No announcement yet.

Covington’s coach: Darren Till getting title shot is ‘devaluing’ UFC belts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covington’s coach: Darren Till getting title shot is ‘devaluing’ UFC belts

CALGARY, Alberta — Colby Covington won the UFC interim welterweight championship at UFC 225 against Rafael dos Anjos. That was just seven weeks ago. But the UFC is moving forward with the 170-pound division without Covington.

Tyron Woodley will defend his title against Darren Till — not Covington — at UFC 228 on Sept. 8 in Dallas, it was officially announced Tuesday after a report by ESPN. Covington is unable to fight on that date due to recent sinus surgery, ESPN reported.

Rather than waiting for Covington to be champ, the UFC had Woodley available in September and a main event spot open. So, Till will step in and become No. 1 contender. Interim title be damned.

Covington’s coach Mike Brown told MMA Fighting on Wednesday at UFC on FOX 30 open workouts here that Covington’s squad at American Top Team is frustrated by the decision.

“I’m pretty bummed about it,” Brown said. “I just feel like its devaluing the belts. You can’t just make every fight a title fight if it doesn’t go your way. It just doesn’t seem right, it doesn’t seem like it’s good for long-term value for the titles. That’s a big problem. That’s the bottom line, I think they’re devaluing the belts. Everybody sees it.”

Brown said Covington is not very pleased with the Woodley vs. Till matchup, but the coach believes Covington, when healthy, is still next in line for the welterweight title shot.

“He’s of course upset,” Brown said. “But what are you gonna do? Life goes on. Whatever happens, he’s gonna be he biggest fight after this that they’re gonna want to make. What’s next, they want to do it quickly. But after that, there’s gonna be something else that will be next. I think that he’ll be the guy they’ll want to fight the winner, I’m sure. He’s the guy that I think has earned that spot. I think he’s also drawing a lot of attention. I think it’ll also have the best numbers. I’m sure we’ll see it. But it’s just a shame how they’re going about it.”

Woodley and Covington have been warring on social media and in the press for about a year now. The two are former training partners at ATT with wildly divergent interpretations on how their past sparring sessions have gone. The grudge match was shaping up to be a fairly lucrative one. But now Woodley will need to get by Till, who missed weight by three pounds in his last fight, to make it happen.

“I think the bigger fight would have been Colby,” Brown said. “Let it wait a couple months. “Everybody wants that fight. I think Woodley wants the fight, I think Colby wants the fight. I think a couple months later wouldn’t have hurt anything. It’s really frustrating.”

True, but this has been happening for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      True, but this has been happening for a long time.
      But now its getting worse

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        But now its getting worse
        Yeah, it's like WWE, where anyone can just go on TV and demand a title shot and usually get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Yeah, it's like WWE, where anyone can just go on TV and demand a title shot and usually get one.
          Not Elmsworth

Comment

Makes no sense at all.

I can't stand Colby, but he deserves the title shot next.

I hope Darren Till doesn't make weight, just so Dana gets pissed off again. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              Makes no sense at all.

I can't stand Colby, but he deserves the title shot next.

I hope Darren Till doesn't make weight, just so Dana gets pissed off again. Lol

Comment

This whole thing is hilarious. The worst example of this was Ferguson losing his interim title so soon, and now this Covington one has taken the cake.

He won the belt on June 9 and couldn't make the fight on September 8, just had surgery and was told he was being stripped...for not being able to fight less than 3 months after winning his interim title....so it was given to a guy who got a lucky hometown decision AFTER missing weight for the 2nd time out of his 6 UFC fights...

The UFC are laughing all the way to the bank. If it weren't for the fact that people hated Covington they'd be called out on his BS more, but they knew they could get away with setting this messed up precedent because no-one would defend Colby.

The mainstream MMA media have themselves to blame big time - they are like the CNN of MMA media and Colby is Trump.
                Now fighters will either;

A) NOT fight for interim titles (thus saving fight cards and giving us awesome fights) because they have been made absolutely REDUNDANT (other than to the UFC who get to profit off of selling a fight as a 'title fight'),
                or
                B) Fighters in future will also be stripped willy-nilly and no-one can say anything because they said nothing now.

The hatred for Colby has overshadowed the magnitude of the terrible precedent the UFC has just set, and the UFC calculated this.

They needed a title fight for a 228 PPV, and WW was the only weight available.
                Let's go through all the male divisions in the UFC to see which ones could potentially headline UFC 228 with a championship fight
                FLW: Champion just fought on 227
                BW: Champion just fought on 227
                FW: Champ is out.
                LW: UFC 229
                WW:......
                MW: Champ is out
                LHW: Double champ just fought / is out for Lesnar fight
                HW: Double champ just fought / is out for Lesnar fight

That left only WW as a possible UFC title fight PPV slot before the Mcgregor PPV
                Last edited by 'b'; 08-08-2018, 05:39 AM.

Comment

very simple....

\fuck the ufc

fuck dana white too

Comment

Working...
                  X