The Longest of Shots: Tyson vs Douglas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Longest of Shots: Tyson vs Douglas

http://imgur.com/gallery/n9J8K

How Buster pulled off the biggest upset in the game.

Was just watching one of your vids earlier today, hoping you'd have another up soon. Thx brother. Always a fun read.

I've told a lot of people to watch this fight, as it showcases how a lengthy boxer can deal with a shorter, more powerful fighter who thinks he knows how to get inside.
    Last edited by Redd Foxx; 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks again, escudo.

I just noticed that the rules for the dot changed so I'll stop leaving them.

Comment

I always pull for the underdog in big fights, so this and Holyfield/Tyson were big ones for me. I just never could understand how he would become so irresponsible over such a prestigious achievement and face Holyfield in the condition and preparation he had (or hadn't). Big disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Keleneki View Post
          Thanks again, escudo.

I just noticed that the rules for the dot changed so I'll stop leaving them.
          Imgur made a follow function for mobile. Basically if you follow me on mobile there is no need for me to tag you anymore. With a 2273 name long tag list this might be a huge time saver for me.

Comment

bumping for the late night folks

Comment

You captured the moment! Ill never forget that one...You know your gettin old when you remember a sports bar on Haight Ashbury...The Rockin Robin, and back then you could watch a fight in a sports bar. I was in grad school and pretty busy, had gotten some work done and wasn't going to touch this one. I mean what were the odds right?

Remember going there as the rounds progress me and about twenty other guys are starting to look at each other like...."No way"....more people are coming in now, even a few skirts, Mike lays that one piece we are all screaming for Buster to get up and he does.

Buster was fabulous that night, a clinic. He had older trainers who felt Tyson was weak against a long armed jabber, salvating at the mouth. But even to beat a diminished Tyson, a Tyson who still almost got him out of there...Buster had to be Cinderella with the glass slipper and he was!

Comment

Originally posted by escudo View Post
                http://imgur.com/gallery/n9J8K

How Buster pulled off the biggest upset in the game.
                Thanks man. Great stuff.

To what extent were people talking about Tyson's vulnerability to a jab from a tall opponent before this fight? In hindsight the argument seems obvious, but at 42-1 it's also obvious that very few believed Douglas was going to show this.

Comment

I read a book on Douglas-Tyson called The Last Great Fight that was good. One part that sticks in my mind is a story of how Tyson and his team decided to go for a jog around Tokyo early one morning, and while they were out they see Douglas and his guys jogging up ahead and decide to overtake them. But Douglas, without even knowing Tyson is there, starts speeding up as well and Tyson has to slow down as he doesn't have the stamina to catch up.

The way Douglas was so dedicated and mentally strong for his big chance is incredibly impressive, even his mother's death didn't weaken him. After it all paid off it seems he couldn't get back to that same place again for the Holyfield fight, especially with $28M in the bank. Eventually he really went off the deep end and was in a diabetic coma weighing 300lbs but got back into shape afterwards and fought a few more times.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    Thanks man. Great stuff.

To what extent were people talking about Tyson's vulnerability to a jab from a tall opponent before this fight? In hindsight the argument seems obvious, but at 42-1 it's also obvious that very few believed Douglas was going to show this.
                    Tyson made his way to the title tearing through tall guys who tried to out jab him. Tyson always had a counter or defense. He relied on guys jabbing him and being able to disconnect their soul with the counter left hook. See the Biggs fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X