No announcement yet.

Situps vs this thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situps vs this thing

Hello everybody! I coudln't wait for my account to get validated so I can ask this question to some people that actually know some about boxing

So I'm new to the game and I just bought some equipment like an ab roller, a precision ball that you stick to your head and punch for some reason, and i got one of those ,,AB GENERATOR'' type of thing, just look it up on youtube I can't paste URL's here.

I can actually turn it into a sit-ups bench and do my sit-ups on it, but I was wondering if that ,,knee to chest'' motion would do any good for me, since they're a little more fun to do than sit-ups, but i'll do any exercise I need to get in shape and be a champ. I'll start my workouts on monday, 6 days a week, 2 times a day, I'm not a begginer but not a pro either, so I can take the work(or at least I hope so)

Long story short, sorry for talking so much I think i'm just enthusiastic about this boxing thing

Is it better for me to stick to Sit-ups or to ,,knee to chest'' motions on that thing? Thank you very much

Originally posted by Kalonee View Post
    Hello everybody! I coudln't wait for my account to get validated so I can ask this question to some people that actually know some about boxing

So I'm new to the game and I just bought some equipment like an ab roller, a precision ball that you stick to your head and punch for some reason, and i got one of those ,,AB GENERATOR'' type of thing, just look it up on youtube I can't paste URL's here.

I can actually turn it into a sit-ups bench and do my sit-ups on it, but I was wondering if that ,,knee to chest'' motion would do any good for me, since they're a little more fun to do than sit-ups, but i'll do any exercise I need to get in shape and be a champ. I'll start my workouts on monday, 6 days a week, 2 times a day, I'm not a begginer but not a pro either, so I can take the work(or at least I hope so)

Long story short, sorry for talking so much I think i'm just enthusiastic about this boxing thing

Is it better for me to stick to Sit-ups or to ,,knee to chest'' motions on that thing? Thank you very much
    Basically anything will work, so if you like that machine than do it. However, what is your intended goal here? if its to strengthen your core so you can absorb better punches than that alone won't do it. You will need to adopt a more robust core routine to develop all the core muscles to truly strength your core, if you are just trying to get "abs" that machine alone won't do it either, you will only get visible abs after your body fat % drops to a certain level which is dependent on the individual own body but that realm is usually under 15% bodyfat.

If you like the exercise than by all means do it because an exercise you like is an exercise you most likely will continue to do, With that being said always know what your goals are and have a plan to achieve it, just doing an exercise for exercise’s sake is worthless and can actually hinder your progression if you aren't careful, your body grows/gets stronger in recovery not the actual gym.

Comment

first, thank you for your time.
      second, I do have a lot of exercises to work on my core, like 250 sit-ups after every workout, some ab rolling on a specific day, an entire day for core strengthening(nothing else) plus obviously the cardio from boxing

i was just wondering if that thing would work my core or it's just a waste of time and I should do another exercises instead of it.

also is it bad I only have one roadwork day in my workouts? I don't know how to incorporate one more without making it repetitive or stealing my rest day

Comment

first, thank you for your time.
        second, I do have a lot of exercises to work on my core, like 250 sit-ups after every workout, some ab rolling on a specific day, an entire day for core strengthening(nothing else) plus obviously the cardio from boxing

i was just wondering if that thing would work my core or it's just a waste of time and I should do another exercises instead of it.

also is it bad I only have one roadwork day in my workouts? I don't know how to incorporate one more without making it repetitive or stealing my rest day
        See this is the hard part about giving advice. It really doesn't matter if it's 250 or 1000 sit-ups you are doing what matters is "How hard is it for you?" if its too easy you aren't going to get any benefits from it, if it's too hard you might be hindering your progress you want to be at aabout 80% range of difficulty per set meaning you are stopping when you reach a rep count where there is only about 2 reps left before failure. So if you reach failure at 26 reps of sit ups you want to do sets of 24 reps, with 3 minutes' breaks at least.

That machine just looks like some hanging knee raises for people who cant do hanging knee raises, will it work? thats for you to answer. Like I said before that question is a personal question, does it burn? do you feel it working? if yes than it will work. now is it better than hanging knee raises? imo NO but if you cant do hanging knee raises than that machine is great. I would recommend something like Plank slides for you to do and than compare that to that machine and see which you like more.

Roadwork is important for boxing. Rest days are per muscle and the muscle recovery takes 72 hours max for a trained individual, so you can hit each muscle at least twice a week. so You do not actually need one day where you do nothing, say you worked out your chest on Monday but Tuesday you do running, that Tuesday is a recovery day for your chest even though you're physically doing something else.

Comment

Do sit ups and do the machine you got, you're going to need to a lot more than just those for your core too.

Comment

thanks everybody, I'll just do one, and change to the other when I get bored of it

Comment

Knee to chest-legs go straight out-do scissors and then repeat. After you go knee to chest pound your fists in to your stomach while finishing the rep. Your heels are not to touch the floor. Do as many as you can straight daiiy, rest on sunday or when ever. 1 rest day per week, the same day of the week. And then do a bit more the next week. And repeat. Do both sit ups and knee to chest...... Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 12-20-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Abdominal roller is beneficial

Because it is actually forcing you into a plank position 'Which will strengthen some aspects of your core'.

Note: Good idea to do core work, at the end of a workout. Your core is responsible for stabilizing you through any movement, so me personally? I don't think it is a good idea to blast your core then, do a workout i.e I don't think people should do a core workout before a boxing session or squats etc

When you are lifting your knee's during a sit up 'You are now engaging your lower abdominal muscles more intensely' that is what the variation of that exercises targets 'In comparison to the regular sit up'.

Core exercises go far beyond sit ups 'Your core is actually always working'. When you have to consciously put effort into balancing and stabilizing yourself 'That is essentially your core working'. With this information in hand? People can and have just created their own exercises etc

Machines exercises will specifically target certain muscle groups, and make your core work less. That is the whole point of machines, to make things easier for the participant 'That is why machine exercise are very popular with body builders, they sculpting their body' that is their primary goal.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 12-28-2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                  Abdominal roller is beneficial

Because it is actually forcing you into a plank position 'Which will strengthen some aspects of your core'.

Note: Good idea to do core work, at the end of a workout. Your core is responsible for stabilizing you through any movement, so me personally? I don't think it is a good idea to blast your core then, do a workout i.e I don't think people should do a core workout before a boxing session or squats etc

When you are lifting your knee's during a sit up 'You are now engaging your lower abdominal muscles more intensely' that is what the variation of that exercises targets 'In comparison to the regular sit up'.

Core exercises go far beyond sit ups 'Your core is actually always working'. When you have to consciously put effort into balancing and stabilizing yourself 'That is essentially your core working'. With this information in hand? People can and have just created their own exercises etc

Machines exercises will specifically target certain muscle groups, and make your core work less. That is the whole point of machines, to make things easier for the participant 'That is why machine exercise are very popular with body builders, they sculpting their body' that is their primary goal.

Ive used this quite a bit myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    Knee to chest-legs go straight out-do scissors and then repeat. After you go knee to chest pound your fists in to your stomach while finishing the rep. Your heels are not to touch the floor. Do as many as you can straight daiiy, rest on sunday or when ever. 1 rest day per week, the same day of the week. And then do a bit more the next week. And repeat. Do both sit ups and knee to chest...... Rockin'
                    Fully agree, knee to chest, scissors, Russian twists, and flutter kicks are great.

I would say sit ups are redundant

Comment

Working...
                    X