No announcement yet.

Appreciation For Level Of Conditioning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taha93 View Post
    Cause you don't have to be a runner, i also had a slight calf issue so i slowed my pace and i was able to run 20 minutes and it increased my stamina and breathing problem was also reduced.
    It's not that I'm not a runner, it's that I have a perpetual issue and running just isn't a smart idea as it provokes the issue. Slowing down isn't something I'm willing to try just yet. MAYBE in time if I get incremental improvement I can add it in but for now it's not what I'll do.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
      Also, I know what helps experienced boxers is efficiency and breathing. This drill will help me see the results of getting better at both of those.
      Along with this consider that it's important to relax the upper body and arms between punches to conserve energy. Practice relaxing the arm, shoulder and chest muscles between punches and combos along with breathing. If your all tensed up the whole time, your wasting energy and difficult to control the breathing. Also I think a relaxed muscle will allow quicker, accurate punch with more snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
        Along with this consider that it's important to relax the upper body and arms between punches to conserve energy. Practice relaxing the arm, shoulder and chest muscles between punches and combos along with breathing. If your all tensed up the whole time, your wasting energy and difficult to control the breathing. Also I think a relaxed muscle will allow quicker, accurate punch with more snap.
        Thanks. That's one thing that I'm doing ok at. I'm sure in sparring I'm not as relaxed as I should be but I do focus on that when doing my other work and hopefully I slowly improve when in the ring.

Comment

Thanks. That's one thing that I'm doing ok at. I'm sure in sparring I'm not as relaxed as I should be but I do focus on that when doing my other work and hopefully I slowly improve when in the ring.
          its hard for me to stay relaxed when sparring too

Comment

Especially when the opponent has bad BO

Comment

That comes with practice a bit as well. I'm generally a pretty high-strung individual, and hold a lot of my anxiety in my neck/jaw/shoulders. At first sparring I was so tight, but have gotten pretty loose and comfortable in there over the past 6 months.

Try to be conscious of it. I always try to remember 1. Focus, 2. Breathe, 3. Relax when I get into sparring. Also, when practicing mitts or heavy bag make sure your hands are loose (not tightly gripped), and make sure that you loosen them inbetween punches. Has definitely helped me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                That comes with practice a bit as well. I'm generally a pretty high-strung individual, and hold a lot of my anxiety in my neck/jaw/shoulders. At first sparring I was so tight, but have gotten pretty loose and comfortable in there over the past 6 months.

Try to be conscious of it. I always try to remember 1. Focus, 2. Breathe, 3. Relax when I get into sparring. Also, when practicing mitts or heavy bag make sure your hands are loose (not tightly gripped), and make sure that you loosen them inbetween punches. Has definitely helped me personally.

Yes, just made a connection...I play bluegrass guitar and the fast stuff requires the same type of relaxation and breathing to play smoothly with conviction. Kinda like a tension and release, if you will. If you tense up rigid any part of your upper body, it’s over

Comment

Yes, just made a connection...I play bluegrass guitar and the fast stuff requires the same type of relaxation and breathing to play smoothly with conviction. Kinda like a tension and release, if you will. If you tense up rigid any part of your upper body, it’s over
                  I'm working my way through some flatpicking now.

Comment

I'm working my way through some flatpicking now.
                    Nice to meet another flat picking boxer. Never would have thought it would happen. I worry a bit about my hands getting beat up from boxing and not being able to play. Then a I went nearly sliced the tip of my finger off cutting an onion last week and almost had to cancel a gig.

Comment

Nice to meet another flat picking boxer. Never would have thought it would happen. I worry a bit about my hands getting beat up from boxing and not being able to play. Then a I went nearly sliced the tip of my finger off cutting an onion last week and almost had to cancel a gig.
                      I do some "gigs" but it's a bit different, and I'm selective. I've not a very good guitar player, and because of paying more attention to my coaching I've only been able to spend limited time practicing. My brother and I (both Kentucky boys) got our guitars out at a cookout at my sister's cookout and we got to playing, telling terrible stories, etc. and afterward one of her friends asked if we would come and play at this BBQ party she was throwing in about a month. What? What she wanted was for us to sit around a pick and tell stories. We agreed and went and did it. I just sent my last off to college and his kids are just getting busier so we have only done that six times, but if we wanted to entertain ourselves and make money (not worth it, really) we could do that.

Having said that, since I just sent my last off to college I'm trying to become a better player than my sporadic time has allowed.

Comment

Working...
                      X