Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Rocky Graziano never fight Jake LaMotta?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Rocky Graziano never fight Jake LaMotta?

Why did these two middleweights from metropolitan New York, who apparently knew each other before they became pro boxers, never meet in the ring?

They were close to the same age and fought some of the same opponents, such as Sugar Ray Robinson.

Been wondering this myself.

Comment

Because they were friends, so I've heard.

Comment

Lamotta offered the fight to Graziano and Graziano turned it down.
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          Why did these two middleweights from metropolitan New York, who apparently knew each other before they became pro boxers, never meet in the ring?

They were close to the same age and fought some of the same opponents, such as Sugar Ray Robinson.
          Because Graziano didn't want to get his ass kicked and was making great money fighting smaller guys while he waited for Zale to come home from the war?
          Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
            Graziano was not a ducker.

In 1945 he fought Billy Arnold, who was touted by The Ring Magazine and various newspapers across the United States as the next Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson.

Since Graziano beat Billy Arnold, I imagine he would have had a good chance of beating Jake LaMotta.
            Yeah I imagine Billy Garrigan too.
            Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Graziano was not a ducker.

In 1945 he fought Billy Arnold, who was touted by The Ring Magazine and various newspapers across the United States as the next Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson.

Since Graziano beat Billy Arnold, I imagine he would have had a good chance of beating Jake LaMotta.
              He was touted as the next big thing but in his first step up too see if his skills were legit against top opposition he was beaten by an Old Fritzie Zivic and got given a boxing lesson, Arnold was not a Elite calibre fighter and certainly not comparable to either Louis or Robinson, just a heavy handed prospect who racked up many impressive kos over some not so great opposition. Also because he was under 20 all of his bouts were under 10 rounds (New york state rules), hardly someone to compare with the Raging Bull.
              Last edited by NChristo; 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

LaMotta fought a lot of soft opponents in the earlier part of his career too.

from wiki:
                I'm not saying he didn't, to be honest I don't know why LaMotta and Graziano didn't fight which is why I haven't mentioned it (Would of been an incredible fight !), but, too bring Arnold onto LaMotta's level is silly.

From Warsaw Daily Union newpaper, Jan 8th 1945:

Comment

To strong, Rocky was really a junior middle, he didn't have power to keep Jake honest. Plus why knock off a potential live gate draw when the fight served no purpose, bad business!
                  At that time there were two middleweights Sugar & Jake, Cerdan could compete and Zale was a competitor to a degree but Jake & Sugar stood alone. Thats why they fought each other so much they could draw big together, no one wanted to see Rocky in with either of them. He'd be over matched. Ray.

Comment

I think LaMotta would probably have outworked him to a decision. Zale-LaMotta would've been enjoyable, although Zale likely would have handled him easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X