No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Declined DAZN's $100M Deal Because of Dishonesty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jondacon View Post
    I dont need THEM to say it outright. I have reading comprehension..lol. I was simply referring to the fact they claimed the deal wasnt that good and DAZN flubbed negotiations the first time, which they're admitting they did, in not building the proper relationships before hand and essentially thinking all they needed to do was offer big money.

Kudos to DAZN, not many companies will admit their mistakes, especially in boxing, and attempt to rectify the situation later. Says alot about the character of the guys running the show at DAZN.. most people dont have that kind of self awareness.

What happened behind the scenes was that Wilder wanted to know what AJ would get(to gauge the split amount) but DAZN refused to say, I think Wilder took that as a sign of favoritism and changed his mind about the deal.
    THIS sounds about right. Thanks for bringing some logic and reason to the conversation.

I honestly think it boiled down to Wilder not knowing how much AJ would get and feeling like they were purposely withholding that info out of favoritism or deceit.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
      What split? There is no split. DAZN offered Wilder a set amount to take some fights. There is no split. They offer Wilder what they want and they offer Joshua what they want. There is no pot to split.
      FAIL.....Please tell me you're joking, right? You do understand how the finances of boxing entertainment work, right?

Comment

• Greediest mthrfkr I've seen in boxing.
        His highest purse was $2 mil before being associated with AJ.
        It's not enough he's offered shots at 3 titles, plus tens and tens of times he's worth.
        He has to know what AJ was making.
        Never seen anything like it.

That's why I wanted AJ to lose even in the Povetkin fight.
        My wish came true when he got clipped by Ruiz.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
          what nonsense

the " pot "... is the net revenue generated by the event in question

a certain fanbase used to scoff at flat-fee offers

not one of them I hope... ?
          Yeah, some people here never went to school. I don't understand why people don't seem to understand that fighters ALWAYS want to know what the other fighter is getting as it will dictate negotiations. The anticipated net revenue generated from a fight will determine most of this - and it's also why boxers CHOOSE NOT to fight certain guys.

Undefeated matchups are better than not-undefeated matchups. Unification matches, on average, generate more rev than non-unification matches.

The way one capitalizes is by drawing in casual fans. Casual fans only pay for PPV for "huge" seminal fights. Wilder v Fury part 2 will be a cash cow. Wilder v Joshua the biggest cash cow of all.

These guys are talking like their negotiating their salary at starbucks lol.

Comment

LOL if you say so. There needed to be a percentage split of a pot, DAZN were not dealing in any of that. Set fee and they offered to massively overpay wilder to get his signature but he ran off.

If dazn did the deal on how much revenue the fight would of made wilder and joshua would of been offered alot less money.

You think DAZN felt wilder breazeale would of pulled in so much money it was good to offer 20 million? No they were offering to over pay.
            Thats not how it works. These companies all have (or should have) actuaries that are doing the calculations on net profit and potential net loss.

100 million for 3 fights wasn't completely arbitrary, right? Otherwise, why not offer, 150 million, or 70 million?

ANY figures offered will be within a certain % spread of anticipated gate/net revenue.

These businessmen are not in the business of losing money in the boxing business.

Comment

• Originally posted by genrick View Post
              That's why fight would never have happened with
              Joshua imposing his A-side status with this kind of B-side.
              The B-side that was protected like a baby that won't be
              rushed to fight Kiitschko.
              Wilder and Winkel wanted to know how much AJ will be making.
              It's not enough that he gets tens and tens of times he typically makes.
              Which means Wilder had no clue how much he's worth.
              It always has to be in relation to AJ's.
              It's like getting hired and can't come up with any figure
              you should be getting for the job.
              You have to know how much the other guy is making.
              Another dumb take. (With all due respect).

Do you have any clue how CEO's negotiate salary with whatever board they are on?

1. It's typically tied to stock so that the incentives for shareholders and CEO performance align in the same direction (i.e. he gets paid in stock options so he has a reason to make sure the share value stays high). Unfortunately this leads to adverse things like stock buybacks etc.

