Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergey Kovalev Feels That He's Finally Reaching His Full Potential

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
    Yeah but you will never have guys in modern days on top at 45 like Foreman or Hopkins did in NBA or football, soccer.
    Well thats cuz boxing has quality control problems. You can fight ANYBODY you want in boxing. And maybe you can fight the weakest contender & then the weakest title holder. And then the rankings are subjective to so can you trust them? I don't.

If boxers had to fight in a tournament of the 32 best boxers in a division to get to a title, like is what happens in most pro sports more or less, to get to claiming a title you'd see a whole lot less old mfers at the top. They'd get beat fighting top guys or they'd get worn down fighting THAT many top guys.

If you put any old QB in a similar situation you'd have guys lasting much longer on a more regular basis. In fact look at that Ice Cube basketball league. Thats a lesser form of basketball & its a lesser group of young talent involved & I heard there are a lot of old heads doing well there. That couldn't happen in the NBA cuz the cream rises to the NBA. But in their 3rd rate basketball league you can have old names doing well.

Thats boxing. Not cuz there isn't talent in boxing, but because you can decide the level of talent you wanna face (outside of a few instances, elimination fights & mandatory's) which is unique to boxing as far as highly watched sports go.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
      On a side note, I find most Americans pulling for Ward. Maybe it's a patriotic thing...who knows.
      You mean the fans? I was actually referring to the press; at least a good chunk of it. I recall that the British commentators (can't remember who aired the first fight) had Ward up one or two points; Lederman on HBO had Kovalev up several points.

So you see, it's as always a matter of opinion. There are no unanimous decisions when it comes to discussing boxing

Lastly, perhaps I can't forgive the Krusher for not having finished Ward after knocking him down!
      Last edited by Tatabanya; 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure how Kovalev feels he has reached his full potential at this point. He beat an uber driver in November & is about to face a fish market packer in March. I didn't like how the fights with Ward unfolded, but I think Sergey needs to beat top contenders to feel that he has truly bounced back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
          You mean the fans? I was actually referring to the press; at least a good chunk of it. I recall that the British commentators (can't remember who aired the first fight) had Ward up one or two points; Lederman on HBO had Kovalev up several points.

So you see, it's as always a matter of opinion. There are no unanimous decisions when it comes to discussing boxing

Lastly, perhaps I can't forgive the Krusher for not having finished Ward after knocking him down!
          Yes, I mean posters on here, not the press. I honestly don't care either way because I have my opinion and that's what counts to me.

And I can forgive Kovalev for not getting the KO because Ward is a special fighter. That's been proven and nobody almost beat him before Kovalev either.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
            I'm not sure how Kovalev feels he has reached his full potential at this point. He beat an uber driver in November & is about to face a fish market packer in March. I didn't like how the fights with Ward unfolded, but I think Sergey needs to beat top contenders to feel that he has truly bounced back.
            Those guys are solid pros and are ranked well in the WBO. It's not like they're bums. What would you have him do after suffering his first real loss, even if it was by low blows? Floyd just fought an 0-0 MMA fighter for crying out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
              Andre Ward and Isaac Chilemba. Don't leave him out just because he isn't a big name. That was Kovalev's first wake up call that he couldn't even go 4 rounds anymore against a boxer far below his level without gassing very badly. Getting robbed twice against Ward just showed him he was going to need to make big changes if he wanted to fix that problem, if it's possible to fix it at all at this point. We won't know until he goes rounds again.
              Well, i think that if he was really able to fix his alleged bad habits (drinking, poor conditioning, being arrogant and stuff), if i were the rest of the guys in the division, i'd be seriously worried. Because if a wear Kovalev can collect 3 belts becoming the undisputed LHW boogeyman, try figure what he could do to these guys @175, if he's really got rid of his own demons...

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                Not sure who he hasn't fought that would fight him. I think he has some good fights left in him. Some good competition at 175 now that for sure.

God knows Adonis won't fight anyone took 3 years to get him to finally fight a top quality Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  Because everyone reaches their potential as an athlete at 34.

GTFO.
                  34 is not to old to reach your full potential!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    Those guys are solid pros and are ranked well in the WBO. It's not like they're bums. What would you have him do after suffering his first real loss, even if it was by low blows? Floyd just fought an 0-0 MMA fighter for crying out loud.
                    I regard Gayfeather quite lowly. I expect better from Sergey. He already had his confidence-rebuilder fight. does he really need two? And if so, why say that he is now at his full potential?

Comment

Originally posted by Lb4qtrpndr View Post
                      Not sure who he hasn't fought that would fight him. I think he has some good fights left in him. Some good competition at 175 now that for sure.

God knows Adonis won't fight anyone took 3 years to get him to finally fight a top quality Jack.
                      Sergey could fight Beterbiev, Barrera, Gvozdyk, Bivol even Smith. If they don't have the balls to face him, that's on them.

Stevenson is a disgrace to the sport and is only looking for cherries. I would like for Jack to beat him, but he won't. He doesn't have the chin for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X