Collapse
No announcement yet.

State a little know boxing fact.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Green K sent to you fine gentleman.

Comment

Jack Johnson took on a wrestler,this was the earliest footage of a boxer vs wrestler in 1914....

Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Durán never actually uttered the immortal words ("no mas") attributed to him. It was Howard Cosell who said it, showing-off his Spanish when he saw Duran turn his back on Leonard. What Durán actually said (to the ref) was - "no quiero seguir peleando con éste payaso" (I don't want to keep fighting with this clown).

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
          Durán never actually uttered the immortal words ("no mas") attributed to him. It was Howard Cosell who said it, showing-off his Spanish when he saw Duran turn his back on Leonard. What Durán actually said (to the ref) was - "no quiero seguir peleando con éste payaso" (I don't want to keep fighting with this clown).
          Smdh...Typical Howard Cosell. I hated that miserable prick.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            I remember also hearing a story that said that referee Octavio Mehran also said No Mas when Duran quit and he waved off the fight, signalling the stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
              Jack Johnson took on a wrestler,this was the earliest footage of a boxer vs wrestler in 1914....

Thats quite a find! Gene LeBell had a match I think it was after Ali and Inouke, but i fogot the boxer. You are also probably aware of all the Ju jitsu matches against the boxers in the early 1900's. Many of these took place in Hawaii, the founder of Danzan Ryu's teacher had a few allegedly. But most of the protracted matches were wrestlers against Jiu Jitsu men...

Wrestlers are tough to handle from a Ju Jutsu perspective. This is primarily in the area of throwing because wrestlers have great balance and when sprawling, a low center of balance...Superfoot Wallace allegedly, as a novice, bested his Judo teacher with wrestling technique.
              Last edited by billeau2; 10-21-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Thats quite a find! Gene LeBell had a match I think it was after Ali and Inouke, but i fogot the boxer. You are also probably aware of all the Ju jitsu matches against the boxers in the early 1900's. Many of these took place in Hawaii, the founder of Danzan Ryu's teacher had a few allegedly. But most of the protracted matches were wrestlers against Jiu Jitsu men...

Wrestlers are tough to handle from a Ju Jutsu perspective. This is primarily in the area of throwing because wrestlers have great balance and when sprawling, a low center of balance...Superfoot Wallace allegedly, as a novice, bested his Judo teacher with wrestling technique.
                Once the wrestler gets the boxer off his feet it is all over. Usually doesn't take very long either.

Comment

Yep as evidenced in those early MMA tournaments. That's why strikers eventually learned grappling and vice versa, with fighters cross training in multiple disciplines in order to be well rounded.

And Bill Superfoot Wallace was also a commentator at UFC 1.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Johnny 'Tucan' McGinty got his nickname because he put his nose into his opponents eye or something a long those lines.
                    I didn't know that. I'd heard that he had a real rough streak to him though, so it doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      Yep as evidenced in those early MMA tournaments. That's why strikers eventually learned grappling and vice versa, with fighters cross training in multiple disciplines in order to be well rounded.

And Bill Superfoot Wallace was also a commentator at UFC 1.
                      Originally Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns were suppossed to be an original commentator for UFC 1 ,they both turned it down. They were also at UFC one for Art Jimmerson.

One of my affiliates showed me his UFC 1 invitation 3 years ago ,he was at the time Muai Thai champion.He changed his mind when he saw the pay and no life or death insurance ,i think he said you got a 1000 dollars each win ,you got 60,000 if you won the tournament .
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X