Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was better, Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
    I got Robinson beating Leonard, and BTW, I hate young punks that give themselves that "Sugar" moniker.

Jones would have lightning struck Leonard, too fast..
    I don't need to consider opposition to make this assessment.
    Kaboom= jones. I'd like to think the smaller Robinson would have found a way to survive & win ( old man talk ) but I can't see Leonard beating wpeither guy.
    There is more sugar in boxing than in fruit loops!!

Comment

roy jones KOs leonard worse than camacho did.

Comment

"Kaboom= jones. I'd like to think the smaller Robinson would have found a way to survive & win"

Jones 5'11" 160 74 reach
        Sugarman 5'11" 160 73 reach

Smaller? Smaller feet?..............
        Jones fought one or two meaningful fights at 160, the majority were "opponents" brought in the build his record.

Robinson as a welter was well prepared to take on the best middleweights. I'll take Sugar Ray over any one from 47 to 60.

Ray

Comment

Robinson was a micro middleweight. That is one reason he was susceptible to being rough housed by miniature men like Basilio. Even in the era of same-day weigh ins he could seldom reach 160. Imagine the galootish trouble a big man like Danny Jacobs might hold in store for him, or a large 'un like Billy Joe Saunders. These men make Monzon look tiny.

Though listed as 5' 11" and probably actually standing 5' 10', Robby was truly willowy of limb. He boxed as a featherweight in the amateurs, and probably could have made the modern junior middleweight limit at any point in his professional career while still under thirty-five years of age. He had the body type of Sandy Saddler. Still yet, Robby's biggest mistake was in never going after Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            "Kaboom= jones. I'd like to think the smaller Robinson would have found a way to survive & win"

Jones 5'11" 160 74 reach

Jones fought one or two meaningful fights at 160, the majority were "opponents" brought in the build his record.

Robinson as a welter was well prepared to take on the best middleweights. I'll take Sugar Ray over any one from 47 to 60.

Ray
            Over anyone in general from 47 to 60? That's a bold statement, but certainly justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              He had the body type of Sandy Saddler. Still yet, Robby's biggest mistake was in never going after Marciano.
              Would have probably ended up looking like Bob Foster going after Frazier and Ali; he just didn't look right in there; but it still looks great on his resume.

In reality, he had to get by Maxim, and then maybe it would have happened, timing was right, certainly the money would have been there.

Marciano was fighting around 185-187 at the time.

Is it the same for a 150lb man to give up 40 pounds to a 190lb man as a 200lb man to give up 40 pounds to a 240lb man?
              Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones Jr were some of the most naturally talented fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves. Both were noted for their speed, and both had success at multiple weights. But, who was the better fighter pound for pound?
                It depends on what criteria you judge them on. In terms of pure talent- it’s clearly Roy but in terms of what they accomplished in their career- it’s clearly SRL.
                It’s very hard to judge as P4P is so ambiguous. If I had to judge who was the better fighter P4P over their entire careers- It’d have to be Leonard based on resume, elite wins, accomplishments etc but if they were both at their peaks and I had to rank them in a P4P list- I’d have to put Roy above SRL based on his freakish attributes which I believe we will probably never see the like of again.
                This is a good question they’re both ATG fighters and I actually have SRL and Roy 5,6 respectively on my all time P4P list.
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Wow so many people picking against a prime Roy, I just don’t see it. Prime Roy is the closest thing to an unbeatable fighter there is IMO. SRR had incredible timing so maybe he catches RJJ leaping in with one of those lead left hooks, but I’d confidently predict Roy would outpouint SRR, SRR also would bring his hands back low following his combination’s, I think Roy would be able to utilise his speed and reach advantage and land a lot of counters. This matchup is also unfair IMO it’s essentially a guy who’s prime was at lightweight/welterweight facing a guy who’s prime was Super middle/Light heavyweight.
                  As for SRL vs RJJ, Roy dominates this fight IMO, I could see it being like the first 10 of the Hearns fight, with Roy effectively pot-shotting Leonard with stinging shots. Again though Leonard has a considerable size and weight disadvantage. Roy was a naturally a much bigger man than both these guys, neither matchup is fair IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Jones 5'11" 160 74 reach

Ray
                    Mike Tyson 5'10 71" reach

Celestine Cabellero 5'11 73" reach

Cabellero same size as Mike Tyson? You should know since you trained him apparently.

Ray Robinson and Roy Jones might be the same height and reach but obviously Roy Jones is vastly bigger than Robinson that is just common sense but I'm not suprised that you are struggling with that.

Comment

Jones has been KO'd an unprecedented 5 times. I say 5 times. He never did have a chin. Another ATG great would have been able to find his china shop, namely Walker Smith, and then it's good night, ladies.

Comment

Working...
                      X