Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for Deontay to get a new trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilder will never be known as a skillful boxer but you'll never stop learining so yeah this could be a wake up call for him. Don't try to change too much, just refine his tools cause Wilder is who he is - An athletic man who can bang.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
      Sooner or later he will stumble upon someone who has the chin to take his power, and all that person needs is just above average boxing skills to beat him. For instance if Usyk proves that he can take a serious punch at the heavyweights, then I see him cruising to a UD against Wilder.
      I have yet to see one. Stiverne was never the same after that beating he took in their first fight. Stiverne use to take a few shots to set his counterpunch traps & it worked both times against Arreola. He tried to do that against Wilder & it pretty much ended his career as his punch resistance was gone after that. There isn't any HW at the moment who could take a few of his best shots let alone for an entire 12 rounds. Stiverne was brave but it ended him. Wilder called it before the fight. He said Fury has to be perfect for 12 rounds & I only have to be perfect for a second... 2 seconds to be exact in this fight. It took 2 seconds for him to keep his belt. Some close rounds to score but the 2 KDs were the difference

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
        I have yet to see one. Stiverne was never the same after that beating he took in their first fight. Stiverne use to take a few shots to set his counterpunch traps & it worked both times against Arreola. He tried to do that against Wilder & it pretty much ended his career as his punch resistance was gone after that. There isn't any HW at the moment who could take a few of his best shots let alone for an entire 12 rounds. Stiverne was brave but it ended him. Wilder called it before the fight. He said Fury has to be perfect for 12 rounds & I only have to be perfect for a second... 2 seconds to be exact in this fight. It took 2 seconds for him to keep his belt. Some close rounds to score but the 2 KDs were the difference
        Stiverne in the first fight took Wilders best punches and didn't go down, so it's not like a person with a strong enough chin to take his punches doesn't exist. Get someone else who could do that but has superior boxing skills and Wilder is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
          I think Deontay finally has gotten his wake up call. Deontay has so many bad habits some of them will not be fixed. Do you think a new trainer can still be a help or is he stuck ?

A change of trainer will not change him. He has a very capable team around him now. If he does not listen and looks only to land power shots, that is on him. He is Lemieux 2.0

Comment

Stiverne in the first fight took Wilders best punches and didn't go down, so it's not like a person with a strong enough chin to take his punches doesn't exist. Get someone else who could do that but has superior boxing skills and Wilder is finished.
            I should have re worded that as Stiverne was the first & only one to survive but his career was pretty much over after that fight. Maybe one of the new top prospects has the chin to go with the skill & power...

Comment

I'm gonna say "yes," I think Wilder would benefit from a trainer like John David Jackson (I think that's his name). Jackson was Sergey Kovolev's former trainer who was there during Kovolev's reign of destruction where he was KO'ing everyone they put in front of him. Maybe Jackson could teach Wilder to be more fluid with his punches and rely less on winding up and landing the big shot.

Comment

wilder had a fractured hand in that fight...if he didnt stiverne would not have made it 12 rounds

Comment

I often wonder what his trainers are telling him. Do they actually teach him to just stand there swinging haymakers like a numpty? I've never seen any boxer outside of the movies who fights like him.

Comment

I've said this for years. The fact that they can't give the guy the most remedial of techniques...
                    They couldn't even tell him to feint Fury?? Seriously??
                    Guy has great reach, power, stamina, etc but he needs a coach that will get through to him.

Comment

If you notice Wilder made a subtle change in the ninth round that changed the fight. He started ending his combos with a left hook. That allowed him to get the two knockdowns as that punch was there for him the whole fight.

Wilder's team DOES make adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                      X