No announcement yet.

How to train right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Well, there you go. Different people are going to react differently to training.

My thighs tend to bulk up pretty easily so I'm careful not to overdo leg training beyond what is necessary.
    Yeah I guess Ill just have to try some different methods and see how it works for me. I squat heavy (relative to me) and I dont really feel slow. But im probably going to start doing more cardio based body weight workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      My approach was when I was at the boxing club was about the skill and craft. Improving and honing that.

When I was outside the gym. That's when I did my miles, my strength training.

Did my cardio and strength training in the morning, walked to the boxing club in the evening, warmed up with skipping for six rounds (till my knee got tendonitis, then I stopped skipping totally), shadow boxed (mirror whatever) for 6 rounds; 3 rounds both stances. Then did the mitts, heavy bag, double end, mexican double end after that.

Mitts was the only inconsistent thing because it depended on who I was working with. Some people were short on time, other times they had their own work to do etc.

But heavy bag, double end, mx double end, even the uppercut bag. I did that for about 3 rounds each both stances.

I didn't throw a single punch in the gym until about 6 rounds of skipping and 2 rounds of footwork drilling were complete. That's 24 minutes in the gym without a single punch thrown.

I was specific with my approach. Heavy bag, I was putting 300 punches on the bag each round. Double end bag? I would stand as close as my full reach would let me, so that if I didn't sway, I'd get hit in the face by it. But the last round was always burn out, high reps, and turning out the punches.

MX Double end bag, I messed around on, I admit. I just tried to stay active for rounds with that, working on fundamentals of technique. Circling. Jabs, up and down. Basic combinations. Cause that's all it can really take.

Uppercut bag, was just drilling for rounds. That was just going hard with uppercuts. I'd do hooks on that as well but it was more about technique and timing as the bag rotated.

Everything was about 3 rounds both stances minus sparring and mitts. I didn't spar both stances or hit the mitts both stances but everything else, I trained both sides.

But that was my approach. I used to mimic Nonito's or Marquez's "reported" training sessions but it was impractical for me after a certain point.

I adjusted it, to fit me. Cause I wasn't doing cardio at the boxing club, I felt it was a waste of my time to do sit ups there, or run around the block after getting there, when I can do that at home.

I don't do none of that **** no more though. I chose the military instead of a boxing license. Met a Maj. who had connections to the army boxing team but didn't take that opportunity. Should have– but I was a dumb kid content with where I was and squandered the chance.
      I have been doing a lot more technique work now that im back at an actual gym. I tried doing my lifting sessions early and leaving the cardio for the gym and weekends but i think i need more upper body endurance work. In addition to the great cardio i get in the 2 hour gym session ill probably cut back on lifting and focus more on endurance.

Comment

So this is off the original topic but its still training related. I have terrible shin splints right now. Im used to running and jumping rope but something different must have happened Because i have been in pain for weeks. I take ibuprofen and i can easily get through a gym session but if i forget Im hurting. Has anyone ever experienced this? And how did you relieve it for good? I just got back to boxing in a gym and if at all Possible i dont want to have to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Garciaja View Post
          I have been doing a lot more technique work now that im back at an actual gym. I tried doing my lifting sessions early and leaving the cardio for the gym and weekends but i think i need more upper body endurance work. In addition to the great cardio i get in the 2 hour gym session ill probably cut back on lifting and focus more on endurance.
          I would say try and focus on endurance for boxing specifics.

The gym I was at, I was always advised to punch above my shoulder level for shadow boxing and the heavy bag. That way my shoulders would build endurance for fighting taller guys.

That’s just one example but try to find stuff like that– to build endurance cause sit ups and push ups only go so far for boxing specifically.

It’s necessary don’t get me wrong but you’re going to want your shoulders and feet to not feel like they are burning away when you box in real moments lol.

Comment

So this is off the original topic but its still training related. I have terrible shin splints right now. Im used to running and jumping rope but something different must have happened Because i have been in pain for weeks. I take ibuprofen and i can easily get through a gym session but if i forget Im hurting. Has anyone ever experienced this? And how did you relieve it for good? I just got back to boxing in a gym and if at all Possible i dont want to have to stop.
            You know your body better then anyone. If you feel something is out of the norm then take a week or even a few weeks off for it to heal. Trust me it sucks but it is what you have to do. I had to take almost 2 months off back in 2014 because I injured the bottom of my foot.

As for your original comment about strength and working out to compliment you boxing I would suggest this. Get some sparring if you are able to. See what style you gravitate towards. Not to sound mean or discourage you but you may end up being a weak puncher, slow footed, or just have no hand speed. But you need to find out where you are lacking to figure out how to tailor you body and training.

If you find you need actual fight endurance and speed then you are going to have to have to do some heart racing exercises to remove that mental block of fatigue and get your body able to handle high intensity exchanges where there is no rest.

Me personally, I am a short stocky boxer with good handspeed, good power and a heavy stance. I can box from the outside and outbox decent competition but by no means is it my preferred style. Because I am short for my weight and I just don't have much versatility from range because of the distance I have to cover. It would be a waste of time for me to put most of my effort into practicing long range. The way you win fights is by getting your opponent to fight your fight.

