No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez

A legend and the man that inspired myself too start boxing myself retired today. He is someone that every aspiring boxer should look upto, left his all in the ring everytime and his knowledge in the ring, heart and generalship are unreal, it'll be bought up everytime he is mentioned and sure there's controversy around his 4th fight with Pacquaio and too be honest it's the fight that made me question wether I still wanted to follow and participate in boxing as a sport due to the evolution of Performance Enhancing Drugs, wether true or false on wether Memo supplied them to him in the training camps leading upto their fight, that knockout is a moment in boxing which will be engraved into my mind forever.

I remember watching it live on stream on my own and as soon as the punch landed I got goosebumps, never had a feeling quite like it before or since.

Where does Marquez rank and what are your favourite fights / highlights of his career?, he is for sure in the top tier when it comes to making boxing into an art, a ****ing genius in the ring who never stepped back and always found a way to answer 1 punch with 5 of his own, just a beautiful boxer to watch and I cannot put into words how much I admire this man.

Edit: Where's my man BigStereoType at ?, should have beat me too this bro.
    Last edited by NChristo; 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM.

Brilliant, awesome fighter. Always loved his style and watching him. I've made a lot of posts about him in the NSB threads so don't want to post too much but he's always been one of my favorites. I can watch him over and over. A master.

My favorite fights of his, it's hard to put them in order...

Manny Pacquiao 1 - This was great because he got knocked down 3 times in 1 round and look at how he came back from it. Very exciting fight, the best of all 4 to me (2 and 3 were both less entertaining and a lot more controversial).

Marco Antonio Barrera - This fight was a lot closer than the scorecards indicated, in my opinion. Although I still think Marquez won, this was a good competitive fight against another great fighter who could box and punch just like he could.

Juan Diaz 1 - This was the classic Marquez fight. Diaz was actually really good around the time and his volume punching wore down most guys at 135. A very good pressure fighter against a great counter puncher and all the rounds were exciting. It was FOTY for 2009 and rightfully so. Brilliant back-and-forth.

Manny Pacquiao 4 - I don't look at the PED aspect too much because I thought they were both on it (I don't want this to turn into a debate about that, though). Both of them had big moments, the fight was action-packed and it's got to be one of the most shocking and greatest knockouts of all time, certainly of this era.

Best of luck to him in his life after boxing. He gave us a lot.
    Last edited by JK1700; 08-04-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

He could create some beautiful combinations by mixing and matching his jab, left hook, and left uppercut. Much like another great Beristain fighter Ricardo Lopez.

To add to the fights mentioned above...his bout with Michael Katsidis is an underrated classic.

Comment

Great analysis. I also ready yesterday that Wlad retired as well. Good decision IMO, seems like his time was done at the top of HW. Too bad he couldn't go out on top like his brother.

Comment

TOP-35 of all the times.

TOP-4 of Latin-American boxing in the history.

(Duran. Chávez. Sánchez. Marquez).

Great Champ.

Took a lot of risks in his career and did great goals.

Comment

The man could fight but was a definite steroid bull. That takes some of the lustre off. Anyone can look at him as a welterweight and tell.

Yeah, Klitschko retired. He had the fighting mentality of a girl. In 70 fights he never figured out that you have to hit an opponent more than he hits you to win. Rather, he figured it out (according to him) and then retired. Good riddance. Any so called champ who takes six months to retire while putting the world and another man's career on hold to play a little game, gets no sympathy or accolades from me. He pulled his Tszyu. Now get out, you selfish hog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
              TOP-4 of Latin-American boxing in the history.

(Duran. Chávez. Sánchez. Marquez).
              Do you think Marquez ranks higher than Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera?

Comment

Legend.

Unlucky to not get atleast one W from the first 3 Pacquaio fights.

The 4th fight being one of the best fights I have ever seen.

Their series will be remembered for the rest of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Do you think Marquez ranks higher than Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera?
                  Yep.

Most of the mexican press and fans ranks JMM higher than Marco and Morales.

Morales was the better fighter, more complete but he took a Lot of excesses in his career.

Comment

Marquez was the best scientific boxer out of Mexico in a long time. What Mexican was ever a better tactician, come to think of it? He was atypical of Mexican fighters, which makes him stand apart from the great brawlers that just preceded him.

Here's the thing. Everyone knows that a judge screwed up and failed to give Pacquiao credit on his card for one of the first round knockdowns. By virtue of a correct tally, Pac would have won on the cards, as it should have been. The first fight was good enough for a rematch anyway.

The commission should have officially corrected their judge's error and credited Pac with a victory. I am no great Pac fan, but right is right and wrong is wrong. It is disgusting to see commissions get it wrong so often. I do not forget or forgive these things. Someone has to do it. It is no fun for me either.

At least the recent fight with Rigondeaux was corrected after the fact of a screw up. Correct all screw ups. That is your job, and it is justice. The commissions think it makes them look better to ignore a major screw up rather than to fix it. I think I know what we think about that, lads.

Comment

Working...
                    X