No announcement yet.

Wim Hof method for injury recovery and prevention

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    What about that new ice crap everyone is doing at these shops popping up everywhere. Those ice containers.
    Cryotherapy.

My gf works at a chiropractic clinic, and they're doing this detox where they partner with local businesses. As part of the deal I can do a week of cryotherapy for like $99. So I'm going to check it out. I've seen a lot of ufc guys doing it, supposed to help with recovery and such. No idea if it actually works, but planning to give it a go.

Comment

I also tried the Wim Hof method with some of my Tai Chi students in the Netherlands. For the students was it a try out, i still hang on to it.

It is very effective and i believe it helps for a stronger imune system.

For my boxing it also gives me strength and more energy ... at least that is what i feel

Comment

Originally posted by Douwe_Geluk View Post
        I also tried the Wim Hof method with some of my Tai Chi students in the Netherlands. For the students was it a try out, i still hang on to it.

It is very effective and i believe it helps for a stronger imune system.

For my boxing it also gives me strength and more energy ... at least that is what i feel
        Agree. IMO, Its effective for injury recovery and strengthens the immune system.

Comment

I do the Polar Bear Plunge every winter, is that the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
            I do the Polar Bear Plunge every winter, is that the same thing?
            partly, the method uses both cold exposure and breathing techniques adapted from meditative practices used by Tibetan monks. The breathing involves a series of 30-60 deep breaths followed by an extended breath hold. The cold exposure is daily short duration exposure to cold water. Some use ice water others use cold showers....or just turning on only the cold water at the end of your shower. Both are a way to stimulate the sympathetic nervous system, (body's fight or flight reaction) in a controlled manner, which is difficult to do otherwise

Comment

I have for a challenge took cold showers to the extreme, so let me break it down? Cold Showers are a acute stressor to the human body, and they increase cortisol, Nor-epinephrine and all the other stress hormones. Training in itself also increases these hormones, so from my experience? After training, jumping in a cold shower is not ideal. 'Maybe if you alternative between hot & cold, which will they create a pumping sort of action within the lymphatic system? This can be beneficial, I believe traditionally 'That is called a Scottish Shower, and James Bond used to shower in this fashion'.

But all in all, this Cold Shower craze, probably does give you benefits psychologically, and probably because it is a acute stressor? Flexes your immune system.

'But so does walking outside on a cold day, or just going outside in general and exercising'.

So to conclude: Cold Showers in y opinion are not massively beneficial 'On there own'.

Comment

On very hot days is when I enter a cold shower, but a hot shower opens you pores and lets a lot of junk out of your system

Comment

Working...
                X