Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excessive holding, please clarify what constitutes a foul?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinching isn't 1 thing.
    Sometimes it's being too close to work so you make sure he's not hitting you while you wait for the ref to create space.
    Other time, it's because the opponent has trapped an arm or something to that extent and you need to keep him form hitting you.
    You might be stalling the action because you're hurt.
    Or, you just got in a shot and want to nullify his response (Hopkins, Wlad).
    Sometimes you are working inside, tying the opponent up in a grappling sort of way and struggling with him to see who can create and opening and get shots in (Andre Ward style).

So, obviously, it's a complex subject and that's why it's left up to the ref to decide when it's sporting and when it's a foul.
    Personally, I think that using it repeatedly to stifle the action should be a punishable foul. Simply defending yourself from cheapshots and headbuts, or using an offensive clinch is fair game.

Comment

Watch Floyd vs Pacquaio and Madaina that is excessive holding without being called out on a foul

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
        Clinching and fighting within the clinch have been part of this sport since it was first realised. Before the Queensbury rules were introduced, wrestling your opponent was very much as important as punching them.
        I believe that clinching is a great part of the game and boxers should learn to fight within the clinch. However, most referees are useless and as soon as fighters commence a clinch, they break them up, making the fight seem very stop/start.
        I think that excessive clinching should be if the fighter clinches, but never has any intention of fighting within the clinch... and are constantly just trying to take a break from the action.
        A referee should tell the boxers to fight in the clinch and to fight out of it, and if they don't make a good effort to do so, they should be deducted points.... but they never do...
        Somebody who knows what the fxck they're talking about. Clinching is a strategy. Very few fighters are clinching just for the hell of it. I hate when people complain about clinching instead of complaining about a fighter who doesn't know how to fight out of the clinch.

Comment

What happened with Postol-Matthysse was the best way to handle clinching. Postol clinched excessively for a few rounds, was warned harshly to stop, so he stopped. We saw a clean, fair fight that Postol won afterwards.

What separates some clinching from other clinching is intent. Usually when Ward clinches, it is because he is muscling his opponent to work inside. I don't have a problem with fighters that clinch as part of infighting. Compare that to Wlad, or Mayweather in the Maidana rematch, where both fighters clinch for no purpose but to stop all punching entirely. That is inexcusable and should be warned if done excessively.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            Watch Floyd vs Pacquaio and Madaina that is excessive holding without being called out on a foul
            Mayweather barely held Pacquiao. So annoying how people use the Maidana fight to pretend Mayweather did the same thing against Pac.

Comment

excessive clinching to me goes along with other non boxing fouls meant to get an advantage. If some uses a forearm to make space excessively its a foul after warnings, pushes a fighter off excessively to get space its a foul after warnings, clinches excessively, measures/ stiff arms, there are several non scoring moves that can be used to gain advantages it depends on the flow of the fight as well as refs

Comment

I don't have a problem with a bit of rough inside fighting that might include some wrestling or holding so long as both fighters are working to land punches. That sort of fighting can actually be quite enjoyable to watch, and a nice counterpoint to more clinical outside boxing.

When a fighter clinches like Wlad Klitschko it should automatically be penalised.
                Last edited by Fury4daWIN; 07-23-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

It would make a huge significant difference if only the ref enforces the rules. Most of these excessive huggers lack skills on the inside.

Comment

If they work in the clinch I am fine with it. What Wlad does is just too negative. Especially against shorter opponents when he clinches and leans on. Seems a bit cheap.

Comment

1) Clinching shouldnt be allowed when you use it after your offense to prevent your opponent to retaliate. For example: Jab, Jab, Straight, clinch. Jab, Jab, clinch. (Hopkins and Klitschko are using this "technique" sometimes).

2) Clinching also shouldnt be allowed when you time your opponents combination to get in a clinch to shut down his offense. Better should foot movement or engage with him and use side to side movement. (Floyd, Postol and Ward)

3) Clinching should be allowed when you are hurt to hold on for dear life.

4) Clinching should also be allowed when you have an excessive crude fighter like porter trying to bumrush you headon. What else can you do? lol

Comment

Working...
                      X