No announcement yet.

VIDEO: Sparring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    Here is a video of some constructive sparring with one of my stable mates; Luke.

Luke is 5'8" 165lb. I am in the gray shorts with the white Jordans.

you don't look bad but you're definetely not a fast handed counter-puncher like you said you were. Your speed looks average, and your timing and hand speed doesen't look good enough to lay any serious hurt on someone. Now obviously that one video doesen't really mean **** because it's just one vid but honestly man don't practice half assed punches ever even against a weak boxer like that guy in the vid. If you don't want to hurt the guy just limit the amount of punches you throw and don't step into/turn into your shots. Try and throw em fast but just dont punch through the guy's head. The guy has to learn somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
      you don't look bad but you're definetely not a fast handed counter-puncher like you said you were. Your speed looks average, and your timing and hand speed doesen't look good enough to lay any serious hurt on someone. Now obviously that one video doesen't really mean **** because it's just one vid but honestly man don't practice half assed punches ever even against a weak boxer like that guy in the vid. If you don't want to hurt the guy just limit the amount of punches you throw and don't step into/turn into your shots. Try and throw em fast but just dont punch through the guy's head. The guy has to learn somehow.
      I have NEVER claimed to have blazing fast hands. Never. I don't. I have quick reflexes and good timing, not amazingly fast hands.

Luke is also not a weak boxer. Not only is he physically very strong, he is accurate, is in excellent condition, and normally throws around 80-100 punches a round. He hits hard, has fast hands, moves his head well, has great combinations, and is an all around athletic guy.

If you want to criticize me, fine, but don't talk **** about Luke.

Comment

Whats with all the hate? Im pretty sure most of you guys are jealous that someone is out there training to compete why you sit on your ass and criticize peoples videos.

I see nothing wrong with that video, you can only dance as well as your partner.

Sure the sparring is soft but thats what the other guy needs at this point in time. Shawn also seems to be using the left hand down technique surprisingly well at this point.

Being a person who thinks that style is ridiculous for Amateur boxers I would like to see how he goes hard sparring.

Well done for trying to help people Shawn, im fighting on July 5 for the first time and i reckon im about as good as you, similar style apart from the philly shell. How many fights have you had mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstranger View Post
          Here's the problem I find with you !!Shawn. You talk the talk! But none of your videos have ever backed up your claims of how good you say you are. So far you've posted vids when you've got an injured left hand and a sparring video that doesn't show a damn thing about your own skills you glorify so much. Fair enough you said you were helping the other guy but I think people would've prefered to see an intense sparring session showing us all the skills you've been talking about.

You tell everyone about your skills but I'm sorry, yours vids haven't shown me that your anything special as yet. Remember when some us are watching your vids we're not comparing you to other vids in the forum, or on youtube or people shadowboxing in a wardrobe! We're comparing you to actual fighters we train with day in/day out at our own respective gyms and clubs.

You've got a fair amount of criticism over your vids, some fair comment, some a little harsh but the best way to shut people up would've been to post a good quality intense sparring session.

Just my 2 cents!

good post dude...

I have a question to the members of this site, how come when ever someone post a video with they left down the first thing out ya mouth "ur not roy jones but that left up" gotttt damnnnn yo... do yall even watch boxing?????? like forreal.... like he is the only one with a low left... its pathetic.....

Comment

Fair comment !!shawn.

Is their a reason why you prefer not to show your intense sparring? Like I can definately understand if people don't wanna show their fight vids.

I noticed something in your footwork, I don't know if it's because you're going at a slow pace, but whenever you moved backwards your feet came close together giving the potential to be knocked off balance. It's also evident in your speed bag vid also.
            Last edited by Darkstranger; 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by verbz View Post
              seriously is this how people spar? at my gym we spar alot harder than that. we go to war. we see it as the harder u work in the gym the easier it will be in da ring. im confused if this is what other clubs r doin?
              what he said!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstranger View Post
                Fair comment !!shawn.

Is their a reason why you prefer not to show your intense sparring? Like I can definately understand if people don't wanna show their fight vids.

I noticed something in your footwork, I don't know if it's because you're going at a slow pace, but whenever you moved backwards your feet came close together giving the potential to be knocked off balance. It's also evident in your speed bag vid also.
                It is the internet age, recording your hard sparring and posting it on the internet is no different if not worse than inviting your opponent in to the gym to watch you train. At least if you invite them into the gym to watch, they can't watch it over and over.

Call me paranoid, but I have personally used internet videos to beat people, so I have no intention of giving anyone the opportunity to do that against me.

About the footwork, that is a fair observation. It is a bad habit, its mainly because of the size of the ring apron. I use to step back like you are suppose too, but I stepped out through the ropes and twisted my ankle so I decided it is better to just take the chance of being knocked off balance and bouncing off the ropes instead of twisting my ankle again stepping through the ropes.

I try to do it right in the bigger rings, but obviously, I do **** up every once in a while. I have good legs, and good mobility, so I have always managed to recover from any of those off balance situations.

Comment

It's not a good spar at all, no matter what you are going. Light, 1/2...and especially not full. This exemplifies exactly what is wrong with so many of the internet youtubing warriors. You post this dribble, then you spend the next 20 posts arguing other's comments. You watch yourself over and over, and instead of looking for ways to improve, you look at the few things you do right, and go.."Did you see that! Weren't it awesome!" lol

I could give some good contructive critism, but what's the point, really. Waste of both mine and your time. I only signed up here for a laugh. I only really stop by here for a laugh and usually at the expense of some of you vid dorks. I'm sure there are some good boxers in here, but most of you posting these are just horrible, yet somehow, seemingly, marvelously oblivious to it.

Get your ass off youtube and spend more time at the gym. Or accept that you do in fact kinda suck, and please quit trying to convince others otherwise. We know what's what.

(that last bit actually was advice, my apologies)

Comment

like you said it's far from intense sparring so iwasnt going to watch ten minutes of it..

i only watched the first couple of minutes so i dont really have much to say.. just be careful with your footwork like someone else said.. it looked like you were grapevining when you circled left.. not a habit you want. you did look nice and relaxed in there. good onya for posting the vid

Comment

lol and this guy has the nerv to critisize my sparring lmao.

Comment

Working...
                      X