No announcement yet.

Ortiz v Liddell III remains a possibility

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortiz v Liddell III remains a possibility

Dana White has created the possibility of a trilogy-completing fight between Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell, after he confirmed Ortiz will not be cut by the UFC.

The Huntington Beach Bad Boy has lost four of his last five fights, dropping a decision to Matt Hamill - a man he used to coach - in his last outing at UFC 121. Ortiz has longstanding back issues and, at 35 years of age, looks a shadow of the man who once dominated the UFC light-heavyweight division.

However, White has told the Californian he has "one last chance" to prove he is still relevant, and with Liddell yet to announce his retirement from the sport, there remains the chance that two old enemies could be allowed to wage war for a third time. Liddell stopped Ortiz in both of their previous encounters.

"I thought I was going to cut him," White was quoted as saying by MMAWeekly. "I talked to Tito. He came up to me and we had a conversation. Tito said 'I'm not done. I feel healthy and I feel good.' And he asked for one last chance, so I'm going to do it.

"I'm not the evil bastard everyone thinks I am. But it's definitely his last chance. And he knows that, too."

So White didn't actually say it would happen.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/stor...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

At this point in both there careers, I wouldn't be suprised if Tito knocked him out...

Comment

Tito should not be competing at a high level anymore.

Liddell shouldn't be competing at all anymore.

But I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this if Chuck announced that this will be his farewell fight.

Comment

I was one of those who thought Tito still had something left prior to the Hamill fight. I was about as wrong as can be, he's clearly done and there is no one decent that he could beat, there isn't even a good-but-flawed fighter who he matches up well with stylistically like some wrestlers do.

Also, considering that his fight with Hamill wasn't even one of the main 2 fights on the card, I think his box office potential is reduced enough that a third Liddell fight wouldn't even do that well on PPV. I remember when they were announced as the TUF coaches the overall reaction was one of disappointment.

According to wikipedia he's facing Lil Nog at UFC 128. Nog is not what he was but I think he'll handle Tito within a round or two.

Comment

Tito by KO... You heard it here... second, after Kaps.

Man, the combo that Tito threw at Hamill to open their last fight would have put Chuck in a coma.

Comment

If it does happen, I'm hoping that The Iceman wins, then retires for good.
            Then White will drop Tito, Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

I don't see the point, Chuck already beat Tito twice. If they both had a win over each other and there was a rubber match, then I'd see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                I don't see the point, Chuck already beat Tito twice. If they both had a win over each other and there was a rubber match, then I'd see the point.
                I think Chuck wants this fight just to prove to himself that he at least is still at a level where he beat Tito. Tito wants it to keep his UFC career alive.

Comment

I'd watch it, but wouldn't pay for it on PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesogenous View Post
                    I'd watch it, but wouldn't pay for it on PPV.
                    Me too. I'd get it on DVD or get a copy on DVD-R from someone, but won't pay for it on PPV.

Comment

Working...
                    X