them. That said, I won't deny Oscar did challenge himself but I also won't forget he was opportunistic at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
        Personally, I really don't understand why Dela Hoya and Mosley would wanna get their hands on that supposedly "small man" Manny Pacquiao, upon nearing retirement. Its not like they missed out the big fights in their prime to even need to fight Pacman.

Especially Mosley, having lost to Floyd Mayweather a year before, thinking that he can beat Manny will only spoil the fun on the Mayweather-Pacquiao megafight. Well, is it really worth much for Oscar and Shane to just get a payday and fight in front of the big crowd than risk losing their pride and get beaten up by a boxer who started his career at flyweight.
        In terms of Mosley, he just went through a bad divorce and basically had everything taken from him. He's still not financially set for life after his ex took him to the cleaners. He needed that payday, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Ehhh, abit of hindsight.

On paper it looks great but in reality he handpicked Pacquaio back then as what was expected to be an easy fight.

And it wasn't the first time either. There's a pattern there for that also.
          i can remember right here on this board ivan calderon denying, sort of, reports he was getting the best of de la hoya in sparring. then something i noticed watching whitaker de la hoya again in 08 was that de la hoya seemed to crouch and fight down to his opposition if he feels like the bigger stronger fighter. forbes rocking his jaw really shocked me.

reality is this, de la hoya's best win is fernando vargas, i sincerely believe if he lost that fight, from a cultural standpoint and a boxing standpoint that fight was a huge crossroads for him. if he loses that fight i dont know how his career would have really turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
            i can remember right here on this board ivan calderon denying, sort of, reports he was getting the best of de la hoya in sparring. then something i noticed watching whitaker de la hoya again in 08 was that de la hoya seemed to crouch and fight down to his opposition if he feels like the bigger stronger fighter. forbes rocking his jaw really shocked me.

reality is this, de la hoya's best win is fernando vargas, i sincerely believe if he lost that fight, from a cultural standpoint and a boxing standpoint that fight was a huge crossroads for him. if he loses that fight i dont know how his career would have really turned out.
            I think Roach was there for that, wasn't he? He always said he watched that sparring session and that made up his mind about the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              I thought Pacquiao wanted to rematch Jeff Horn.
              No way he wanted nothing more from the horn dog.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
                Ah, so he wants to fight again, but not against Horny. I thought he might, since it said on his Wikipedia boxing page that some guys were disputing the decision in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
                  He wants Horn, but not in Australia.

But, the rematch clause gives Brisbane first crack to secure the fight - so Pacquiao is screwed in that respect.

Pacquiao is kicking himself for agreeing to that clause, but nobody saw Horn winning beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    He wants Horn, but not in Australia.

But, the rematch clause gives Brisbane first crack to secure the fight - so Pacquiao is screwed in that respect.

Pacquiao is kicking himself for agreeing to that clause, but nobody saw Horn winning beforehand.
                    Why wouldnt he wont the rematch in brisbane were it would be a sold out arena. If he fought jeff anywere else it wouldn't sell as much. I simply beleive he just doesnt want to be in the ring with a big, bully w/w.

Comment

Or to get screwed by the hometown judges again, in some people's opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X