Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incorporating weights into your boxing routine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave qwerty bad karma, because clearly his opinion is wrong. We got generations of boxers who worked one form or weight training or another to prove it.

Comment

Personally I weight-train 3 days a week, but as others said, it's not a typical bodybuilder's workout. That said, I do kind of emphasize either core/hips, shoulders, or back each of those 3 days. For the most part though I try to do compound movements. You're not going to concentration curl your way out of trouble in the ring.

Depending on how you train though I wouldn't say you really have too though, just what works for me.

P.S. People who say- weights: bad, bodyweight exercises: good- depress me...

EDIT: Also, try to use free-weights whenever possible
      Last edited by Trick; 07-05-2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Weights suck unless your intelligent and know how to use them.

weights make you bulk up. well they do and they dont. if your only lifting for strength doing low reps and high weight you might not bulk up supposing your an idiot on a low carb diet who never plans on running more then 5 miles at one time because you have **** stamina because you have **** carb storage then no they arnt going to make you bulk up but for the rest of us who like the boxers of the past eat healthy hearty meals to fill us up help us recover and give us energy where going to bulk up like arnold.

mean while theres the slightly more intelligent people who only use weights for high reps and low weights....theres no way to get bigger like this. you could eat a truck load of protien every day and you wouldnt build much muscle like this. you just train the muslce for endurance helping it break down lactacid acid, using oxygen more efficiently, and re process atp more quickly, but its not going to make you stronger really.

finally you have the really smart people who combine the low rep high weight exercises and the high rep low weight exercises to work the same muscle allowing them to eat as much as they want with out bulking, get stronger, increase speed, and build endurance.

but none of this should be done like those mma ******s. you should lift weights for the result you want exercises are 1000 times more useful in this manner and should never be done in a 3 mins here 3 mins here 3 min here ect like fashion.

the only time you should ever ever ever train like 3 mins here 3 mins here 3 mins here is when your doing the actual sport, things like shadow boxing, when your hitting the pads, on the double end bag, on the speed bag, the heavy bag or sparring.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 07-05-2010, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I don't use weight .I could be taking some off this article tho and working on some compound movements .Squats benchpress , clean and press etc
          http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Comment

weights make you bulk up. well they do and they dont. if your only lifting for strength doing low reps and high weight you might not bulk up supposing your an idiot on a low carb diet who never plans on running more then 5 miles at one time because you have **** stamina because you have **** carb storage then no they arnt going to make you bulk up but for the rest of us who like the boxers of the past eat healthy hearty meals to fill us up help us recover and give us energy where going to bulk up like arnold.
            No, that is false. A calorie surplus is what gains muscle mass. Plus, low reps high weight promotes strength over muscle mass. Even if you do gain muscle, it won't affect you for since this protocol promotes strength over muscle mass, the strength will adapt to the added weight from the muscle.

mean while theres the slightly more intelligent people who only use weights for high reps and low weights....theres no way to get bigger like this. you could eat a truck load of protien every day and you wouldnt build much muscle like this. you just train the muslce for endurance helping it break down lactacid acid, using oxygen more efficiently, and re process atp more quickly, but its not going to make you stronger really.
            Actually, this type of protocol is what promotes muscle mass gains over strength. The added volume from the extra repetitions causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. If you don't know what that is, it "involves the growth of the sarcoplasm (fluid like substance) and non-contractile proteins that do not directly contribute to muscular force production. Filament area density decreases while cross-sectional area increases, without a significant increase in strength."

finally you have the really smart people who combine the low rep high weight exercises and the high rep low weight exercises to work the same muscle allowing them to eat as much as they want with out bulking, get stronger, increase speed, and build endurance.
            I don't even know what you mean by this

but none of this should be done like those mma ******s. you should lift weights for the result you want exercises are 1000 times more useful in this manner and should never be done in a 3 mins here 3 mins here 3 min here ect like fashion.
            I don't do that type of training but I am offended, aha. But that's for a different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by karategan View Post
              No, that is false. A calorie surplus is what gains muscle mass. Plus, low reps high weight promotes strength over muscle mass. Even if you do gain muscle, it won't affect you for since this protocol promotes strength over muscle mass, the strength will adapt to the added weight from the muscle.
              and a calorie surplus is also what gives you stamina to do a 10 mile run on the weekend. what do you think happens when you combine the two?

A calorie surplus is what gains muscle mass.
              I agree.

