No announcement yet.

If Roy Jones retired in 2003.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    did he lose all those things when he lost?
    Roy and Joe ducked Ottke, they didn't want that German slickness.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxnation fan View Post
      Obviously you're talking about Tarver.

He ruined his body though going from the 193lbs of muscle back down to making 175lbs...he was never the same fighter after doing that.
      Good point. But he was also slowing down well before then. Plus, he took a lot of punches in that first fight with Tarver. Heavy shots to the head and body, at age 34. I thought that took something out of him.

Comment

i dont know but he would have saved himself a whooping from joe calzaghe

Comment

Best P4P in my boxing life time, about 1988 to present day.

Comment

Jones is just another legendary fighter who took a lot of unnecessary losses and punishment towards the end of his career.

How he performed past his prime shouldn't hurt his legacy. I don't care what anyone says. I'd rank him the same now and if he retired in 03.

Comment

people overplay that argument. calzaghe and ward are not rated above him despite being undefeated. getting ktfo multiple times does matter but so many fighters had past prime bad losses and once the dust settles his will be compared to theirs

it seems to hurt him more in fantasy fights than historical ranking as some people pick any good puncher to beat him because of his chin

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                did he lose all those things when he lost?

according to some

Comment

As Roy Jones #1 hater in his day, Roy Jones is top 10 p4p all time.

I have a hard time thinking of anybody that could’ve beat a prime Roy Jones at 160 or 168, his best weights IMO

I’d pick Jones to beat Haggler, Hearns, Leonard, Monzón etc.

175 and up is tougher. I can see him struggle with the all timers moving up in weight, but Roy’s greatness should not be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                    Roy and Joe ducked Ottke, they didn't want that German slickness.
                    yes they did but you can't compare anyone to ottke

Comment

Maybe in terms of resume he would get more love but I still consider him the greatest fighter to ever exist and top 20 P4P.

Comment

Working...
                      X