Comment

Whats up everyone? Im new here and i was hoping to get some advice. Im 25 and i started boxing like 2 years ago. I would like to eventually compete in amateur and want to start training more like a boxer. Im athletically built but I have spent most of my life lifting. Im not huge, 5 9 and 158lbs. But im used to lifting heavy and have meaty arms. Id like to tone them more to increase speed and stamina when i spar or hit pads. What kind of strength training can i do for this? I already gave up heavy lifting but im not sure what to supplement with? Body weight stuff? Low weight high reps? Thanks in advance.
              Low Rep (2-6 Reps) of Heavy Weights 90% of your 1RM will build strength. (my Recommendation)

High Reps (10-16 Reps) of Moderate Weights 75% of your 1RM will Build Size and Cuts. (this is mainly for looks)

For boxing I recommend you to focus on the EXPLOSIVENESS meaning every rep try to move the weight as fast as you possibly can while keeping control of it. Go from 0-100 as fast as you can, it may look like the weight is moving slow but its what happening internally with your muscle fibers we care about so EXPLODE every rep.

Reason I advise for Low Reps is because you will not necessary noticeably gain mass and can keep your weight down and gain strength but with high reps you will be putting on mass/weight because your muscle fibers will grow alot easier this way and you can put on easily .5lb of muscle weight a month, might not sound like alot but in 1 year you will be 10lbs heavier and this weight you cant cut with just a water cut etc. (and this is a very conservative estimate; with a solid workout regiments and hitting you macros i.e. minimum protein intake you can see 1,2lbs of muscles mass in a month). So for boxing its obvious you will want to stay away from that since your 5'9" and already 158lbs, I would focus on DIET, Low Reps, and bringing my body fat % down to 15%. Meaty arms just means you got fat wrapped around your muscle, cut the fat out with proper diet and you will lose easily 10-15 maybe 20lbs and you will show ripped you will be and now you can be at 140lbs @ 5'9" and solid.

shin splints are normal some people pain tolerance is lower/higher than others, I would advice to switch to more low impact variation of your workload. You got to remember almost everyone is hurting a tad when they are dedicated to working out but you never stop you just find alternatives to the end goal. Sometimes when I dont stay in tight with my heavy bench press I can inflame my shoulder joint and will be killing me for at least a month but I dont stop my chest workouts I just switch up the routine to prevent re-injury.
              Last edited by TheBoxGod; 10-27-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
                Low Rep (2-6 Reps) of Heavy Weights 90% of your 1RM will build strength. (my Recommendation)

High Reps (10-16 Reps) of Moderate Weights 75% of your 1RM will Build Size and Cuts. (this is mainly for looks)

For boxing I recommend you to focus on the EXPLOSIVENESS meaning every rep try to move the weight as fast as you possibly can while keeping control of it. Go from 0-100 as fast as you can, it may look like the weight is moving slow but its what happening internally with your muscle fibers we care about so EXPLODE every rep.

Reason I advise for Low Reps is because you will not necessary noticeably gain mass and can keep your weight down and gain strength but with high reps you will be putting on mass/weight because your muscle fibers will grow alot easier this way and you can put on easily .5lb of muscle weight a month, might not sound like alot but in 1 year you will be 10lbs heavier and this weight you cant cut with just a water cut etc. (and this is a very conservative estimate; with a solid workout regiments and hitting you macros i.e. minimum protein intake you can see 1,2lbs of muscles mass in a month). So for boxing its obvious you will want to stay away from that since your 5'9" and already 158lbs, I would focus on DIET, Low Reps, and bringing my body fat % down to 15%. Meaty arms just means you got fat wrapped around your muscle, cut the fat out with proper diet and you will lose easily 10-15 maybe 20lbs and you will show ripped you will be and now you can be at 140lbs @ 5'9" and solid.

shin splints are normal some people pain tolerance is lower/higher than others, I would advice to switch to more low impact variation of your workload. You got to remember almost everyone is hurting a tad when they are dedicated to working out but you never stop you just find alternatives to the end goal. Sometimes when I dont stay in tight with my heavy bench press I can inflame my shoulder joint and will be killing me for at least a month but I dont stop my chest workouts I just switch up the routine to prevent re-injury.
                Some good stuff here, very good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post

Me personally, I am a short stocky boxer with good handspeed, good power and a heavy stance. I can box from the outside and outbox decent competition but by no means is it my preferred style. Because I am short for my weight and I just don't have much versatility from range because of the distance I have to cover. It would be a waste of time for me to put most of my effort into practicing long range. The way you win fights is by getting your opponent to fight your fight.
                  what weight division?

Comment

Originally posted by kara View Post
                    what weight division?
                    I started at bantamweight Freshman year and ended up going as high as Welterweight (too much height difference, did not last long) towards the end of high school as I got tired of having to diet and my body kept wanting to gain weight. Height is a little under 5'5" but my optimal weight settled at light welter while still having to watch my weight.

Should have also probably clarified that I am no longer competing. I was in the amateurs for about 12 years up until second year in college.

Never made the decision to try out the pros since I felt college was going to be more beneficial and I was getting burnt out (especially with no guarantee I would even be making money from it).

I did get the chance to spar with some well known names as a teenager which was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post
                      Never made the decision to try out the pros since I felt college was going to be more beneficial and I was getting burnt out (especially with no guarantee I would even be making money from it).
                      I told a kid that as I was walking, through the crowd, back to the dressing room after I fought at the Palace of Auburn Hills. They approached me as I was leaving the ring, mom was kinda hot! I told her little man that I would give him an autohraph and that I had to shower up but after I do that I will come out and sign a picture for her little man.

I did that and while I was writing it out the kid, he said that he 'wanted to do that too'. I shook my head, no you don't. Stay in school kid. I wrote the same thing on the picture and then signed my name...........Rockin'
                      Last edited by Rockin'; 11-06-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X