How good of a trainer was Lou Duva?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching a man break down and loose his courage and confidence
    is "hilarious"? ........

I found Golata's actions sad and disturbing! This guy had physical talent but his inner courage was in question to many times. A lack of focus lead him to believe that failure was imminent.
    I don't see anything humorous about watching a man have a mental breakdown.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      That's actually Al Certo who was in Golota's corner for that fight, not Lou.
      Yeah, I loved him too, also trained Buddy McGirt. I loved it in in interview when Certo said "I should shoved that mouthpiece up his a55" haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Yeah, I loved him too, also trained Buddy McGirt. I loved it in in interview when Certo said "I should shoved that mouthpiece up his a55" haha.
        That's the Certo interview I was talking about. It's pretty vile behavior from a trainer who at that point knew that Golota had a brain injury during the Tyson fight that could have ended his life if he did not quit.

Ray Corso what do you think of Certo running his mouth about Golota like that?

Comment

My perception of Lou Duva was that he was very aggressive person, but he also backed his fighters with a lot of passion..(Quite a similar personality type to Teddy Atlas!)......what sets the great boxing coaches apart from the average coaches is? the ability for a coach to understand you on a fundamental level! both psychologically and emotionally! and i think this was Lou Duva's talent, this is the area of coaching where he attempted to excel in! (He never really struck me as a very scientific coach, just more of a sophisticated motivational coach!)...
          Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            That's the Certo interview I was talking about. It's pretty vile behavior from a trainer who at that point knew that Golota had a brain injury during the Tyson fight that could have ended his life if he did not quit.

Ray Corso what do you think of Certo running his mouth about Golota like that?
            Yeah, but how would Golota himself have known that in the ring at that point? The criticism from Certo was more to do with Golota being a head case who either fouled opponents when he was doing either really well or getting beat badly and had no heart. The guy just got hurt and wanted to quit after 1 or 2 rounds. That's not a fighter, that's a guy with mental issues looking for a payday against a big name opponent.

Now if someone said that guy McClellan should have continued in that fight where he got hurt so bad he later went blind or that the Mancini-Kim fight should have continued, that I would consider pretty vile. Or even when Roy Jones was teeing off on that Richard Hall guy when it was finally thankfully stopped in the 11th.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Yeah, but how would Golota himself have known that in the ring at that point? The criticism from Certo was more to do with Golota being a head case who either fouled opponents when he was doing either really well or getting beat badly and had no heart. The guy just got hurt and wanted to quit after 1 or 2 rounds. That's not a fighter, that's a guy with mental issues looking for a payday against a big name opponent.

Now if someone said that guy McClellan should have continued in that fight where he got hurt so bad he later went blind or that the Mancini-Kim fight should have continued, that I would consider pretty vile. Or even when Roy Jones was teeing off on that Richard Hall guy when it was finally thankfully stopped in the 11th.
              I think that when a piece of bone in your skull cracked and is about to penetrate your brain, you probably can tell that something is terribly wrong.

If you listen to the post fight interview from Golota, he's slurring and stuttering so badly it's actually disturbing. He was in danger and he had enough sense to save himself otherwise Tyson would have killed him, literally.

But Certo in the interview, even after knowing all the medical facts is not forgiving whatsoever and is simply mad that his fighter didn't win. He simply cares more about winning/money than his fighter's well being, that's the only reason for him attacking Golota like that.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                Al Certo looks very bad after the fact. At the time ok, he didn't know what was going on with Golota. But later his brain injury was revealed and it became clear that Golota probably would have died if he continued to fight. So to see Certo still act like a foul mouthed hothead in an interview later on shows that he doesn't care about his fighters.
                There is a lot more to the fight than what happened in the ring. As much as I have sympathy for people, people sometimes really ask for problems. In this case the fight was made on the premise that a train wreck would occur. Both men, Tyson and Golota, went into the fight in a psychological state that was prohibitive. The responsible thing to do, for both men, would have been to deal with issues, get into the groove, maybe take an easier fight, and build up again.

It was known at the time that Golota was in no condition to fight. he had similar problems going against Lewis, it is why he looked so strange when he was caught by lewis...his eyes are wide open like he is in a type of shock...very dangerous, not generally how a person on the canvas looks. Tyson was, if memory serves correct, also coming off some problematic performances.

When those guys went into the ring it was sad, but they knew what they were doing and that the result was not going to be good. But alas it was sad indeed...
                Last edited by billeau2; 03-11-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  is "hilarious"? ........

I found Golata's actions sad and disturbing! This guy had physical talent but his inner courage was in question to many times. A lack of focus lead him to believe that failure was imminent.
                  I don't see anything humorous about watching a man have a mental breakdown.

Ray
                  Thats a good point Ray. I admit the humor in this case may have been "off key," given Golota's very real issues. I do think Golota had lost those things a while ago, and there are documented professionals, including his psychologist, who were on record saying he was compulsive and had serious fear issues that made him foul in the ring. This is a guy who could have beaten Bowe but fouled out, that really shows a lack of self control.

Its sad that they let this fight happen. its sad the reason they let this fight happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    is "hilarious"? .......
                    No, not that part. Certo's animated reaction is what was funny.

Although I admit it is in poor taste given Golota's condition.

Comment

Certo just comes across as a real life Mickey Goldmill without the sincere care and love for his fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X