No announcement yet.

Actual connect rate today vs yesteryear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual connect rate today vs yesteryear

I notice time and time again everytime I watch boxing I notice the actual amount of real connected punches is extremely low now. Newer fighters have adopted this frantic "scared" style of fighting. Often commentating will claim they land blows yet I can see with my own eyes nothing connects. Even compubox seems to be on par with the fraud. I see fights being won because fighters are "controlling the pace" "agressive" or other flashy reasons like that.

That being said, some punches do get through - so highlight reels don't count. Also some fighters tend to connect more than others. Errol spence seems to actually connect a lot as did Manny Pacquiao.

However, a whole slew of these newer boxers I swear barely connect any shots they just look busy or slick.

It makes perfect sense as well because most of the time they walk away completely unmarked both with paycheque in hand.

- -Queue up TUE 50-0.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Queue up TUE 50-0.
      lmao well realistically what do you think

How many actual punches connected in these 2 fights for example:

Canelo vs Jacobs
      Pacquiao vs Mayweather
      food for thought as well...watch Mayweather vs Maidana 2 in HD and tell me in all honesty how many times Mayweather "actually connected".

Canelo vs Lara please watch in HD and tell me how many times Canelo actually lands on Lara, not on his damn arms.

I should make a point that Lomachenko seems to actually connect a lot. Obviously why he's destroying everyone. Spence as well as said earlier.

Shawn porter, another guy that lands about 5 punches per fight.
      Last edited by them_apples; 05-08-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I strongly doubt, that the "contact-rate" (on average) is any lower today than during earlier times.

Sure, today we can find lots of slow-paced fights on YouTube, where nothing much is happening.

But to make a broad statement, that this is more prevalent today than back in the "good old days"... well, I doubt if there's any factual evidence, that backs up such an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          I strongly doubt, that the "contact-rate" (on average) is any lower today than during earlier times.

Sure, today we can find lots of slow-paced fights on YouTube, where nothing much is happening.

But to make a broad statement, that this is more prevalent today than back in the "good old days"... well, I doubt if there's any factual evidence, that backs up such an opinion.
          As for factual evidence, what about glove size? Surely bigger gloves helps on defense. More punches gets caught in the guard or at least ensure that it only lands partially.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            As for factual evidence, what about glove size? Surely bigger gloves helps on defense. More punches gets caught in the guard or at least ensure that it only lands partially.
            Yes, this is real, factual "evidence" - and something that can be discussed in a sensible manner.

And I do agree that, everything else being equal, it's reasonable to argue that bigger gloves will allow more punches to be blocked - thus lowering the contact-rate.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              Newer fighters have adopted this frantic "scared" style of fighting.
              This is an example of non-factual evidence, which is not backed up by anything other than personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

- -To be sure, such research would be a Herculean snoozer of a task to rival Rip Van Winkle in scope.

But to present a narrow statement that transcends both sides of the argument, I present a Dominican, Joan Guzman known as Little Tyson in his day.

He was a blocky sort for a 122 lber, but undefeated when he fought Humberto Soto at 130 for the Manny sweepstakes. Soto a bigger stronger Mex took it to him hard, but Guz chose to box and move with light tapping to take a wide decision. Bob arum their promoter so incensed he killed both their chances for Manny.

Bob the most old school currently in boxing wanted ACTION, not ***** footing, and it's a fact that SRRobinson chose his high octane style with his future huge purses in mind.

Proves nothing as to this debate other than to highlight without a legit fight, boxers tend to wither on the vine.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/58717

Comment

Sometimes starting a good thread means putting fourth an opinion

I think ThemApples challenged people with this thread. Putting fourth an assertion guaranteed to bring out the usual suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    lmao well realistically what do you think

How many actual punches connected in these 2 fights for example:

Canelo vs Jacobs
                    Pacquiao vs Mayweather
                    food for thought as well...watch Mayweather vs Maidana 2 in HD and tell me in all honesty how many times Mayweather "actually connected".

Canelo vs Lara please watch in HD and tell me how many times Canelo actually lands on Lara, not on his damn arms.

I should make a point that Lomachenko seems to actually connect a lot. Obviously why he's destroying everyone. Spence as well as said earlier.

Shawn porter, another guy that lands about 5 punches per fight.
                    Tere is a lot of truth to what you say. Guys who threw flashy combinations often get credit for bogus punches.

Comment

Working...
                    X