Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Alvarez vs. Liam Smith Finalized at 154, 9/17 on PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tomjas View Post
    Dare to be great doe
    Born ready doe

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      Ok so now we are going by bogus unofficial fight night weights that we either don't know or are completely inaccurate to determine what weight class a fighter should be at? Funny I can go up and down in weight and point to dozens of fighters who rehydrate as much if not more then Canelo yet nobody says this garbage. Maidana when he fought Floyd on the same unofficial weight scales for Showtime weighed 1 single pound less then Canelo did against Floyd. So is Maidana a mother fuking Middleweight and should fight GGG too? Or is he just a welterweight who adds a lot of water weight on fight night? If you make weight I could care less what you think he weighs on fight night. He's never fought higher then 155 and never fought a 160lb fighter. And clearly he can still make 154.

First of all, we don't know he can clearly make 154. The logic is he's made 155 a lot recently, and it's only 1 pound. But the fact remains he hasn't been at 154 in a WHILE, and there is a reason for that. And that is because that extra pound is HARD for him to do. Not impossible, but HARD. He could negotiate his extra pound into things because he had the star power to do so. If that pound meant nothing to him, he wouldn't have negotiated it.

That being said, I think he will come in on weight vs. Smith. It will be HARD for him to do, but he will be motivated to try to fit your narrative.

You were the one bringing up weight as a potential reason the fight isn't happening....that Canelo is a JMW and not a MW. Why did Canelo say he would fight GGG at 160 then? What was that for? Why if he is really a JMW is he saying he is 'prepping' his body for MW? What does that even mean when your first step in preparing is to take on Liam Smith?

I think we've reached the end my friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
        Hopkins didn't leave 160 until he lost to Taylor twice.

If Canelo wants Golovkin out of 160, maybe he should try doing what Taylor did.

But then, Cotto's already shown he's not DLH or Trinidad when it comes to 160, so it's to much to ask him to be Taylor, either.
        Why would Hopkins leave when he had big fights and was willing to drop weight if he didn't to get a fight with Oscar? Trinidad moved up to 160 at age 29 his 3rd championship weight, his second at age 28. Canelo is 25 and you upset he is not cleaning out and fighting all the top fighters at 160 by age 25? And Cotto won titles in more weights then Trinidad, 160 was his 4th weight. That's like bytching that Trinidad didn't go up to 168 and fight the best at that weight. GGG has no big fights and still stays holding and grabbing vacant belts while everyone acknowledges Middleweight is garbage. Good for him, but I rather see relevant fights and GGG has options to make those better fights but has gotten terrible advice from his team to just stay at 160 and beg jr middleweights to fight him wasting years of his prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
          On a side note, in all honesty I think if Canelo could, he would fight GGG tonight..but its Golden Boy..they just want to make money..but this is getting old man..win or loose a fight againts GGG would make big money. And I think it would be a great fight. GGG has more fire power, but Canelo has a decent chin and keeps getting better.
          Yeah for sure, Canelo has balls and want to be great it's just his team know his limitations and that if he's fed to Gennady the hype trains details and goes in flames

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
            Why exactly is Golovkin still chasing Canelo? Canelo doesn't have any belts at MW and now competes in the JMW division.

I am happy that this happened to Golovkin. That's what he deserves for ducking Andre Ward like the scared coward that he is.
            You GGG detractors are getting dumber every day....

Comment

• Why is he fighting Smith? Is every top 5 SWW or MW busy right now?

Comment

• *****es out of fighting GGG, runs back to 154, and chooses the easiest fight there instead of giving lara a rematch, andrade or one of the charlos. Its obvious, canelo has become a ***** who is scared to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  you are? i'm not. if he lost 5 roudns to john thompson he probably will lose more to canelo although maybe john thompson is better and slicker than canelo.
                  It's true that Liam Smith is a basic, straight line fighter. But against Canelo, basic straight line fighting, along with fitness, determination, a good chin, and a fair amount of power, might be enough to pull off a shock result, especially if Canelo weakens himself making 154.

Canelo failed last time he tried to hit 154, and he's 2 years older and more mature now than he was back then. Yeah, this is a cherry pick by GBP, but it could back-fire on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                    no way de la hoya allows that fight
                    That's exactly why I was bringing it up lol.
                    Even if for some reason they do allow that fight, then good luck to Andrade on getting a decision against Canelo. It's going to be nearly impossible to get a decision over Canelo.

Comment

• Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                      okay well if that's your premise then okay, but who has liam smith beat?
                      Youre a promoter - who do you fight? some guy that fights every two years or a undefeated champion that will position you to win another world title and unify? ok then.

Comment

Working...
                      X