• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
    Edwin Rosario
    Howard Davis Jr.
    Those are interesting picks.

I do think Rosario hit his ceiling.

He was kinda like a poor man's Gomez. He fell in love with his power. And he kept trying to move up in weight.

He really did hit his ceiling, though, against Chavez. He got gobbled up by a better fighter in that weight class.

Davis Jr. is exactly what's wrong with the amateurs: Boxing was a sport for him, not fighting. He didn't have the heart for Pro-Boxing, and he definitely didn't have the power.
    Polar opposite of Pryor, who was so raw and crude and (comparatively) unskilled, but who had the heart of a lion and the chin/punch to trade with the best of them.

Comment

Jimmy Slattery is pretty much the definition of unrealized talent.

He was being built into the next best thing, a Light Heavyweight Dempsey, in the same generation of Tunney, Loughran, Rosenbloom, Braddock.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
        Those are interesting picks.

I do think Rosario hit his ceiling.

He was kinda like a poor man's Gomez. He fell in love with his power. And he kept trying to move up in weight.

He really did hit his ceiling, though, against Chavez. He got gobbled up by a better fighter in that weight class.

Davis Jr. is exactly what's wrong with the amateurs: Boxing was a sport for him, not fighting. He didn't have the heart for Pro-Boxing, and he definitely didn't have the power.
        Polar opposite of Pryor, who was so raw and crude and (comparatively) unskilled, but who had the heart of a lion and the chin/punch to trade with the best of them.
        I think you hit it right on the head with Howard. And with Edwin as well, though I think Julio being way stronger had a lot to do with Edwin losing that match as well.

Comment

Dunno if he's already been mentioned but Bernard 'Superbad' Mays, many who fought at the Kronk seemed to recognize him at the best there.
          http://classicboxingsociety.blogspot...rbad-mays.html

Tony Ayala Jr is obviously up there
          Salvador Sanchez

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo- View Post
            Tony Ayala Jr is obviously up there
            Salvador Sanchez
            - -This obviously one of the top 10 dumbest quotes I've ever heard.

Congrats!

Comment

Actually, spending a lot of time at internet and social media, we're all wasting our talents ...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Just thought of one more guy... I have tried to stay away from the more popular names that get brought up with this topic. If we take a guy like Broner, one has to think he had a lot of talent in the first place. I never saw it. No mobility to speak of, no power at his weight class, Nothing to suggest the ability to fight up and down in different divisions. Then we have guys like one of my favorite fighters Mayorga. I think Mayorga was very talented, but, to me he parlayed that talent as far as it would go. His power got that oomph! to it because, like his theatrics, it was explosive and he beat some great fighters because of it.

By contrast we have some guys who form a special category of wasted talent...These are guys who had multiple talents and just could not give it all to boxing. My favorite guy in this category was the late "Corey Sanders." Sanders loved to golf and won at it often. He was also a police man in South Africa. I always felt that if he had devoted more time to boxing he could have been a lot better. He had remarkable power, not only the Vlad fight, but he also shook Vitalie with a good punch.

Like Golota, (another near do well) who had great combos and good feet, Sanders was the perfect size for a mobile heavyweight. But while Golota had complex psychological problems, Corrie simply could not train enough to maintain excellence.
                Agree I was at Bally’s in Atlantic City and saw Corrie fight Rahman and he was so impressive in the early rounds & his hand speed and movement was like nothing I’ve ever seen from a man that big.
                It was a small venue that only sat about 1,500 seats at the most and I was 5 rows back.
                Rahman had no answers for what sanders brought to him.
                And like in maybe the star of round 4 he was spent. I’ve never seen anything like it.
                After the fight I ran into former world champion Phillip Holiday who was on the undercard and he was past his prime already .
                The place had emptied out and Corrie was sitting alone outside the locker room alone and Holiday was telling me how disgusted and disappointed he is what a waste of natural talent. I was shocked how honest he was. I could go on and on.
                With that said at least he made it right vs Wladamir.

Comment

By contrast we have some guys who form a special category of wasted talent...These are guys who had multiple talents and just could not give it all to boxing. My favorite guy in this category was the late "Corey Sanders." Sanders loved to golf and won at it often. He was also a police man in South Africa. I always felt that if he had devoted more time to boxing he could have been a lot better. He had remarkable power, not only the Vlad fight, but he also shook Vitalie with a good punch.

Like Golota, (another near do well) who had great combos and good feet, Sanders was the perfect size.
                  - -Confusing Sanders with Kallie Knoetze:
                  https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Kallie_Knoetze

Sanders was a HS sprinter and pro rugby and golfer fighting in an era of South African boycott, so easier to play those sports than get big fights until the the Ks came along for a pair of all time fights.

Fought em back to back in an era where Brits and Yanks where avoiding them.

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                    Agree I was at Bally’s in Atlantic City and saw Corrie fight Rahman and he was so impressive in the early rounds & his hand speed and movement was like nothing I’ve ever seen from a man that big.
                    It was a small venue that only sat about 1,500 seats at the most and I was 5 rows back.
                    Rahman had no answers for what sanders brought to him.
                    And like in maybe the star of round 4 he was spent. I’ve never seen anything like it.
                    After the fight I ran into former world champion Phillip Holiday who was on the undercard and he was past his prime already .
                    The place had emptied out and Corrie was sitting alone outside the locker room alone and Holiday was telling me how disgusted and disappointed he is what a waste of natural talent. I was shocked how honest he was. I could go on and on.
                    With that said at least he made it right vs Wladamir.
                    Just a great post... Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                      - -Confusing Sanders with Kallie Knoetze:
                      https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Kallie_Knoetze

Sanders was a HS sprinter and pro rugby and golfer fighting in an era of South African boycott, so easier to play those sports than get big fights until the the Ks came along for a pair of all time fights.

Fought em back to back in an era where Brits and Yanks where avoiding them.
                      He was a tough mensch! Was it Spaulding Grey? the monologist who did these one person plays. Famously he had a character who Spaulding would yell out to as this guy was in a pinch...Like one time swimming in the ocean with currents, another time around crocodiles, and this guy would always answer the same "don't worry I am South African!"

Comment

Working...
                      X