2. They model their salary/stock compensation after OTHER CEOS of similar scale - typically within that industry.

Similarly, if I were to negotiate with my own boss, KNOWING how much my co-worker, whose job position I'm attempting to get, is making, would be VERY useful in determining what salary offer I will propose.

Cmon now, knowing what AJ was making isn't just smart, it's almost necessary. It's why Money Mayweather BOUGHT OUT his contract with Bob Arum - he basically realized he was leaving 20 million (minimum) on the table per fight . He couldn't have bought out his contract without knowledge of anticipate net rev. Sorry. Mayweather has lawyers, so does Wilder, when millions of dollars are on the table you better believe Wilder isn't make flippant decisions.

I do agree thought the longer he waits on AJ the more he potentially loses in future earning power for that given fight. AJ v Wilder (both undefeated) looks a lot better than one with a loss.

Personally? If he keeps winning, none of this will matter. Fans will line up to see him fight OR to see him lose. If he's smart, he'll embrace villany. Its profitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by BangEM View Post
                Screwed up where? Skipper was just being professional by keeping the options open for the future.

This guy has turned down every offer, despite not sending any offers - apart from the fictitious $50million email offer with 48hrs ultimatum. Who offers $50million without a legit legally binding contract in print for that type of money? I wouldn't even agree to a £100 contract without a legally binding paper I can read and see what I'm signing for.

AJ has found a new dance partner in Ruiz and in two fights against him - he would make over $120million for both fights combined. Over $30million for the first fight and the rematch should top $90million once all the revenue streams have been added. In so doing - he would become a bigger star once the script for the rematch is acted out.

I don't know about the US - but everyone in the UK is waiting for Dec. 7. And the fight starts at 10pm out here (1am in Saudi Arabia). It's basically like fighting in the UK and the whole country would stand still for the fight, thus making it the most watched boxing event in British history. I'd be shocked if the PPV numbers aren't between 2.5-3million buys.

Wilder on the other hand would be struggling to sell 300k PPV buys for his rematch with Ortiz (I won't be shocked if he doesn't do more than 100k buys tbh, despite all the promo).

It's prize fighting and he needs AJ to make the type of money he dreams about. And when he was offered a life changing offer - he should've taken it. However, right now, regardless of what he does in his career - I don't see AJ fighting him again, unless he begs and crawls to UK to take a flat fee. AJ has made his money and he can ride into the sunset without looking back - win or lose. He probably just needs to beat Fury like a thief, if the ***** and his caraven bandits can stop fighting uber drivers and take a real fight in the UK. AJ beats Ruiz and then smash the one eye that's left on Fury's face after Wallin destroyed the other one - and he's cemented his place in the hall of fame. Wilder can continue his circus with PBC belt and fighting bums, while avoiding Whyte, his WBC mandatory.
                You made a lot of excellent points here. AJ really has all the leverage, but there's no guarantee AJ wins. There's also no guarantee Wilder keeps winning. I personally would have pushed for 120 million for 3 fights (40 mill per fight), I think they could have done it.

Wilder really is betting on himself, it'll work but he can't lose.

Comment

Terrible offer??? Lolololol. Ofcourse we all know wilder and his team had no intentions of taking Joshua's fantastic offers no matter how good the money.
                  Go look at Mayweather's Gross income numbers (per fight the past 10 years).

120 Million for 2 fights is exactly where Wilder should be negotiating. Money Mayweather didn't make all that money by being stuck in bad contracts.

AJ losing is the big card here. IF he loses in the rematch AJ would've effectively have lost, by my estimation, 50 million dollars in potential future earnings due to the loss of anticipated interest in a future Wilder fight.

Comment

• Wilder, "I make way more money than what they’re offering anyway." You sure about that, Sport?

Comment

• No winning for Wilder with his haters.

If he would had taken the contract and nobody here really knows the stipulations they would had said that he sold out for the money.

He didn't take it and now they say he is a moron. He does have a management that looks after these things and he decided what was best for him.

In the end who cares. I not seeing a cent of what he is making. Maybe if his deal is so bad he really has to take the low end of a big fight so it can happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X