No announcement yet.

Better 175 showdown?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better 175 showdown?

Roy Jones vs Dariusz Michelczewski in 1997, or Ward vs Kovalev now? Roy and Dariusz were ranked 1 and 2 at lightheavy with all the belts on the line. Ward and Kov are both highly ranked p4p? Which is or would have been the better fight as well as more significant?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Roy Jones vs Dariusz Michelczewski in 1997, or Ward vs Kovalev now? Roy and Dariusz were ranked 1 and 2 at lightheavy with all the belts on the line. Ward and Kov are both highly ranked p4p? Which is or would have been the better fight as well as more significant?
    Problem is, nobody in the U.S knew Darius. He had zero exposure outside of Germany and Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Problem is, nobody in the U.S knew Darius. He had zero exposure outside of Germany and Poland.
      He was known in boxing circles and it still would have meant total unification of the titles. Him and Roy were clearly the best at the time. Posters may very well say the same of Ward today. I wouldnt, but there are plenty that day he "hides" in Oakland or won't fight outside the US. Personally I think that means nothing. Only 2 guys get in the ring and fight no matter where it is.

Comment

Jones is better than Ward but...who wins head to head? Micalzaewski or Kovalev? Dariusz is better all around IMO but his defense wasn't that great and Kovalev can bomb.

Comment

I didn't watch boxing then like I do now so my perspective is a bit limited, but having watched a lot of Roy fights, I think Kovalev/Ward is bigger, maybe only beaten by Jones/Toney.

As far as "better" goes, I don't expect Ward/Kovalev to be a great fight actually. However, I've beyond excited because of how important it is and what it tells us about each guy. Same thing with Crawford/Postol. I might never watch it again but I was super-excited for it, enjoyed the hell out of it while it was happening, and it was a very important fight.

Comment

Krusher-Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Jones is better than Ward but...who wins head to head? Micalzaewski or Kovalev? Dariusz is better all around IMO but his defense wasn't that great and Kovalev can bomb.
              I think Jones is better than Ward as well. I also think Kov is better than DM making this a tougher fight to pick the winner. Looking back I have little doubt Jones would have handled DM pretty easily. I don't get that sense in either direction for Ward or Kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by -DSG- View Post
                Krusher-Superman.
                But Stevenson has a loss. How could it be as important as either of these fights?

Comment

The one we're waiting for is the better fight on paper. Just look at how undecided people are on the outcome, there is no clear favorite and both are at a very high level with their respective styles.

I'm not betting on the winner (yet).

Comment

Jones vs Dariuz

Ward only has one fight at the weight and Stevenson is the lineal champion and arguably has a better resume than both at the weight.

He destroyed Dawson who beat a better, fresher B-Hop
                    He destroyed Bellew who is 1-1 with Cleverly & has bounced back better
                    Throw in Cloud, Fonfara, Williams Jr

The winner needs to beat Stevenson for me. I think he is the man at 175 until proven otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X