Actually, this type of protocol is what promotes muscle mass gains over strength. The added volume from the extra repetitions causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. If you don't know what that is, it "involves the growth of the sarcoplasm (fluid like substance) and non-contractile proteins that do not directly contribute to muscular force production. Filament area density decreases while cross-sectional area increases, without a significant increase in strength."
              no hypertrophy and how ever its done occurs at something like 8-12 rep 3 sets at 60-80% 1 rep max with a min break/stretch in between each set. while low weight and high reps would not be average reps like 8-12 other wise i would have said average and not high... so high reps low weight would be something like 40-60 reps of 4-6 sets at 20-30% 1 rep max with a min break/stretch between each set performed at about 1 movement per second is great for improving speed and something like 30-40 reps of 2-4 sets of 30-50% 1 rep max with min break/stretch between sets is great for endurance.

I don't even know what you mean by this
              perhaps combining something like 3 sets of 1 rep max with 6 sets of speed then another 3 sets at one rep max. go do another exercise and come back to do another 3 sets at 1 rep max and 4 sets of endurance then 3 sets of 1 rep max.

I don't do that type of training but I am offended, aha. But that's for a different discussion.
              oh well.
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 07-06-2010, 05:27 AM.

Comment

and a calorie surplus is also what gives you stamina to do a 10 mile run on the weekend. what do you think happens when you combine the two?
                A calorie surplus wouldn't make that much of a difference for your stamina. Just eat good meals and you're good to go. Doesn't require a surplus. Plus if you're on a surplus, you're gonna gain weight and muscle mass if you do any type of resistance training (just some rep schemes build muscle more than others). And like I said, it won't affect you if you have the strength to match it.

no hypertrophy and how ever its done occurs at something like 8-12 rep 3 sets at 60-80% 1 rep max with a min break/stretch in between each set. while low weight and high reps would not be average reps like 8-12 other wise i would have said average and not high... so high reps low weight would be something like 40-60 reps of 4-6 sets at 20-30% 1 rep max with a min break/stretch between each set performed at about 1 movement per second is great for improving speed and something like 30-40 reps of 2-4 sets of 30-50% 1 rep max with min break/stretch between sets is great for endurance.
                Guess it was a just a misunderstanding, heh. But yeah it doesn't activate hypertrophy nearly as much but it still does for it's still volume. So if you do gain muscle, you won't have the strength to match it and it may slow you down. Just a real tiny bit maybe.

perhaps combining something like 3 sets of 1 rep max with 6 sets of speed then another 3 sets at one rep max. go do another exercise and come back to do another 3 sets at 1 rep max and 4 sets of endurance then 3 sets of 1 rep max.
                No, it's best to do two types of training in different sessions, not in the same one especially if you're doing strength seys. The super high rep sets will affect your strength on your strength sets, and the strength sets will affect your endurance on the super high rep sets so you won't be getting the maximum benefits from both of them. It's just like if you want to work maximum explosiveness, you don't mix in sprints with long distance.

Comment

No, it's best to do two types of training in different sessions, not in the same one especially if you're doing strength seys. The super high rep sets will affect your strength on your strength sets, and the strength sets will affect your endurance on the super high rep sets so you won't be getting the maximum benefits from both of them. It's just like if you want to work maximum explosiveness, you don't mix in sprints with long distance.
                  oftenly i do and it really does help. the the maximum explosiveness can be worked with any weight but more so the high weight low rep greatly improves your ability to use all the fibers at once and the low weight high rep exercises help to train the slow twitch fibers for maximum endurance and to almost train them to work at close to the same speeds as your fast twitch.

though really are you having trouble holding the gloves up? what do you need more strength for?

and if you did want to gain strength and mass you can mess around with the 3 -5 rep with 80-95% 1 rep max but im not to familiar with that area as i havnt looked into it and have no problem keeping my hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                    oftenly i do and it really does help. the the maximum explosiveness can be worked with any weight but more so the high weight low rep greatly improves your ability to use all the fibers at once and the low weight high rep exercises help to train the slow twitch fibers for maximum endurance and to almost train them to work at close to the same speeds as your fast twitch.

though really are you having trouble holding the gloves up? what do you need more strength for?
                    Hmm, well I guess it's fine if it works for you. I still strongly state to do them on separate days so you can focus on them one at a time.

As for the strength, I was simply correcting you when you said low reps high weight bulks you up big.

Comment

Hmm, well I guess it's fine if it works for you. I still strongly state to do them on separate days so you can focus on them one at a time.

eh fine i mean your still mixing it up at most though i would agree that neither way is better then the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X