Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I admit it. boxing SUCKS compared to mma.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grange_27 View Post
    However you seem to think that everything an MMA fighter trains in they master? Come on now.
    I didnt say that. I said there are tons of MMA fighters who have mastered one art as much as a boxer has mastered theres, and then they build on top of it.

And again, which "masters" of other combat sports could be dropped into the octagon tomorrow and beat the top guys of their size?

Originally posted by Grange_27 View Post
    As I said each to thier own. If you prefer rolling around on the floor and sloppy striking MMA all the way. I personally don't I have watched it and its ok but nothing id stay up for. You enjoy it , good for you.
    Do you actually understand it on a technical level though? just randomly tuning into it (with probable negative confirmation bias too) isnt automatically going to do that. Which is why black belt level BJJ and/or division 1 wrestling just looks like "rolling around on the floor".

Comment

• Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
      I didnt say that. I said there are tons of MMA fighters who have mastered one art as much as a boxer has mastered theres, and then they build on top of it.

And again, which "masters" of other combat sports could be dropped into the octagon tomorrow and beat the top guys of their size?

Do you actually understand it on a technical level though? just randomly tuning into it (with probable negative confirmation bias too) isnt automatically going to do that. Which is why black belt level BJJ and/or division 1 wrestling just looks like "rolling around on the floor".
      I have no interest in it to be honest. It looks like rolling around on the floor because that what it is. Im not saying its easy im saying its massively boring to watch in my opinion. So i dont.

On the plus side UFC has got the casual meathead audience nailed down now in the US and i bet they don't understand it either.

Comment

I have no interest in it to be honest. It looks like rolling around on the floor because that what it is. Im not saying its easy im saying its massively boring to watch in my opinion. So i dont.

On the plus side UFC has got the casual meathead audience nailed down now in the US and i bet they don't understand it either.
        Imagine if you didnt get the technical nuances of boxing, hadnt conditioned yourself over time to instinctively recognize the crispness of the shots, good counters, good timing, good positioning, good distance control, using the jab effectively etc etc. It seems like second nature but the average person will just see two blokes trying to punch each other, they wont understand the levels at all. Its the same with MMA, with football, with any sport.

I cant really speak on the casual US audience. Most MMA fans I know tend to be pretty knowledgeable though, and I think MMA fans are more the types to watch multiple combat sports because of the "mixed" nature of MMA itself and the relative crossover.

Its an international audience these days too tbf.

Comment

Imagine if you didnt get the technical nuances of boxing, hadnt conditioned yourself over time to instinctively recognize the crispness of the shots, good counters, good timing, good positioning, good distance control, using the jab effectively etc etc. It seems like second nature but the average person will just see two blokes trying to punch each other, they wont understand the levels at all. Its the same with MMA, with football, with any sport.

I cant really speak on the casual US audience. Most MMA fans I know tend to be pretty knowledgeable though, and I think MMA fans are more the types to watch multiple combat sports because of the "mixed" nature of MMA itself and the relative crossover.

Its an international audience these days too tbf.
          OK so on that yes agree I have a friend who is a MMA fan and a boxing casual. So he watches the big boxing fights with us in a group in the pub. Knows the basics but misses subtle nuances.

Comment

OK so on that yes agree I have a friend who is a MMA fan and a boxing casual. So he watches the big boxing fights with us in a group in the pub. Knows the basics but misses subtle nuances.
            This is probably the briefest vid I can find explaining the absolute basics positions of the ground game.

Bear in mind theres a hierarchy of positions, both for the fighter on the top and the fighter on his back, in terms of amount of control over the opponent plus attacking options for both strikes and submissions. Because of that hierarchy you need "passes" (or transitions) ie techniques to move from one position to another effectively. Every single position has tons of transitions, submission options etc for both opponents. Heres a rapid fire example of how intricate it can get, and remember MMA adds ground striking to this too...

Same thing from the guy on bottoms perspective...

And this is just the ground game for ****s sake. Heres the current UFC MW champ...

And heres arguably the GOAT HW showing how to beautifully transition from striking range to standing grappling range, he was one of the best at it.

This is why it cracks me up when people tune into a random UFC already looking to **** on it and then come up with the "sloppy" "bar room brawlers" "rolling around" etc stuff because it doesnt look like pure queensberry rules. The sport is technically deep as ****.

Comment

• Im sure it is im not denying that. I just find the whole grappling thing deeply boring to watch. Golf is also deeply technical but i have no interest in watching that either

Comment

• Originally posted by NYG View Post
                Agreed. People want to see rock em sock em robots, nobody can appreciate technical boxing fights anymore and that's why they rather watch the UFC. People don't like things their brains can't understand.
                The ground game in MMA is plenty technical when you have two top grapplers in there and ironically, that's something you don't seem to understand. No, people want to see more than just punches thrown. They want to see other techniques. They want to see kicks, knees, elbows and submissions.

Comment

Im sure it is im not denying that. I just find the whole grappling thing deeply boring to watch. Golf is also deeply technical but i have no interest in watching that either
                  The ground game isnt as prevalent as it used to be tbf. 75% of it is stand up these days i'd say whereas it was more 50/50 back in the 00s. I think its because everyones more rounded now so they often cancel each other out grappling wise, making it not as worthwhile draining your cardio going for takedowns that wont necessarily get you anywhere.

Comment

Wrestling and kicks drain your gas tank far quicker than straight boxing though, plus 5 min rounds vs 3 minute so less breaks to recharge.

Theres more chance of an upset in MMA, I agree with that. That just makes it more impressive when guys put together long undefeated streaks in MMA imo.
                    Plus someone can get caught with a submission or quick punch or kick because the best are fighting each other. It's like watching the NFL or NBA. Anything can happen and that's what makes it exciting. It's not like that doesn't happen in boxing, where a fighter doesn't land a punch that suddenly gives them a comeback KO/TKO or turns the tide in their favor, I mean come on.

Comment

Im sure it is im not denying that. I just find the whole grappling thing deeply boring to watch. Golf is also deeply technical but i have no interest in watching that either
                      That's fine if you're not a fan of MMA. So I'm just wondering then. Why are you posting in the MMA section? Not trying to be a dick.

Comment

Working...
                      X