No announcement yet.

Tyson Fury's Shameful KO of Steve Cunningham

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    Add a few nasty head butts and blatent low blows, and that sounds like a typical Andre Ward fight.
    Hahaha, aint that the truth.

Comment

The American audience don't realise that Fury hasn't looked good in most of his fights. He's sold as an entertaining fighter. That's not how anyone following his career saw him.

Arguably his best 'eye test' performances were against Hammer and Chisora (2) and they were complete physical mismatches. Neither were exciting fights. Fury won both by being too big, too long.

The Klitschko fight has big question marks for me. It's remembered by Fury as a dominant win and that seems to have become the story now. But it was a close fight with a couple of (largely ineffective) punches deciding rounds. Klitschko deserved the rematch he never got. History could have been very different if Klitschko had got the chance to avenge that defeat.

Then there's Wilder. A good draw and a good win. Good on the resume, but how good is or was Wilder?

I like Fury as a fighter, and he could be great, but he's still got a lot to prove in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
        Okay--

Have him fight steve cunningham again then--

I think Fury wins easily and possibly stops him again
        Steve USS Cunningham has retired.

The fight vs Cunningham was fought at a high intensity 'I have not seen Fury since produce that type of intensity inside of the ring' even against Wilder, he was a low intensity fight 'Mainly due to Wilder just stumbling about the ring, yet still trying hard'.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
          The American audience don't realise that Fury hasn't looked good in most of his fights. He's sold as an entertaining fighter. That's not how anyone following his career saw him.

Arguably his best 'eye test' performances were against Hammer and Chisora (2) and they were complete physical mismatches. Neither were exciting fights. Fury won both by being too big, too long.

The Klitschko fight has big question marks for me. It's remembered by Fury as a dominant win and that seems to have become the story now. But it was a close fight with a couple of (largely ineffective) punches deciding rounds. Klitschko deserved the rematch he never got. History could have been very different if Klitschko had got the chance to avenge that defeat.

Then there's Wilder. A good draw and a good win. Good on the resume, but how good is or was Wilder?

I like Fury as a fighter, and he could be great, but he's still got a lot to prove in my opinion.
          Wilder was stylistically a fight made for him also.

Take away his second performance vs Wilder, Fury has not really produced a performance which clearly states he is miles better than everyone else in the division.

I know people like to make out that his performance vs Kiltschko was some sort of Mayweather type masterclass. But was it really? All I saw was Kiltschko backing Fury up all night, and Fury just edging the rounds with a riddler type performance.

Tyson Fury since Wilder has been portrayed as the second coming of Mike Tyson 'No longer the riddler, he is now a destroyer'.

Fury for the first time in his career has a aura of intimidation 'And people are all abut high off it'.
          Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 01-17-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

I hope you don't put your foot in your mouth every time you post here but I don't see anybody bouncing off ropes or an off balance knockdown.

I see a straight right planting him straight on his azz, and the only reason Fury got up is because he was fighting a bloated cruiserweight, crafty matchmaking in efforts to look legit in his first US bout that almost backfired.
            In what universe is that a straight right hand? Looping over hand right obviously.

Comment

It was a great KO and once again showed at inside fighting at HW is severely lacking and that is where a lot of his upside comes from. Is he James Toney in there, not at all....but it's simply the ability to change the look on the fly. Switch the entire look and start to come forward behind a high guard; he can come in and change levels too and is fluid inside , not to mention ambidextrous.

Any Fury fan worth his salt wanted Fury to fight Wilder 2 like he fought Cunningham after he was knocked down; how he fought Wallin after he was cut.....maybe not the entire gameplan, but at least some part had to incorporate coming inside. There should have been no reason why Wilder got to hang around at all if he fought like that - the first fight was a major disappointment in that he was nearly stopped and stayed at the end of Wilder's shots.

I understand why people can look at it at the Cunningham fight at face value and think it wasn't a good performance...but to me, I see a guy who can switch the entire game and take the fight inside; that's a whole other dimension. Also, being able to gauge his handspeed against Cunningham who had among the faster hands at HW should have been a key takeaway too.

I'm a big Fury fan but I'll be honest and say the hype has gotten somewhat out of control - he is only meeting expectation, not surpassing it yet! He should have always beaten Wilder...so there is more to prove - he just has to go on a good run of a couple fight as the MAN and the hype will be in line.
              Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 01-17-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post

When he beats AJ, you'll just add "He beat Joshua, but AJ got stopped by a fat Ruiz, so how good was AJ actually?"

Comment

Wasn’t strictly legal, that’s for sure but I can’t think of a single ref that would have made the call. 5 minutes wasn’t going to help Cunningham so the ref would have had to wait for Steve to come around enough to declare him the winner by concussion.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                    I know people like to make out that his performance vs Kiltschko was some sort of Mayweather type masterclass. But was it really? All I saw was Kiltschko backing Fury up all night, and Fury just edging the rounds with a riddler type performance.
                    I definitely wouldn't diminish the achievement, but completely agree with your post.

Beating Klitschko in Germany was a massive achievement. Turning it into a dominant win through repeated storytelling was another massive achievement.

Fury is great at selling himself. And fair play to him, that's absolutely part of the fight game.

But break down his resume and it's nowhere near what is now being portrayed.

Comment

Originally posted by buge View Post
                      When he beats AJ, you'll just add "He beat Joshua, but AJ got stopped by a fat Ruiz, so how good was AJ actually?"
                      Nope. Joshua has proved himself against the best available. Unified titles. Defended titles. Taken a shock defeat and avenged it.

If Fury fights, and beats, Joshua he'll be the best in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X