No announcement yet.

oldschool fighters Era and psychology

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    We don't know if he grabbed it out of thin air. You are making big assumptions yourself.

I'll admit at this point I can't prove it beyond Mike Silvers word, but he may be able to. I wouldn't jump so such a fast conclusion that it's bull****.

The actual claim as well is one in 65 give or take, I rounded it to 70 to cover my bases.

Mike Silver Aside, the odds of holding a title have gone up drastically, and allowed no name fighters to somehow be credited as special.

You take titles away and Marcos Maidanas are essentially a Davy boy green, Broner is a Wellington Wheatley. All these claims as them being special are because they won titles. Some of them wouldn't even be ranked if there was 1 title.
    You're right, with so many divisions and 4 titles to compete for in each, it's obviously much easier to become champ today.

So today the term "world champion" doesn't really carry the same weight as before. And yes, in the days of only 1 champ in each the 8 classic divisions - the vast majority of today's "champions" would naturally never win the right to be called that. Of this, there can be no doubt.

Personally, I don't care which fighter holds which crown - I prefer to look at how good, the individuel boxers are.

With regard to the 1 in 70, the reason I asked about that, was because I found it astonishing, that someone could actually predict something like that. I wasn't trying to diss anyone… I was honestly curious to see, how that was worked out.

But since there is no possible way, anyone can predict how many of today's boxers will, at some time, hold a world title - the only conclusion must be, that this number (I understand, it is actually 65) is made up without foundation in anything. I think, we should be able to at least agree on that!

Comment

Pretty much just Pacquiao. Because he was a great fighter. Sooner or later you are gonna need balls and he had them.

Canelo has had his tests and failed everyone of them. Never adjusted vs Mayweather. Had probably 20 lbs on him too. Just stayed in his safety zone. Never really went out an secured a win over Ggg just moved on. Canelo is just a good fighter he's not great. There were tons of good fighters like him years ago, that never won titles even.

Canelo vs shane
      Canelo vs khan
      Canelo vs Mayweather
      Canelo vs cotto

OK 4 fights vs 147 lbders one which is a loss. Cotto was competitive at 154 so I'll give him that win, but let's not forget it was a SD win and nobody expected Cotto to win anyways.

His resume at 154, Lara (he lost that fight) Kirkland (a bum) trout (close fight)

And of course 2 fights with ggg. He didn't win either of them. The first one ggg won by a landslide the second fight should have been a draw. Or regardless there should be a 3rd fight. But he's waiting it out, will fight ggg down the road and win because ggg is finishing his career.

He is a product of marketing. The easiest way to figure this is out is to ask yourself before the fight is made, if you overwhelming expect one fighter to win its a cherry pick. There is no such thing as a tuneup when you only fight 2 times a year.

I'm picking on Canelo because he's a perfect example of a game plan that Mayweather created. You go solo and promote yourself, you cherry pick you make sure you take as little risk as possible. But the public gets duped.

Even the idea of avoiding a rematch with a fighter you scored a split decision victory over is a duck. What if the guy figures you out next time? What if Pacquiao never fought Marquez the 4th time?

Boxing today to me seems fake, almost staged. You have to play dumb to enjoy it.
      Staged, like pro wrestling. So guys like Canelo and Mayweather pulled and are pulling heel (villain) tactics then, like waiting out GGG until he's old enough not to be a risk? Kind of like Leonard waiting until 1987 to fight Hagler?

Comment

Mayweather didn't create any gameplan. Bob Arum has been building stars by cherry picking opponents for years.

And it goes back even further than that. Joe Louis had his Bum of the Month Club.

As for Canelo he won the second fight with Golovkin and beat Lara in my eyes (with Lara stinking out the joint like Cuban fighters are prone to do. See Rigondeaux's most recent fight.)

Just because a fight is close does not make the result a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Staged, like pro wrestling. So guys like Canelo and Mayweather pulled and are pulling heel (villain) tactics then, like waiting out GGG until he's old enough not to be a risk? Kind of like Leonard waiting until 1987 to fight Hagler?
          Yes exactly like that. That was the very beginning of that bull****. Leonard didn't make an entire career out of it though, and was a welterweight he had no real obligation to fight hagler. He wasn't even campaigning at 160 either. He was retired.
          Last edited by them_apples; 02-18-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Mayweather didn't create any gameplan. Bob Arum has been building stars by cherry picking opponents for years.

And it goes back even further than that. Joe Louis had his Bum of the Month Club.

As for Canelo he won the second fight with Golovkin and beat Lara in my eyes (with Lara stinking out the joint like Cuban fighters are prone to do. See Rigondeaux's most recent fight.)

Just because a fight is close does not make the result a robbery.
            Nah. Fighters werent sculpting careers out of ducking and dodging. Dodging someone was something looked down upon. Their entire careers weren't molded on this method. Joe Louis bum of the month club was a joke made up because he was destroying everyone. Joe Louis wasn't ducking everyone or waiting them out. Even when he came back he fought all the best guys.

Comment

Nah. Fighters werent sculpting careers out of ducking and dodging. Dodging someone was something looked down upon. Their entire careers weren't molded on this method. Joe Louis bum of the month club was a joke made up because he was destroying everyone. Joe Louis wasn't ducking everyone or waiting them out. Even when he came back he fought all the best guys.
              Needless to say, ducking and dodging isn't a new thing. It has always taken place (see post #6).

The idea that there was once this glorious time, governed by pride and honor, where champions were eager to put their crown on the line against the most deserving challengers - is of course nothing but a myth!

The name of the game has always been money - yesterday as well as today.
              Last edited by Bundana; 02-18-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                - -I realize I'm dealing mostly with a giggle 3rd millennium school boys, but age wise Canelo has accomplished way more than schoolboy heartthrob SissyBoyFloyd and made bukos mo'$...Duh!

Comment

Working...
                X