No announcement yet.

Most Overrated Fighters of All-Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    Gamboa was more overhyped than Rigo and made far more money. Had like a 1 million signing fee from Ahmet Oner.
    - -Gamboa prob had the best natural attributes of all the Fidel defectors save the mentality to save himself from the carrion scavengers around him.

Oner was particularly onerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -The cognoscenti, aficionados, and Cubanos moan over Rigormortis was pure comedy, most esp in the lead up to Loma.

I told them then exactly what Loma was gonna do and that was exactly how it played, one of the easiest and most obvious fight outcomes I ever called.

Not like I was some kind of genius though, but more like them too stricken dumb and blind to see Rigormortis' obvious deficiencies.

You got proof of that? I don't doubt you, it's just trust but verify.

I was shocked by how well Lomachenko did. The dude is clearly one of the best ever (probably top 5 or soemthing). But that performance blew my mind. I was sure Rigo was too crafty and too dangerous.

Comment

• IMO, Ray Mancini and Pipino Cuevas are extremely overrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by just the facts View Post
          IMO, Ray Mancini and Pipino Cuevas are extremely overrated.
          - -So is Joe Grim, the toughest man in boxing.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/10815

Comment

• Longhaul, you nailed it. There is an excellent story on The Golden Age of Boxing, with all the relative players in the Lightweight & Welterweight Division's. Armstrong, Amber's, Angott, Canzoneri, Ross, Zivic and some guy named Jenkins. I found this on Ebay, item "Davey Day & Henry Armstrong" seller is GOLDSTARSTAMPS they listed two pictures with complete story as the description. Go to search and you'll find it.The content attest to everything you said. Enjoy.
            Last edited by ron davis; 05-27-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• To me it would probably be Andre Ward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offic.Scorecard View Post
                To me it would probably be Andre Ward.
                I don't see Ward as overrated.

He won an Olympic gold medal, won the Super Six tournament against the best fighters at 168 lbs, and fought Sergey Kovalev close in two fights at 175 lbs. Breaking him down to the body in the rematch.

He has a lot of accomplishments to back up his reputation.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  I don't see Ward as overrated.

He won an Olympic gold medal, won the Super Six tournament against the best fighters at 168 lbs, and fought Sergey Kovalev close in two fights at 175 lbs. Breaking him down to the body in the rematch.

He has a lot of accomplishments to back up his reputation.
                  I could never agree with you. I give him a lot of credit for his Ring IQ, chin, determination and footwork, but for me he was nothing more than a very good & effective, well rounded, extremely dirty and protected (in many different ways) fighter. Nothing more than that. People are saying Golovkin and Kovalev are HBO's creations, but on the contrary, it suits Ward a lot better. The American media tried to portray him as a p4p no1, a living legend, who's run trough Super 6 was anything close to Pacquiao's run. I'm thinking about making a breakdown video on Ward somewhere in the future, when I do so, I'll send you the link.

Comment

• It takes a minimum of a near-great fighter to qualify for the honor of most overrated. It is plain old logic. No one ever mistakes a Butterbean for an ATG, despite a plethora of dramatic KOs of the kind which usually leave the general public slavering and primed to overrate.

Whereas I do not agree with Offic.Scorecard on Ward, Ward is great enough to qualify for the honor, whereas Mickey Ward would not have been, to use a handy example.

The most overrated title will almost always go to a huge puncher, which SOG was not.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      It takes a minimum of a near-great fighter to qualify for the honor of most overrated. It is plain old logic. No one ever mistakes a Butterbean for an ATG, despite a plethora of dramatic KOs of the kind which usually leave the general public slavering and primed to overrate.

Whereas I do not agree with Offic.Scorecard on Ward, Ward is great enough to qualify for the honor, whereas Mickey Ward would not have been, to use a handy example.

The most overrated title will almost always go to a huge puncher, which SOG was not.
                      Great post Lefty....Great post!

Comment

Working...
                      X