No announcement yet.

The reason I doubt Usyk can move up any further in weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
    He almost looks fat already at cruiserweight. Obviously he's not, he's in incredible shape, but he looks maxed out. He already has so much muscle on his arms, it looks like it's already not his best weight. As in, as good as he is at 200 lbs, his punches already look a little sluggish and sloppy, they dont snap out of his guard as quickly as they would if he was fighting at 190 lbs for example. If there was still a 190 lbs division, I think Usyk would be leaner, faster, and better. I think 200 is already not ideal for him. So the idea of him moving up even further, I just think it will slow him down a lot more than someone who is very lean moving up in weight, like Crawford. Crawford could probably move to 160 and not lose much handspeed. But Usyk is already maxed out.

For example, I saw his former opponent, the underrated Michael Hunter, move up to heavyweight, and he was SO much slower. He lost an incredible amount of speed.

With all that said, maybe it is possible for Usyk to add 10 lbs of muscle to his legs, only? Or his abs. Build up the calves to increase punching power and punch resistance, build up the abs to increase punching power and punch resistance to the body, build up the neck to increase punch resistance, and build up the rest of the legs to increase punching power. Between those four areas, Usyk could probably add 15 lbs, anyway, without slowing down the arms at all.

So, I guess it could be done. But if he bulks up anymore in his arms, I think it's already slowing him down and I think it will slow him down a whole lot if he takes it even further.

Also, Usyk's defense and his guard are both not as good as advertised. His guard is weak, punches break through it easily, think the opposite of prime GGG who had an amazing guard (which is why people who said his defense sucked because of his lack of head movement were missing a key factor in what made him so good in his prime), or Lomachenko who has a better guard than Usyk, and way better head movement and defense overall than both Usyk or GGG.

Usyk's defense I would put below Pacquiao's, even. I think Usyk's skill training is at a more complex, higher level than Pacquiao's, but Pacquiao is quicker all around than Usyk which allows him to unload his punches without staying in the pocket as long. So Usyk might be more skilled but just due to athleticism and experience, Pacquiao's defense was better overall, and obviously his handspeed and power were also better. Usyk way better jab though and goes to the body more consistently and better.
    Usyk's punches look sluggish and sloppy?

Lol .. try telling that to Gassiev and Bellew and tell us their response!

You are also considerably underestimating his defensive capabilities. He is a naturally aggressive guy with a solid chin who doesn't mind taking punches to land his own.

Different story when he knew he couldn't afford to take punches against Gassiev though.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      Find out what Usyk weighs when he steps into the ring. Chances are he doesn’t add a pound, just doesn’t cut weight prior to fights.
      Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      I missed this myself, but if correct that's about 5-6Lbs. So not nothing, but also really not much at all by todays standards. Puts me in mind of Froch who would also only put on 5 or 6 Lbs after weigh-in.
      Originally posted by el*** View Post
      He is 6-3 with a 78" reach. He has the frame for heavyweight, he will be fine.

He probably cuts some weight, if he was cutting no weight for cruiserweight, he would be coming in at 197 or whatever, not 200. A 10 lb cut would be nothing, so we could assume he is already 210 lbs or so.
      I've watched a few videos of Usyk in the gym preparing for fights and he definitely has to watch his weight to make 200lbs.

It's clear he does it by restricting calories while training, rather than dehydrating then rehydrating. I read something from one of his team - can't remember who it was now - saying they already have a diet and S&C program worked out to bring his weight up gradually after he makes the move to HW.

I've no idea what the target weight was, but if he did nothing more than eat as much as he liked while training, he would clearly be heavier in the ring than he has been at CW.

Comment

Find out what Usyk weighs when he steps into the ring. Chances are he doesn’t add a pound, just doesn’t cut weight prior to fights.
        Usyk cut a lot of weight in the last month.

Comment

Exactly! He does not have to put on weight. He just no longer has to cut weight. Even if he does not cut weight to make 200, he is fine. Smaller speedier heavyweights always have a chance against the heavy, slower, less coordinated ones.

Comment

Originally posted by earl-hickey View Post
            he doesn't look drained in the slightest for me. I have mentioned before David Haye as an example of a guy who in the last couple of fights at CW was starting to look drawn and obviously needed to move up, and he maxed out at 220

Also to not, people saying usyk "just" needs to gain 10-15lbs of muscle

As a guy in his 30s who is already somewhat muscular, if he was BODYBUILDING his best rate of natural muscle gain he could expect?

2-3lbs MAX per YEAR

that's if he's just pounding iron and keeping his cardio to a minimum, which obviously isn't boxing training.

I think he ought to just up his calories slightly and stay 210-215 at a slightly higher bodyfat

he doesn't need to have ripped abs at heavyweight.
            Are you kidding??!!

A 31 yo, 6' 3" guy who is naturally muscular and athletic - which Usyk is - could gain 3lb of muscle in a month without even trying, simply by increasing his calorie intake!

And I am speaking from personal experience there. I was lucky enough to inherit good muscle genes from both parents. My Mum and Dad were champion body builders who met each other at a competition.

I'm not as big as Usyk - 6' and around 12 stone - and 20 years older than him. But even at my age, I can easily gain muscle quickly by drinking whey protein and lifting weights.

Comment

The great ones are not bounded by ordinary people's doubts

Comment

What are you talking about? He throws an unreal number of punches, which point to him being in incredible shape and not carrying extra muscle mass or fat. He's also significantly, and I mean significantly faster than his peers. Bellew did a tremendous job timing him in first 3 rounds, but Usyk was still a LOT faster.

He'll easily put on a little more muscle mass while remaining significantly quicker than any other HW. Don't forget that Wilder fights at 220 despite being 5 inches taller than Usyk.

Comment

Usyk is huge for a cruiserweight. He has wide and broad shoulders. He was significantly larger than Bellew on Nov 10; Who was supposed to have been allegedly the naturally larger and stronger man but he was not.

Comment

I agree he should not bulk up. Many on here say he should hire a strength trainer and bulk up maybe 20 pounds to fight the giant heavyweights. This is boxing, not weight lifting. Packing on pounds of muscle from heavy weight lifting would slow his punches down and lessen their power and hurt his speed and stamina. Every boxer has a natural best fighting weight. A boxer can't just decide he wants to become a bigger man and bulk up 20 pounds or more of fat and muscle from strength training and eating a lot and get a good result. Usyk should fight heavyweights at his comfortable weight he is at now. Either he can beat them or he can't. The more weight he adds the less effective he will be.

Comment

dont necessarily agree but its a well thought out analysis anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X