Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cincinnati Cobra (Charles) versus Gene Tunney who wins and why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding another man between my legs just isn't for me, man.

But I would be more willing to live and let live if their fans weren't so disrespectful to boxing. Especially when their top fighters generally show such horrible stand up skills.

Comment

True, but I've also seen plenty of boxing fans being disrespectful to MMA, calling it MMGAY, a fad, or fringe sport, which is complete BS. Might not be totally mainstream, but it's far from fringe and since the UFC has been around over 20 years, can't be considered a fad.

And yeah, they do have bad stand up, because that's only a small part of their training. I could easily counter with the fact that boxers are also terrible on the ground. If someone only trains boxing and then someone else has to train boxing, kickboxing, BJJ or possibly wrestling and muay thai, of course they're not going to be as skilled as someone who spends all their time training boxing. Most of the fighters in the sport usually start from some kind of wrestling, BJJ, karate/kickboxing base, meaning they spend years training that and learn boxing much later in life, so it's to be expected.

You might not want to hold someone between your legs, but when it's the only way to keep someone on top of you from punching you in the face, sometimes one might need to, until they can get to their feet or reverse on top. And I might rather choke someone unconscious than try to knock them out with a punch, as it can take less time and effort, unless you have that one punch power.

So, to summarize, Too Long, Didn't Read, those who want respect give respect, there's always going to be douches in any fandom and boxing also needs to not disrespect MMA.

Comment

Two ATG's, two of the best ever at LHW. Two highly skilled operators.

Harold Johnson outboxed Charles, but then again Harold Johnson could outbox anyone on his best day.

I'll pick draw Hard to predict this one.

Comment

It would not be a puny ten round fight, would it? That could make a difference.

Is there tape of either fighting at 175? I think not. Ring size would be a huge issue. The bigger the better for Tunney. Charles would like a sixteen foot ring against this man.

Tunney would have to maintain that footspeed for fifteen rounds, while probably absorbing more than he did against Dempsey. Charles has to become the hunter, we already know he can trap. Tunney, though, instintively gives all traps a wide berth. Tunney is stronger than given credit for. He was a true hardbody. Once in a while a photo catches them just right to drop your jaw. I saw one of Gene, and also of Tyson. Squeezing any part of their arm would not feel much different from squeezing oak.

Now you know Gene is not voluntarily going to war on the inside. Ezzard has to take him there by force, if he can. Ez may have enough black in him to apply pressure the right way against the poetry-reading marine. The most important factor in the fight is foot speed.

I once saw some footage that passed very quickly of a younger Charles, or so I thought. I was not actually sure it was, but there was an implication by way of context that this was the younger Charles. The figter in the footage was a whirlwind. If young Charles actually had some whirlwinder in him, this fight would probably live up to its buildup. The whirlwinder I saw in the footage would make Tunney fight for his life every second. Anyone already knows that Charles is more than tough enough, and for any fighter within reach he is a technical handfull.

What Ezzard lacks is huge punching power, he just has an average punch for power. Gene is the harder puncher.

I believe there is quite a lot that is cogent that has not been preserved on film to help us. We could know more about Tunney's inside abilities and more about Ezzard's foot speed and fighting temprament in his younger days. If heavyweight footspeed is any indication, Ezzard would lose a wide decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            So, to summarize, Too Long, Didn't Read, those who want respect give respect, there's always going to be douches in any fandom and boxing also needs to not disrespect MMA.
            The way I see it they drew first blood. And it's not just the fandom that have been douches towards boxing, it's also their broadcasters and president too.

But it's fine. In the end I don't think we need or even want their respect anyway. Boxing will continue to chug along in some form or another regardless, like it has for hundreds of years.

Comment

Well I respect both boxing and MMA. And there are plenty of MMA fans who do as well. Like I said, there are douches when it comes to fans of anything. There's always people that think their favorite fighter, team or athlete could beat anyone. There will always be those blinded by fandom. No reason to denounce an entire group is all I'm saying. And I can respect you. The fighters respect it a lot more, as more of them try to use boxing now in their training and stand up, even though it's not as good as someone who has been boxing their whole lives and even former boxers get into the MMA, like Holly Holm or Jessica Rakoczy. Ray Mercer even had a fight there.

Point is, MMA isn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                The way I see it they drew first blood. And it's not just the fandom that have been douches towards boxing, it's also their broadcasters and president too.

But it's fine. In the end I don't think we need or even want their respect anyway. Boxing will continue to chug along in some form or another regardless, like it has for hundreds of years.
                The way I see it, you can take it or leave it, but it doesn't mean the fighters don't have any skill.

Comment

I am 6'9" and I don't like boxers, MMA fighters or prison guards. I will pound them all, given the chance, even at my age. I can pulp a young potato with my grip, so I don't worry about them too much. My favorite fighting move has always been the whirlybird. If I can get hold of a man's wrist and ankle it is all over for him--I'll sling him halfway across a parking lot. I believe I could make any MMA fighter tap out just from squeezing their wrist
                  Last edited by The Old LefHook; 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Prime vs prime I would take ezzard by razor thin decision.. I think ezzard would land the harder flashier shots, while Tunney would probably dictate the pace and use a lot of angles on Charles

Comment

I like Charles by very close points victory. He just had a few more tools than Gene.

Comment

Working...
                      X