No announcement yet.

Is the Age of the Freak Match Here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Age of the Freak Match Here?

People are tired of what boxing has descended to, and are more ready than ever to try some new formats. Even the perpetual interest drummed up by Wilt vs Ali threads demonstrates the change that has come over traditional fans.

Ad hoc arrangements for matches with special formats and rules will become common in the near future, I predict. People are ready for some excitement and tired of being played by octogenarian promoters. When fans get this restless there is always room for new blood to enter the scene.

They will play you and make you wait three or four years to see the only two or three fights out there that are actually worth seeing. Screw them. Somebody can now create something else while the multi millionaire octogenarian promoters are figuring out their next grab.

- -Leffy, when is you goin' full octo?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      People are tired of what boxing has descended to, and are more ready than ever to try some new formats. Even the perpetual interest drummed up by Wilt vs Ali threads demonstrates the change that has come over traditional fans.

Ad hoc arrangements for matches with special formats and rules will become common in the near future, I predict. People are ready for some excitement and tired of being played by octogenarian promoters. When fans get this restless there is always room for new blood to enter the scene.

They will play you and make you wait three or four years to see the only two or three fights out there that are actually worth seeing. Screw them. Somebody can now create something else while the multi millionaire octogenarian promoters are figuring out their next grab.
      Lefty you are a student of history? When skills decline and decadence increases, people forsake the noble arts and look for bread and circuses. Really isn't that what the circus is? Tawdry acts put together from the Roman vision by a man who most famously declared "a sucker born every minute."

In Rome, when people could no longer get a raise in their systolic, and admire the pluck and skill of one man fighting another to the death...It became a lion against two men with swords, etc etc. Nobody had the strength to ask "Isn't that barbaric? why can't we protect our fighting heroes so they can live to fight another day?" Well...there was some of that also, but as Roman society went more and more blood thirsty, the spectacles became more and more barbaric.

In our own version of "bread and circuses" we have the effeminate generation and instead of outwardly violent fight sports, which we also have, we get these curio matches for the suckers... People who would pay to watch Floyd run around the ring against McGregor, etc. Its all the same garbage.

Comment

Bring the freak matches on. I am sick of boxing's pap. I can think of a lot of matches that are better than what we will actually get to see.

If Pacman wants another crack at MW, offer to fight him no holds barred in an octagon. MW will see advantage again and bite. As long as he does not have to risk his boxing records, he will fight.

However, I really do not want to see a Cossack face slapping contest between the two. I would rather see them Sumo rassle than that.

Comment

One excellent arrangement, lads, would be a boxing match where trips & throws are allowed, but no kicking by permit. No joint locks. Punches to the nates, our most massive muscles, would be legal, however, as would ham shots. Only the outside of the legs can be targeted, by God.

Comment

Two top featherweights against a heavyweight is still crying to be made, lads.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Two top featherweights against a heavyweight is still crying to be made, lads.
              We had that with Wilder vs. Zelenoff

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                We had that with Wilder vs. Zelenoff
                Yeah and MMA already did that in the Pride promotion and KSW still does freak matches today. And if guys keep getting bigger, we'll definitely see more of them in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Yeah and MMA already did that in the Pride promotion and KSW still does freak matches today. And if guys keep getting bigger, we'll definitely see more of them in boxing.
                  What are you talking about, Tony? By sneezy, I don't know of any boxers facing two men at once. I would watch that.

Comment

Freak matches are not going away, folks. In fact, freak matches are just starting to roll. The recent freak matches have broken all records for a freak match and an exhibition. Mayweather has a seer in his camp, that much must be conceded. Others are pointing the way with the back of their necks, but I have to admit lil' Floyd is turned the right way to make money. In this instance, miraculously, lil' Floyd has indeed shown you the future. Dig it. Bring those freak matches on.

Which modern ones would you truly like to see, if your wish was the world's command?

Comment

Working...
                    X