No announcement yet.

Harold Johnson vs. John Conteh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harold Johnson vs. John Conteh

At their peak, which great Light Heavyweight fighter would win this match up? Johnson, the more classy pure technician, against a talented savvy boxer puncher in Conteh.

Johnson wide UD.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Johnson wide UD.
      i feel it would be a lot closer. Conteh was one hell of a boxer/puncher as was Johnson. Conteh once defended his world title winning a unanimous decision over 15rds using only his left hand. He broke his right hand in the 2nd round.. i see this match-up as being "A Classic".. .. Johnson SD

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        i feel it would be a lot closer. Conteh was one hell of a boxer/puncher as was Johnson. Conteh once defended his world title winning a unanimous decision over 15rds using only his left hand. He broke his right hand in the 2nd round.. i see this match-up as being "A Classic".. .. Johnson SD
        Maybe.

I just think the timing and IQ is with Johnson, and his superior jab will offset Conteh and control the pace. Johnson's jab was exceptional.

But he'd also stand and fight, so maybe your right.

Conteh was a very good fighter aswell.

Comment

I'm gonna go with Johnson here....as I've already shown, I'm a fight fan and not a fighter fan and i'm going to be objective, not some lame historical nut hugger like a certain rusty dan.

Fact is, Johnson was a superior fighter in almost every department, Conteh was good and great for british boxing at the time but jOhnson would have too much. UD.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            I'm gonna go with Johnson here....as I've already shown, I'm a fight fan and not a fighter fan and i'm going to be objective, not some lame historical nut hugger like a certain rusty dan.

Fact is, Johnson was a superior fighter in almost every department, Conteh was good and great for british boxing at the time but jOhnson would have too much. UD.
            You've shown you're clueless

So I'm a "fighter fan", how many times are going to call me a "fighter fan"?

Mayweather, Roy Jones, Johnson, Kovalev, who else?

Hey idiot, you've basically just repeated exactly what I said in this thread

Comment

This clown says I'm a "historical nuthugger" in this thread.

Yet, in the Kovalev-Torres thread, I picked Kovalev by KO. Oh and he called me a white supremacist for that

I'm also a nuthugger of Roy Jones and Mayweather and a fan of those "fighters" and not a "fight fan"

So how can I be all of those at the same time, genius?

Comment

I seem to remember Conteh as a short lived phenomenon. I also remember not seeing the fight where he knocked off the champ (who was it Galindez?) but hearing about it second hand.

The two things stuck in my mind about Johnson are big puncher and a glass jaw. I don't even know if those impressions are correct, so I will just have to watch the action unfold in this one and try to learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  I seem to remember Conteh as a short lived phenomenon. I also remember not seeing the fight where he knocked off the champ (who was it Galindez?) but hearing about it second hand.

The two things stuck in my mind about Johnson are big puncher and a glass jaw. I don't even know if those impressions are correct, so I will just have to watch the action unfold in this one and try to learn something.
                  Funny you say that because he was known as feather fisted in his day (he wasn't)

His chin was a weakness, BUT, far from glass.

He was only legitimately stopped by two fighters, Moore and Oakland Billy Smith, both who could hit very hard.

Comment

I always feel a bit weird when John Conteh's name crops up. I know a lot about the guy and yet I've only seen a couple of his fights.

My uncle worked alongside him and said that it was tragic he took so much racial abuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X