Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incorporating weights into your boxing routine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorporating weights into your boxing routine?

any1 do it? if so , how and what do u do

In my opinion weights aren't good for anything. They overbulk you and slow you down. You should just do exercises that use your body as weight and resistance training. You'll look lean, fast, athletic, and won't have the extra bulk that you don't need and slows you down. Most top boxers past and present don't use weights at all.

Comment

yeah it actually helped me a lot in the gym with attaining more speed

if uve ever seen the jeff fenech work out video from title boxing thats pretty much what we used to do

if not basically u get two dumbells and do 6 different exercises, you perform each exercise continually for 30 seconds and then switch, after the 6 exercises (3 minutes) you take a 30 second brake and repeat

we used to do this for 6-7 rounds at the end of each gym session, usually with 5 pound dumbells but right now pandas using 10 pound dumbells but only doing 3 rounds cuz im out of shape

Comment

I like to do my lifting routine in the morning and boxing at night.

Uhh, this is a weightlifting advice topic right? If so...

Strength training with full body workouts is the key. Most routines will have you lifting 3-4x a week. Not those common bodybuilder-type workouts where you work some body parts everyday. This is a great routine for starting out (and info on it and the exercises).

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Do that 3 days a week (non-consecutive days). They are great functional lifts especially the squat and deadlift for they can help build explosiveness.

As for getting bulky and slowing down, that's false information. You get bigger from eating a calorie surplus, not from weightlifting. And even if you do get bigger muscles, it won't affect you if you're doing proper strength training.

What routines like the above do is build your muscles as you get stronger. With routines like bodybuilding, it activates "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" which makes your muscles grow larger without an equal emount of strength gains. Specific strength training routines give you the strength that allows your body to carry around the added weight so it won't make a difference. Not sure if I explained the hypertrophy part right, but I know for sure that you won't be slowed down from weightlifting.

If you weren't even asking for advice... Well, I'll save this post for future references heh.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty07 View Post
          In my opinion weights aren't good for anything. They overbulk you and slow you down. You should just do exercises that use your body as weight and resistance training. You'll look lean, fast, athletic, and won't have the extra bulk that you don't need and slows you down. Most top boxers past and present don't use weights at all.
          your opinion is clearly not based on fact.

I say this again and again. strength training doesn't make you any bigger unless you are eating too many calories.

strength training does not make you slow or stiff or inflexible.

bodyweight training is still weight training.. the key is in the name.

two sites, all you will need:

http://www.rossboxing.com

http://www.stronglifts.com

that is all you need to know to make yourself stronger, more powerful and better conditioned in boxing.

Comment

thanks a lot everyone

green K given to every1

Comment

Disagree with this.

Squats, bench press, and deadlifts aka the big three..can easily improve your overall strength and explosiveness. These are compound lifts...which work your whole body as opposed to isolation exercises which only work one or two specific muscle groups, which is what most bodybuilders do to attain aesthetics.

With that said, it all comes down to your diet and how much weight you are actually lifting. You may think that weightlifting bulks you up because you think that weightlifting= big bodybuilder. But that's only because they train DIFFERENTLY. They aren't training for muscle endurance..they train for mass and strength.. and if they arent natural, the use of steroids is very common.

my .02cents

Comment

To answer your question, OP. Weights can be thrown into your boxing routine, but that aren't exactly a necessity, but if you train with weight the right way, they can be very beneficial. Compound Lifts and Olympic Lifts would be a great addition to a boxers training routine.

Comment

I don't know when I could fit lifting in between sparring and other training. IMO not necessary and I'd just skip it.

Comment

Do not spread those myths on this forum

Comment

Working...
                    X